MTB SS crankset

RodTi

Hello all,

I'll be taking my current XT crankset over to a new frame, which will see me having to buy something new (albeit it quite possibly 2nd hand!) to put back on the soon-to-be SS frame.

Is there anything specific that I need to keep in mind - or can pretty much any crankset out there, be safely converted to run a single blade?

I've already popped up a post for any old XTR cranks - purely since I fell in love with the Thug's Jones mod - but have seen some other decent cranks on offer on the Hub - if the price is right, can I simply buy - or is there something specific that I must keep in mind, that might save me effort and RRR's in the long run??

Fanks!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As you're only going to be running a single blade up front, my suggestion would be to stick to a crank that allows you to use a non-ramped chainring such as a Blackspire.

The teeth on these type of chainrings are generally thicker than your average XT/SLX chainring and are generally far better suited to single speeds.

• 3 weeks later...

Any crank will do, make sure your BCD is 104mm so that you can fit just about any chainring (including Thugs recommended Blackspire - they are a weapon of choice).

Bear in mind that the cranks are going to be taking alot of torque and flex as you mash away on the gears. An external BB crank I would say is preferrable, I found when using a ISIS or square taper it did start to creak after a while. But I have used all these types in a single speed format with a variety of chainrings (ramped and non-ramped) and they all work.

Currently I am using a Saint crankset with a longer than average spindle (think it measures as 83mm for DH) and that works well with a single speed specific hub, making sure the chainline is straight. But this not a pre-requiset.

You can also bodge a an old triple into a single ring crankset by playing with the chainring bolts and/or spacers. There are however single speed specific cranksets out there, I know race face do quite a nice one. Middleburn have an awesome system as well - check out CRC but be prepared to pay the premium for the premium set.

So ideally, you can pay long dollars for top kit or you can bodge it from stuff in the garage. Don't be shy to ask how, and a bodge single speed in the beginning (if its your first one) always seems to inspire - little money, max reward, big grin factor!

I'm using an XT crank, but bought a stainless steel chainring from Kiwi instead of using the XT's middle ring.

Hello all,

I'll be taking my current XT crankset over to a new frame, which will see me having to buy something new (albeit it quite possibly 2nd hand!) to put back on the soon-to-be SS frame.

Is there anything specific that I need to keep in mind - or can pretty much any crankset out there, be safely converted to run a single blade?

I've already popped up a post for any old XTR cranks - purely since I fell in love with the Thug's Jones mod - but have seen some other decent cranks on offer on the Hub - if the price is right, can I simply buy - or is there something specific that I must keep in mind, that might save me effort and RRR's in the long run??

Fanks!

Like this , hehe, this dude didnt even do it nice. Dude I have one, in ok condition, all 3 rings are actually still good. Which Xt's do you have, We can barter maybe. I just dont want to ride them because blades are hardish to come by.

post-1279-0-13263800-1294934159.jpg

post-1279-0-12129600-1294934501.jpg

Any crank will do, make sure your BCD is 104mm so that you can fit just about any chainring (including Thugs recommended Blackspire - they are a weapon of choice).

Bear in mind that the cranks are going to be taking alot of torque and flex as you mash away on the gears. An external BB crank I would say is preferrable, I found when using a ISIS or square taper it did start to creak after a while. But I have used all these types in a single speed format with a variety of chainrings (ramped and non-ramped) and they all work.

So ideally, you can pay long dollars for top kit or you can bodge it from stuff in the garage. Don't be shy to ask how, and a bodge single speed in the beginning (if its your first one) always seems to inspire - little money, max reward, big grin factor!

Thanks MT - I've been forced to find a new crank - having gave away my old one a few years back... Picked up a new LX Deore (M542??) for cheap cheap - so I'll see what I can manage with it... It has an external BB, no? Hmmm - will check...

As for the ring - will presumambly simply take off the inner and outer blades - and then worry about a replacement when I kill the middle one...

Oh, but please clarify the BCD? Diameter(??) of ?? For future reference ;)

Can't wait - not much longer now. Should have the new frame up and running at the end of Feb - and will then start building up the SS... Still need to arrange a post and headset. Wheels will unfortunately have to start off tubed - but figure my first rides are going to be on the tar in any event! :)

Like this , hehe, this dude didnt even do it nice. Dude I have one, in ok condition, all 3 rings are actually still good. Which Xt's do you have, We can barter maybe. I just dont want to ride them because blades are hardish to come by.

Bos - I have the XT M770's.... I reason them to still be in good nick, purely because I'm lucky enough not to rub up against the crank when I pedal!

Regardless, I'm keeping the XT's for the Unicoi, and have just purchased the LX for the SS...

Which blows, naturally.

Your timing sucks :P - I placed the order for the LX last night! :wacko:

Do me a favour and hang on to them for me, I'm pretty sure I'll come find you later in the year, in an effort to persuade you to sell them to me! ;)

Edited by RodTi

Bos - I have the XT M770's.... I reason them to still be in good nick, purely because I'm lucky enough not to rub up against the crank when I pedal!

