Chain Reaction Rave

DJR

Weird thing is i have ordered from CRC about 3 or 4 times. Only once when i went to collect at the local post office i was charged anything

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It happens , I ordered 2 posters from the US, came same day picked up same time 1 was charged other not. Sometimes you lucky :)

I ordered a garmin edge 800 from CRC the thursday at about 11:30pm. Paid extra for the DHL service and picked it up at 8:00am Monday at DHL Rustenburg. Excellent :clap: :clap: :clap:

Got a CRC order this week. I had a set of knee guards and shoes in the package (they were the 1st two items on the invoice). The package arrived and I told the delivery guy that I thought the import duties & tax were too high. He gave me my package and a number to call to sort out the duties/tax issue. So I did the numbers and it turns out customs just added a flat 40% duties to my entire order :cursing: so, my VAT was over charged too. I called the number and the lady asks if the delivery guy is still there (he's not) and if I have already opened the parcel (of coarse I had). Anyways to cut a long story short the Customs buggers overcharged me on duties & VAT to a total of about R700 :thumbdown:

The lady on the phone said I need to fill out a form (Application for Refund of Import Duties) and if the claim is accepted I can look forward to seeing my refund in over a year!!!!!

Moral of the story: if you think the duties/VAT applied to your parcel are wrong, hold onto your cash, keep the delivery guy with you, call the number (011)961-6038 and organise for a reassessment. The delivery guy will take your parcel away and 'should' return in a couple days with an amended manifest and your parcel.

Rather sit a couple days without your new kit than have to deal with an admin nightmare, only to see you cash in over a year.

Exactly the same happened to a buddy of mine last week but he just paid the 40% for everything!

My wish is for just 1 LBS to be as cheap and efficient as CRC! I bought my dad FD, RD, chain, cassette and disc brakes and I paid R3100 including taxes, for the same stuff here the cheapest quote we got was R8000! I would luv to support the local guys but at that kind of price difference it would be insane!

Dont underestimate the local guys like Chris (CWC) and Peter (ICycling) - these guys are also great with their prices. Last year I notices that of the dozen items on my wish list (just window shopping), Chris & Peter beat nearly every price.

Also I bought some XT brakes off Peter (ICycling) for 30% less than CRC, and the service was just as excellent.

Then again my new pannier is from CRC as I cannot source it locally, never mind the price.

If I had to purchase bulk consumable stock from CRC, would any body buy from me for a 10% handling fee?

Cassets, chains, tyres and so on, you get the idea.

Absolutely

Ordered previously, and tracked it online, delivered without issues - I ordered rotors last week - but CRC says it cant be tracked. So now I need to phone the local post office daily to find out if there's anything there....

WT?????????? :( :( :(

Ordered previously, and tracked it online, delivered without issues - I ordered rotors last week - but CRC says it cant be tracked. So now I need to phone the local post office daily to find out if there's anything there....

WT?????????? :( :( :(

I was able to track online with Parcelforce till Cape Town EMS. Some cryptic status gave me the clue it was been dispatched to my Post Office, that was last week the 19th. Got my notification in the mail to say come collect and bring money.

Not bad considering that I ordered less than two weeks ago, plus its a bag that screams for Tax revenue from SARS.

So nice to pick up my first CRC order from the PO. No hassels at all :) I see my pannier bag arrived on the 19th at my local Post Office, so not bad as it puts the order delivery time from CRC to my PO to about 8 days.

Last week we did not get our mail as per usual on Friday (we get it three times a week) else I would have had my order by the weekend. Actually my local PO guys are really great and I could just have asked them last week if I was really an eager beaver.

Whata amazes me is how my parcel only cost me R55 to send? Its the same as larger SA online stores that only charge R30 for a courier. This is still the week point with Chris and Bicycle, it added delivery charges can make certain items not worth it as I like to order on demand.

CRC rocks! I just past the R30K mark with my last order on Sunday. Everything I bought was significantly cheaper than SA (CWC, Buycycle, etc.).

I only buy parts though - gloves, helmets and clothing in general attract a 40% import duty which kills the value.

I have bought a bicycle (25% import duty) which was still well cheaper than local (it was a final clearance special though).

Viva online bike shops viva!

@Eldron That is why I decided to order my pannier as a seperate item as I wanted to test the waters with SARS and the value of the import. My pannier came in at R350 with duties. Not bad considering a similar sized rugsack at Cape Union is also R350 and I would still have to pimp it up with pannier hooks.

My latest online buys is not from CRC but Amazon via Take 2. Okay it does take 4 weeks to get to me but it is worth it. So far I got a IR trigger release for my camera for R112. Despicable Me Blu-ray/DVD/Digital copy for R255 (only being released here next month). Embroided neoprene camera straps for R255 each (not available in SA), 2x double pack Guitar Hero straps for R70 a pack. All with free shipping as the orders were more the R350.

Any ideas on this, French postal sysytem says they have put it on a plane to South Africa, South African customs say its still in France. How did it go missing while in transit?

For those that have relied on the Royal Mail and our dear South African Post Office - how long does your stuff take to get here from Chain Reaction. I wanted to try out this whole CRC thing for myself so ordered a wireless Cateye computer and asked for delivery via the normal post office. My order was dispatched 12 Jan and I have heard nothing from the post office. I called them today and they said I should wait until at least next week. Just seems pretty long IMO or am I being a little too eager and over anxious?

For those that have relied on the Royal Mail and our dear South African Post Office - how long does your stuff take to get here from Chain Reaction. I wanted to try out this whole CRC thing for myself so ordered a wireless Cateye computer and asked for delivery via the normal post office. My order was dispatched 12 Jan and I have heard nothing from the post office. I called them today and they said I should wait until at least next week. Just seems pretty long IMO or am I being a little too eager and over anxious?

Ordered a watch from Uk recently - took more than a month to get to my post office!!