Carla Swart

fandacious

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

R I P

road riding is just not safe in this country to many drivers just dont give ****

That is true but if you've read about THIS incident, the driver did everything to avoid her. It is still a very sad story no matter who is to blame.

That is true but if you've read about THIS incident, the driver did everything to avoid her. It is still a very sad story no matter who is to blame.

I agree - this is a sad story and one that I don't like to read about at all. But reading the story in the paper, I feel it is a bit harsh blaming just the driver for her death. If the driver of the truck was speeding or drunk, it is another story...

But as sad as this is, the cyclist (according to what I read in the paper) looked over her shoulder and ended up right infront of the truck.

I have done this myself a couple of times - looked over my shoulder and then go off my line more into the road!!!

These days if I drop something while cycling, I slow down, get off the road and then look behind me!!! It is a pain in the ass but it safe!

I agree - this is a sad story and one that I don't like to read about at all. But reading the story in the paper, I feel it is a bit harsh blaming just the driver for her death. If the driver of the truck was speeding or drunk, it is another story...

But as sad as this is, the cyclist (according to what I read in the paper) looked over her shoulder and ended up right infront of the truck.

I have done this myself a couple of times - looked over my shoulder and then go off my line more into the road!!!

These days if I drop something while cycling, I slow down, get off the road and then look behind me!!! It is a pain in the ass but it safe!

RIP Carla.

Guys, just to rub it in a bit more.

But please ride your bikes with the thought in your head the whole time that there is a car next to you that hasnt seen you.

Thinking that, even if there is no-one (or you think so at least) will make you more aware before you do anything sudden.

Nice gesture

Adelaide - Riders for the US-based HTC-Highroad team wore black armbands during Thursday's third stage of the Tour Down Under to commemorate the death of recent signing Carla Swart in a training accident

http://www.sport24.co.za/OtherSport/Cycling/Black-armbands-for-Swart-20110120

I have just come from the launch of the MTN sponsorship of the Lions rugby team. Owen Nkumane opened proceedings with a minutes silence in rememberance of Carla Swart. Very moving stuff.

A very sad day for S A Cycling our condolences to the Swart family. May the Lord give you strength during such a tragic time.

May Carla rest in peace.

Barry our thoughts are also with you. This must be a very trying time for you! May you find the strength to continue doing

the fantastic job you are doing for the youngsters.

To those out there slagging off about who is to blame! We are all aware that the roads are unsafe no matter what mode of transport

one is utilising. We are also to aware that there are far too many cyclists killed on our roads and that there is little one can do to protect us.

In all walks of life we all make an error in judgment or a decision on the spur of the moment that will have consequences, some times fatal!!

So lets stop blaming of the truck driver and as someone put it "You stupid cyclists". No one is perfect!!!!! We are human............

Rest in peace Carla. You left a deep legacy through your riding. May your legacy continue beyond your living, inspiring us to be champions, and to look after ourselves and each other on the roads.