How to upgrade

ebenvn

The worst is when your wife asks what it cost and you reply R5000.00 (true value R30000.00), then she tells you she wants to get into it and you must buy her one :lol: :lol:

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm lucky. Mine did not even notice that I changed grips from orange to black. And the bike stands in the kitchen so you can not miss it.

If your wife is not seeing such an obvious colour change to a bike that she shares a room with all day every day, don't you think she should go to an optometrist?

On her day off, obviously.

To answer the OP's question: Bad news, I'm afraid. If you're already feeling upgraditis after your first ride, you bought the wrong bike. When buying stuff, always buy as high up the food chain as you possibly can.

The cost of buying slightly lower down the food chain and then upgrading is always higher than the cost of just biting the bullet and buying what you really want to start with.

The good news though, is that at least upgrading a bike is fun!

To answer the OP's question: Bad news, I'm afraid. If you're already feeling upgraditis after your first ride, you bought the wrong bike. When buying stuff, always buy as high up the food chain as you possibly can.

The cost of buying slightly lower down the food chain and then upgrading is always higher than the cost of just biting the bullet and buying what you really want to start with.

One problem when you start off is not knowing if it will be a one weekend thing or a long term thing. So many people have expensive bikes in their garages that are basically unused

One problem when you start off is not knowing if it will be a one weekend thing or a long term thing. So many people have expensive bikes in their garages that are basically unused

Poor bikes, wasting away. :( I would think there are lots of these types of bikes wasting away

Frame is the same as 800 D which is more pricey but has better components, so yes it can be upgraded over time then when you see a bargain frame you can swop over the parts.

Dont think I bought the wrong bike, just think Im over-eager!!!

Ok, so like I say, Im new to this, so dont judge me! - now the obvious question: Where do I start with. Thought of going for tubeless (what are the tyres, rims etc too look for. Do all the rims fit the same (26"). What is the main thing to look for on rims - weight, material etc)?

I say buy the best frame that you can afford and do not worry too much about components on a beginner bike as you are just going to trash them... I did this with my anthem and now she is upgraded and sexy like... :clap:

Upgradeatitis... I love that... has been laughing my ass off... :clap:

you will eat a lot of dust, hit rocks, etc....so rather learn with this bike....as you improve, maybe a year or so buy a new one :) I been usng my Giant Alias 2009 for 2 years now, only thing I upgraded was XT rims because I wanted tubeless which is better and less flats and last week upgraded to a XT crank/drivetrain, XT casette and XT chain...I am still doing competitive times and give the "top" bikes a beating...oh yes, get urself cleats, SPD shimano, your cycling improves!

So a need for an upgrade? NAH....just have fun!

+1 :thumbup:

Firstly, go ride your bike! As it is your first one you are going to use it to do a lot of firsts and with those firsts comes a lot of falling! Have two funds. A repair (upgrade) fund and a new bike fund. Upgrading for the sake of upgrading is expensive!!

I pretty much went the Upgrade over time route.

I learnt a few valuabel lessons.

I used a Giant Alias as a Base Bike, first thing I did was change the Rims to Mavic Cross Trails, then did the fork, and also did the crank over time.

Then i got the need to change the frame, for something stiffer, and ended up on a Zaskar Pro Frame.

On the new frame i did the FD and RD as well as an XT Crank (all XT).

Saddles, bars and stems over time too.

This was over an 20 Month odd duration. Now when i took delivery of the Alias it was around 8k Pay in on my trade in. A new Zaskar Pro would have been 20k at the time. With all the upgrades to the Alias, and eventually the Zaskar Build I estimate (8k for Alias + 4.5k for Mavic, + 4.5K for Fox fork + 2k for cranks, and shifters etc + 5.5 k for Zaskar Frame + 3k for XT Cranks and Delrailluers + say 2k for other bits and bits and bobs = around 29k for the what is now a fully fleged GT Zaskar Pro (spec almost identical, slightly inferior fork)

So what i in essence did was finance the bike over a 20 month period, paid a 9K premium for the easier cash flow, which is like 45% interst on financing the bike. Here is where it gets more sickening- I was on the O-bike website, and i see a new Zaskar out the box is 14k now.

So this begs the question: Would I do this again? Answer is logically NO. But this was a Fun project, and If you've got disposable cash, then do it the build bit by bit way. Lots of fun actually.

The other day I calculated my spend at CRC on parts, and got a huge shock (10g a year is not sustainable). Some spares, but the bulk of the cost is in upgrades. I would be better off buying a new full-suss bike every 18 months, then selling off the old one on the Hub (obviously described as "nearly new"). In the end though, you reach a pinnacle, where the spending should taper off ( please, please tell me that there is such a thing ??).

However, as mentioned by others, upgraditis is a fun disease, and I think no matter what bike you buy, some people would always want to tinker and improve. And if your wife complains, you can always tell her thats it still better than you spending time & money at the pub.

Don't foget your own kit as well! I started off cycling in rugby shorts, normal T shirts and takkies!

Hahaha- got my bike Sat, so only planned on getting kit Sunday. But woke up at 6, couldnt wait, so went out (in the rain) for a 20 min ride, with bordshorts and T-shirt... Got my kit after the stores opened and went for a proper cycle...

Question on kit: guys at Bruce reyecke told me its much better to buy gel pants - but at that price tag Im wondering if its worth it???

Ha ha you guys make me laugh!

Reminds me of a t-shirt I once saw a guy wearing at an event, and it read "Dear Lord, when I die please don't let my wife sell my bikes for what I told her I paid for them"

Had to laugh...not that it applies to me! No, no...not me;-)

Hahaha- got my bike Sat, so only planned on getting kit Sunday. But woke up at 6, couldnt wait, so went out (in the rain) for a 20 min ride, with bordshorts and T-shirt... Got my kit after the stores opened and went for a proper cycle...

Question on kit: guys at Bruce reyecke told me its much better to buy gel pants - but at that price tag Im wondering if its worth it???

DON'T skimp out on pants!! They are the ONLY protection you get under your ass!!