Carbon wheels? Deep dish? What to do

Rick

You dont need to spend 15K, thats not needed. Ok you want one set of wheels that are awesome and that are going to be strong enough for you. Truse me I have tested many sets of wheels. My weight is 118kg, not fat. but big and strong. Myself I am a campag fan and would suggest going with shamals, but seeing that you are going to be fitting Shimano Dura Ace on the bike.... No weight limit and are great for training and racing.

These are @ CWC R12 000.00

http://www.cwcycles.co.za/sites/default/files/imagecache/product/7850_dura_ace_wheels.jpg

yeah, these were what i was mentioning in the original post, the 7850s. They seem super. Everything I've read about them is good. I'm gonna check out the campags now quick.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just saw in latest bicycling Zipp 404 full carbon clinchers @R15 000. Can this be true?

So they are aero and convenient when ya get a puncture.

I ride american classic RD440's at the moment for training and racing. I just change the tyres for racing.

But I really, really, really, really really, (Add many more here...) WANT a set of Zipp 404's. (for racing)

Every night I whisper Zipp 404 into my wifes ears as she falls asleep. Sometimes she wakes up and asks me WTF am I talking about. I just smile and say not to worry it will all make sense soon. LOL.

Maybe towards the end of this year this will come true.

Just saw in latest bicycling Zipp 404 full carbon clinchers @R15 000. Can this be true?

So they are aero and convenient when ya get a puncture.

I ride american classic RD440's at the moment for training and racing. I just change the tyres for racing.

But I really, really, really, really really, (Add many more here...) WANT a set of Zipp 404's. (for racing)

Every night I whisper Zipp 404 into my wifes ears as she falls asleep. Sometimes she wakes up and asks me WTF am I talking about. I just smile and say not to worry it will all make sense soon. LOL.

Maybe towards the end of this year this will come true.

Lol :)

Yeah, i was sold on the Dura ace C50, but the dude in the shop said he'd give me 404s for 15k. I have no doubt the zipps will perform well, just think the dura ace might be better day to day. Tough one

And now I see the 808s are 19k for the clincher at cwcycles... Are these just more awesome or have I lost the plot? Had a live chat with Zipp and the bloke reckons the 808 is the thing. Apparently handles wind better, lighter and stringer than the 404. More confusion :(

And now I see the 808s are 19k for the clincher at cwcycles... Are these just more awesome or have I lost the plot? Had a live chat with Zipp and the bloke reckons the 808 is the thing. Apparently handles wind better, lighter and stringer than the 404. More confusion :(

OMG, you have totally lost the plot think you need to be booked into the mental institute.

na stick with 404, 808 are for time trialling and big boys like fabian cancellara.

Edited by The_Break

Value for money, looks, performance, good in windy conditions, a little bit aero, light and sexy you really only have two options.

Reynolds Attack 32mm full carbon clinchers for R9500 OR Easton EA90SL 38mm Carbon Clinchers for around R13000

If you train with deep sections, and don't use a power meter, you could end up putting a bit less effort into each training ride, because of aerodynamic power saving.

That said, if you don't care about going faster & what your race times are etc, and just want to get a nice set of wheels to enjoy on all rides, get clinchers! We have a lot of glass and other debris on our roads, using tubbies to train on on our roads are going to cause a lot of frustration at some point.

Some things to think about regarding full carbon clinchers as everyday wheels:

They don't brake as well as alu rims in the wet. If you don't ride in wet conditions - not a problem. I think a full carbon clincher rim will damage more easily than a tubbie rim when taking a big hit from a pot-hole. Deep sections with alu rims would be a better option, unless you have good insurance.

Some good clincher options:

Cosmic carbones (good deal on CRC)

SRAM S60 (about R9300 on CRC) on the heavy side for the price, though

Edited by Christie

let's say around 15k

I hear sweet things about those Cosmic Carbones SL or something laaik that.

That budget will go quite far.

Don't go deeper than 38mm ish - the wind in CT just too often.

Interesting review on cyclingnews.com:

Zipp 101 - consider this, prisma...

Underwhelms on paper but performs well and looks good on the road

Going solely by the numbers, Zipp's 101s doesn't seem all that impressive. The 30mm, fully toroidal, 6000 series alloy rims make for a somewhat heavy overall package at 1,592g (with rim strips; skewers add another 76g).

