So, Rider, Who Is The Cycling Legend That Inspires You...

'Dale

:lol:

And there was that story about her doing a lap of a race topless in protest about some stupid rule.

It's perfectly fine that people stand up for their rights!

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hero:

Jan because he's human (partying, crashing Porsches, getting fat etc).

Jens because he shows that a steel mind makes up for lack of natural ability.

Gianni Bugno a man that defnied panache!

Burry because he has a future brighter than the sun.

Greg because he's more consistent than Macdonalds.

Vino because all he knows is ATTACK ATTACK ATTACK

and others I can't remember right about now....

Watching Cancellara decending is always a treat for me. But when it comes to inspiration I have to side with Scotty on Rick Hoyt. Every now and then I just browse to Youtube to watch some of those video clips to fire up my spirit.

Hi Slowbee, have to agree about Mathilda (sleeping beauty I think she was called)

Haven't been on the hub for a very long time and hardly recognize any of the names on the board, good to see an old face

+1 on Tinker, he has always been an inspiration for me.

Others:

Laurent Fignon

Alan Van Heerden

Marco Pantani

Ned Overend

+1 for Tinker, brilliant rider and still winning at 49 years old - incredible!!

Jan Ulrich, he was never a pedigree climber but used to grind the big mountains out, up front with the mountain goats.Was just pissed off when he waited for Armstrong that time, as a token of his eternal gratitude, Armstrong attacked him. Pity he didnt last so long.

Greg because he's more consistent than Macdonalds.

My brother and I were having a conversation the other day saying that Atherton is the most talented (all I'm seeing, racing and otherwise, makes me rate him as the best rider in the world at the moment - easy now Cap!), but Greg is Mr Professional. Him and Vouilloz are the two most consumate pro DHers in history, in my opinion.

glenn, the dude who rode with the singlespeed to capetown on last year's freedom challenge. not because of his determination or his technical abilities, nor for the amazing singletrack he built in waterval-boven - but for his humility and genuine-ness and sharing his knowledge and just generally the brilliant person that he is .... and cos he's got a cute smile :)

hardy, the dark&dirty dude, for thinking up D&D, and cos of his kindness and enthusiasm and energy - and cos they always wait for the back-markers :D

dangle, cos he's slightly crazy :D

Edited by cat-i

Gino Bartali has earned respect for his work in helping Jews who were being persecuted by the Nazis in the during the time of the Italian Social Republic. It emerged in December 2010 that Bartali had hidden a Jewish family in his cellar and according to one of the survivors, by doing so saved their lives [18]

Bartali used his fame to carry messages and documents to the Italian Resistance.[19][20] Bartali cycled from Florence through Tuscany, Umbria, and Marche, sometimes traveling as far afield as Rome, all the while wearing the racing jersey emblazoned with his name. Neither the Fascist police nor the German troops risked discontent by arresting him.

Giorgio Nissim, a Jewish accountant from Pisa[19], was a member of DELASEM,[21] founded by the Union of the Israelitic Communities to help Jewish Italians escape persecution. The network in Tuscany was discovered in autumn 1943 and all members except Nissim sent to concentration camps. He met Pope Pius XII and, with the help of the Archbishop of Genoa, the Franciscan Friars and others he reorganized DELASEM and helped 800 escape.

Nissim died in 2000. His sons found from his diaries that Bartali had used his fame to help. Nissim and the Oblati Friars of Lucca forged documents and needed photographs of those they were helping. Bartali used to leave Florence in the morning, pretending to train, rode to a convent in which the Jews were hiding, collected their photographs and rode back to Nissim. Bartali used his position to learn about raids on safehouses.[22][23]

Bartali was eventually taken to Villa Triste in Florence. The SD and the Italian RSS office, Mario Carità questioned Bartali, threatening his life.[23] Bartali simply answered "I do what I feel [in my heart]".

Bartali continued with the Assisi Underground. In 1943, he led Jewish refugees towards the Swiss Alps himself. He cycled pulling a wagon with a secret compartment, telling patrols it was just part of his training. Bartali told his son Andrea only that "One does these things and then that's that".

glenn, the dude who rode with the singlespeed to capetown on last year's freedom challenge. not because of his determination or his technical abilities, nor for the amazing singletrack he built in waterval-boven - but for his humility and genuine-ness and sharing his knowledge and just generally the brilliant person that he is .... and cos he's got a cute smile :)

:thumbup:

He's a really nice guy, and very humble too.

Gotta be Jens Voigt - there is not another guy out there that can bury himself for hos team like that man does.

Jan Ullrich - I reckon the best cyclist who never really made it

"Il Pirato" was the guy who thought the Alps were flat - he made climbing look easy