Carla Swart

fandacious

Barry Austin, Cycling South Africa’s team manager, who saw the accident happen said Swart turned around right in front of the oncoming truck moments after she had lost her cycling computer.

“I could see how the driver pushed as hard as he could on his brakes. He even swerved to the right so as to avoid smashing into Swart, but it was to no avail. The truck hit Swart full on, flinging her into the air,” Austin said.

“I immediately rushed to where Swart was lying."

Swart unfortunately died before she reached the hospital.

According to Austin, Swart was doing time trialing exercises when the accident happened.

“I was following behind in my car. As we got to a slight incline on the road I saw Swart pressing one of the buttons on her cycling computer. I think she was trying to get an interval reading. The next moment her computer was flying through the air and landed somewhere in the veld.

“I immediately stopped to retrieve it. As I got out of my car a truck passed me from behind. I did not really take notice of it.

What a hectic story!

Terrible that Barry had to watch it happen.

The truck driver must feel terrible too.

So Sad.

May she rest in peace.

Condolences to her family and anyone close to her.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

:( So very very sad!

This was the story on news24.com:

Swart swerved into truck path

2011-01-19 18:21Email | Print

Cape Town - Elite South African cyclist Carla Swart has died in an accident during a time-trial training session, Cycling South Africa (CSA) said on Wednesday

The 23-year-old was hit by a truck on Wednesday morning on the road to Marquard in the Free State, CSA said in a statement on its website.

CSA team manager Barry Austin, who witnessed the accident, said Swart lost her cycling computer and, in an effort to retrieve it, turned around directly in front of an oncoming vehicle. She died on the way to hospital.

"I could see how the driver pushed as hard as he could on his brakes," said Austin.

"He even swerved to the right so as to avoid smashing into Swart, but it was to no avail.

"The truck hit Swart full on, flinging her into the air. I immediately rushed to where Swart was lying."

When she was 15-years-old, Swart and her family moved to Georgia, in the United States, but she continued to represent South Africa at international level.

In 2006 she attended Lees-McRae College, in North Carolina, receiving a scholarship for cycling and athletics.

She became the first cyclist to win national collegiate titles in all four disciplines - road, mountain biking, track and cyclocross - with 11 titles in the 2008 season.

Swart was 10th in the women’s road race at the 2010 Road World Championships in Melbourne, Australia, in October when she finished three seconds behind winner Giorgia Bronzini in a sprint finish.

Eight days later she placed eighth in the women's road race at the Commonwealth Games in Delhi, India, in another sprint finish.

Swart was to have joined the HTC High Road team this year.

Terrible news..You were a great ambassador to ladies cycling. R.I.P. Carla, Condolences to family and friends.

Baie hartseer! Ons gebede is met al die familie, vriende en span lede. Ook vir die trok bestuurder in die tragiese ongeluk.

The story is leading the Beeld this morning - I choked a bit when I read her dad's comments - and my brother's piece on her is on Page 3 of today's The Star.

RIP Carla.

This is so tragic! According to Beeld she was still alive right after the accident and Barry rushed her to hospital in Winburg. Declared dead when she arrived.

This must've been a horrific experience for Barry.

Condolences to friends and family.

Edited by Squier

It's slightly off-topic, but I think still relevant. It comes from Ray's newsletter:

Good morning Barry, I hope you’re well and gonna have a rocking day.

In 2003, the first Ride of Silence was held in Dallas after endurance cyclist Larry Schwartz was hit by the mirror of a passing bus and killed… drawing 1000 cyclists through word of mouth in just ten days. No registration, no fees… just solidarity and mourning the loss of another fellow cyclist.

Reported as being incredibly moving, the news spread worldwide of cyclists wiping away a tear or patting a friend on the back as they rode in silence. From here, the event has spread to over 300 events around the world, and all seven continents!

2010 was the first year the Ride of Silence was held in South Africa and proved to be a success, albeit it very small with just three events nationwide. The vision is to grow this to at least have one event in each province… but hopefully make it accessible to everyone who has a bicycle.

Confirmed rides for 2011 are currently:

Cape Town

Johannesburg

Port Elizabeth

Robertson

Victoria West

Event details:

Date: Saturday 21 May

Start: 10am

Distance: Maximum of 20km

Route: Flat to gentle rolling hills

Speed: Maximum of 20km/h

Style: Single file in absolute silence

Dress: Cyclists are encouraged to wear black, red or white… and/or to wear armbands in remembrance

Black: know someone who has been killed / Red: been injured or know someone who has been

Following the tragic death of Carla Swart yesterday, cyclist safety is on everyones lips again… and, while I hate to do this, I was hoping that we could use the current heightened activity to spread the word of the Ride of Silence and get people involved.

For more information about Ride of Silence: www.RideOfSilence.org

What do you think?

All the best

Ray

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Ray D. Chaplin :: Adventurer - Campaigner - Educator

It's slightly off-topic, but I think still relevant. It comes from Ray's newsletter:

Good morning Barry, I hope you’re well and gonna have a rocking day.

In 2003, the first Ride of Silence was held in Dallas after endurance cyclist Larry Schwartz was hit by the mirror of a passing bus and killed… drawing 1000 cyclists through word of mouth in just ten days. No registration, no fees… just solidarity and mourning the loss of another fellow cyclist.

Reported as being incredibly moving, the news spread worldwide of cyclists wiping away a tear or patting a friend on the back as they rode in silence. From here, the event has spread to over 300 events around the world, and all seven continents!

2010 was the first year the Ride of Silence was held in South Africa and proved to be a success, albeit it very small with just three events nationwide. The vision is to grow this to at least have one event in each province… but hopefully make it accessible to everyone who has a bicycle.

Confirmed rides for 2011 are currently:

Cape Town

Johannesburg

Port Elizabeth

Robertson

Victoria West

Event details:

Date: Saturday 21 May

Start: 10am

Distance: Maximum of 20km

Route: Flat to gentle rolling hills

Speed: Maximum of 20km/h

Style: Single file in absolute silence

Dress: Cyclists are encouraged to wear black, red or white… and/or to wear armbands in remembrance

Black: know someone who has been killed / Red: been injured or know someone who has been

Following the tragic death of Carla Swart yesterday, cyclist safety is on everyones lips again… and, while I hate to do this, I was hoping that we could use the current heightened activity to spread the word of the Ride of Silence and get people involved.

For more information about Ride of Silence: www.RideOfSilence.org

What do you think?

All the best

Ray

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Ray D. Chaplin :: Adventurer - Campaigner - Educator

Great Idea! I will definitely attend the one in JHB this year.

On another note: What happened to 'Critical Mass'. Maybe more of us should join those rides as well?