Regardless, I'm keeping the XT's for the Unicoi, and have just purchased the LX for the SS...

Which blows, naturally.

Your timing sucks :P - I placed the order for the LX last night! :wacko:

Do me a favour and hang on to them for me, I'm pretty sure I'll come find you later in the year, in an effort to persuade you to sell them to me! ;)

If I wasnt getting the Newer(not newest) versions which my specialites fit onto (looks lik pic below) I would definately keep them, some guys have made them seriously nice! Its just difficult to find a 42T bigring in essence, which fits on the 102BCD of the older XTR. I was looking for those so long and finally got them, Im wondering how I can make my specialites fit those. Might do a bit of a hacksaf and file job with the new ones. though. Let me know If you want them soon(month) or you might find them on the hub in about 3 weeks once Ive decided what I want to keep

post-1279-0-71544800-1294943747.jpg

Edited by Bos

RodTi. I am using Shimano LX cranks for my 29er SS. They are bulletproof. My ss inherited them when my geared bike got XT cranks. All I did was install a 32t Blackspire SS chainring and have had thousands of trouble free kms with them. And yes they use the same external BB setup as the XT's and XTR's.

RodTi, the BCD means - Bolt Center Diameter (i think thats what it means.... :unsure: ) and it is the distance between the chainring bolts. There is a specific way of calculating them.

Now the larney ou's that have XTR will have to deal with non standard BCD like 102mm, or something like that. As for the rest of us normal (poor) folk we use the standard - 104mm. Chainrings are really easy to find to fit the 104mm BCD spacings, for instance go have a look at all the Blackspire offerings at CRC.... the only thing is that you cannot use a chainring smaller than 32t on a 104mmBCD, well that is what I can make out - if someone has figures how then please let me know.

So if you want to run say, a 28/42t setup on a standard crack with 104 BCD, you need to fit the 42 in the space reserved for your standard middle chainring and you need to find a 28 that has a BCD of 64mm - the 64 being the BCD of the granny chainring. All very complex I tell you. The more beer you consume while discussing this, the easier it is generally to understand. You do hawever start to go backwards with the understanding part after a while, normally happens after beer unit #9 or so. :rolleyes:

If I wasnt getting the Newer(not newest) versions which my specialites fit onto (looks lik pic below) I would definately keep them, some guys have made them seriously nice! Its just difficult to find a 42T bigring in essence, which fits on the 102BCD of the older XTR. I was looking for those so long and finally got them, Im wondering how I can make my specialites fit those. Might do a bit of a hacksaf and file job with the new ones. though. Let me know If you want them soon(month) or you might find them on the hub in about 3 weeks once Ive decided what I want to keep

BOS, I hope that isn't your S-works in that picture. To give up on a Zula to ride a Spaz..... shame on you!!!!

Edited by MoreTrails

BOS, I hope that isn't your S-works in that picture. To give up on a Zula to ride a Spaz..... shame on you!!!!

DONT EFFING INTERRIGATE ON MY PRIVATE ER BIKE, HEHE NOOIT BRU, THE ZULA IS A STAYEN, THE BIKE IN THE PICTURE, IS A YETI THAT I BOUGHT FOR THE BOK, NOT BAD HEY, I MEEN IF YOUR BOK HAD A YETI, THAT WOULD MAKE YOU, WEL, N LEKKE OKE

BY THE WAY, I NEED TO GO RIDE THIS TRAIL WITH YOU..IVE NEVER RIDDEN IT, BUT I WAS TOLD, ITS LIKE A WORLDCUP DH TRACK, ITS 9MINUTES LONG AND ITS IN TOWN, ISH AREA.

I use an SLX crank, think It looks almost as good as a XTR crank, got the short bolts from singlespeed.co.za.

post-2975-0-01527100-1295018738.jpg

You could also use Shimano Alivio M411's The crank has a BCD of 104mm, so fits most rings out there. On top of that the cranks are cheap, and a little heavier than most, which also means less flex from the torque - and price wise you can't go wrong.

Edited by EigerSA

• 2 months later...

Thanks for all the info Hubbers! :thumbup:

But thought I'd revive this now, since the build is imminent! :clap:

The LX cranks I bought, have been lying in a box, unopened until the past weekend.

On taking them out - I had one of those "hmmmm" moments... <_<

Read through all of the above again - but cannot get my head around this - can the crank be successfully converted to a SS setup?

In the pic below - I've only noticed now how the 'spindle-arms' [what would the correct term be?] - unlike in the XTR range, don't continue up to the outer blade... The big blade bolts into the recess on top, and the middle blade bolts in from the back - but all of it being 'next to' the spindle arm, if that makes sense... Surely if the big blade is removed from the picture, it will leave a very-visible recess where it was clamping in to... More importantly, I'm wondering whether removing the big blade won't reduce the structural integrity of where the middle blade clamps in to...?

Wait - I've just looked at the pic closely again - I actually cannot see how this could be done? I will have to go and look properly tonight again... :blush:

Your thoughts will obviously be appreciated...

post-1360-0-61199200-1300800869.png