In fact, the 101s are heavier than both Mavic's Ksyrium Elites, which cost roughly half as much, and Shimano's carbon Dura-Aces, which are a favourite of ours for their tubeless compatibility and traditional loose ball hubs. The fact that much of the Zipp wheels' weight is in the rim gives them a slightly sluggish acceleration that's noticeable on the bike.

What the 101s lack in lightness, however, they make up for in ride quality. The rims are wide and reasonably tall when compared to other alloy models. Both features lend a surefooted feel that will be appreciated by most every rider. The wide profile also allows for a reasonable amount of give, when compared to deep carbon rims.

808's are too deep for everyday use in CT because of the wind - try to use them in a strong cross wind and you will end up walking. I have a set of Mavic Cosmic Carbones and really rate them - they are fast and sound great and because of the aluminium braking surface they are easy to live with too. If I could only choose one set of wheels I would definitely choose these.

808's are too deep for everyday use in CT because of the wind - try to use them in a strong cross wind and you will end up walking. I have a set of Mavic Cosmic Carbones and really rate them - they are fast and sound great and because of the aluminium braking surface they are easy to live with too. If I could only choose one set of wheels I would definitely choose these.

:thumbup: :thumbup:

Also very good-looking...

I am a self confessed wheel junkie. Together with the training buddies I think we have ridden 10 different wheel sets the past year!! :blush: :lol:

Fist question answered: Between the two, I'd go for the Zipps. Very nice wheels....I own a set of 404's! :thumbup:

As for Christie's comments about breaking in the wet, I have NO issues with my carbon wheels using Swisstop break pads. I don't even notice the difference between Alu and Carbon.

As for racing and training on a set of deep sections........mmmmm.

Things to consider:

• Racing = you want light and fast = tubbies
  • Tubbies = not suited for everyday use in SA.....one puncture and R900 GONE
  • Phoning mommy to come pick you up might not be the best option always! ;)

So you decide Clinchers:

• Full carbon or carbon/alu
  • 80, 50, 30 mm deep sections

Riding in the Cape.....on 80mm....NAH. :blink: :D

That leaves you with 50mm and 30mm........

For the 50mm my list will look like this:

• Zipp 404 FULL carbon Clinchers. Nice wheels!! I have a set and will never go back!!!
  • Hed Stingers 60mm FULL carbon clinchers....nice wheels. I have a friend riding on them and they have no issues
  • Enve (The old "Edge"). This seems to be "The Sh#$ that will kill us" wheelset at the moment. Loads of good reviews but not popular in SA yet
  • Mavic Cosmic Carbon - Also a personal favourite of mine. Nice wheels for a good price and backup in SA. Alu brake surface though

Also look at the 30mm range as these seem to be a very nice training/racing option

• Easton. Nice full carbon clinchers! Love the look and they perform well. Light
  • Again....have a look at Enve. The beesknees at the moment int.
  • Shamals. Very nice wheels. light 1.5kg) Solid wheel good enough for racing and training.....I know...I raced and trained a year on them!
  • Americal Classic although I don't hear great things about their hubs.

Should you consider Tubbies.....

• Zipp 404
  • Campagnolo Bora
  • Mavic Cosmic (30-40mm)
  • Zipp 303

Just a few options.

You need to decide......Tubbie or Clincher.

30 or 50

From there make a choice based on looks as they all ride basically the same! ;) :lol:

Some experience-based comment from my side...

I have owned a set of 404 clinchers for the last two years and they are as true as the day I bought them. I even rode the them over the cobbles of the Ronde van Vlaanderen (didn't know cobbles were THAT bad until I got to them!) and I was a winter-heavy 90kg's at the time. No problem.

What I did find a bit wanting on the durability side was the free wheel hub. It is aluminium, which menas it doesn't handle big powerful stomps from big boys like us ;-) without damaga. Loads of little burrs on the freewheel hub and I had to replace it. See this thread:

https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/74704-zipp-freehub-damage-is-this-normal

I now ride with a special cassette that spreads the load to minimise the damage.

Yet, I would NEVER consider getting rid of the Zipps. They are just so super sexy. I can stare at them for ages. Makes any bike look 10 times better (plus they ride like a dream!)

BTW, the hub problem is not Zipp only. I murder Powertap hubs in my free time too...

Edited by Willehond