More Technical info on Hill Training required!

CharlV

Hi all

On the back of the "Hill training" and "Climber or Racer" strings ,I would like to know what ratio's most cyclists run on i.e. I battle my arse off with a 34/50 front and 11/24 (changed to 11/28 yesterday) rear cassette .

I realise these ratios are probably not easy to use as individual power and fitness vary . However let's do this excerice as folow:

Length:1.89m

weight: 105Kg

front : 34/50

rear : 11/28

This should be interesting !!!:thumbup:

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When the road points upwards everybody suffers, but some people suffer at a higher velocity than others.

The answer is not in equipment. The most important thing is to choose your parents carefully.

As you may have left that part a bit late, if you want to get better at hill climbing, there is only one option remaining: climb more hills.

Answered it...you can close the thread now. :)

Hey Charl, I don't think you need much technical info.. if you ride up and down hills a lot and trim down a bit your hill climbing will improve exponentially. I'm talking like at least twice as fast. I've lost 2 or 3kg's off myself and a bit less than 1 off the bike and I'm about 10-15% faster.

Pushing 105kg's + bike up a hill with a reasonable gradient requires massive power. If you keep training, ditch the flab and keep the power you will be flying up the hills.

When the road points upwards everybody suffers, but some people suffer at a higher velocity than others.

The answer is not in equipment. The most important thing is to choose your parents carefully.

As you may have left that part a bit late, if you want to get better at hill climbing, there is only one option remaining: climb more hills.

Answered it...you can close the thread now. :)

Monster

no! no !,,,,,.........

Length-------------

weight-------------

rear-----------------

Front---------------

now wright it down and send it !:thumbup:

Ok, I will take the bait here first :

Length : 1.81 meters

Weight : 73kg

Front : 50 / 34

Rear : 11 / 23 (until last week)

11 / 25 (New this week)

I am still running 'standard' 53/38 (I think :unsure: ) and 11-24 on my road bike, but will be changing it to 11-27 or 28 soon as I am finding I too often am in my slowest/easiest gear on the hills and would prefer to be able to spin a bit more.

Edited by GF29er

Hey Charl, I don't think you need much technical info.. if you ride up and down hills a lot and trim down a bit your hill climbing will improve exponentially. I'm talking like at least twice as fast. I've lost 2 or 3kg's off myself and a bit less than 1 off the bike and I'm about 10-15% faster.

Pushing 105kg's + bike up a hill with a reasonable gradient requires massive power. If you keep training, ditch the flab and keep the power you will be flying up the hills.

Luke

This is just the problem, found a 1.5km 6-8% hill and trying to excersise on it ,the problem is at my current ratio setting, I K@K off with-in the first 500metres , I am fairly fit and ( like previosly mentioned do a flatish 100km race in 3hours,)

i just need to understand if i,m just really k@k at hills or on wrong settings :)

Monster

no! no !,,,,,.........

Length-------------

weight-------------

rear-----------------

Front---------------

now wright it down and send it !:thumbup:

My length is irrelevant, and I don't wish to boast, so if it's all the same to you, I'll list my height instead.

Height: 1.70

Weight: 66

Rear: 12/26

Front: 53/39 (I think)

PowerBalance Magic Pixie Dust Bracelet: Not installed

But this is going to be less than meaningless, as you don't know how fast any of us go up hills. And even if you did know how fast we went up hills, it's not the gear ratio selection that gets us up the hill.

Luke

This is just the problem, found a 1.5km 6-8% hill and trying to excersise on it ,the problem is at my current ratio setting, I K@K off with-in the first 500metres , I am fairly fit and ( like previosly mentioned do a flatish 100km race in 3hours,)

i just need to understand if i,m just really k@k at hills or on wrong settings :)

If you are carrying extra weight, it's the hills where it will punish you. Climbing a hill, you are constantly accelerating, just to prevent slowing down.

On the flats, once you are up to speed your mass is irrelevant. This is why guys are not shy to bring out the heavy-ass aero wheels for flat races, but want skinny-ass lightweight wheels for the steeps.

Luke

Ok, no problem. Your setup sounds like a good one if you have been struggling to get up the inclines.

I run 53/39 which is pretty much standard at the front. 11-25 at the back for summer (hilly) races, 11-23 in spring. I am 1.91m tall, weigh 83kg and ride with 177.5mm cranks for extra torque. I used to ride everything in the big ring but tend to try and spin more these days - working on a more efficient pedal stroke.