Chain Reaction Rave

DJR

Just had a nice word with the woman at customs in Joburg, according to her parcels can sit in a postage bag for 10-14 working days before even getting opened for processing. So they do not scan it necessarily the day it arrives in the country , hence why no updates are given.

So it becomes a waiting game :(

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For those that have relied on the Royal Mail and our dear South African Post Office - how long does your stuff take to get here from Chain Reaction. I wanted to try out this whole CRC thing for myself so ordered a wireless Cateye computer and asked for delivery via the normal post office. My order was dispatched 12 Jan and I have heard nothing from the post office. I called them today and they said I should wait until at least next week. Just seems pretty long IMO or am I being a little too eager and over anxious?

My recommendation is to get a few buddies together and use the >R3,000 free shipping via Parcel Force. I've used it several times - they deliver straight to your door in ~5 days and you can pay the delivery guy the VAT and clearing fees.

Quick, simple and easy (if of course you buy more than R3,000 worth of stuff).

I guess I am stuck counting wheel rotations to figure out how far I have ridden for another week while I wait :D

My recommendation is to get a few buddies together and use the >R3,000 free shipping via Parcel Force. I've used it several times - they deliver straight to your door in ~5 days and you can pay the delivery guy the VAT and clearing fees.

Quick, simple and easy (if of course you buy more than R3,000 worth of stuff).

Unfortunatly for me, I had no choice. But with CRC its the only way to go. Otherwise youre going to be waiting for ages. The crazy thing for me, is that Ive been calling customs(Durban & Joburg offices) for 4 days asking them whats going on, only today do they tell me it can be sitting for the 10-14 working days before even getting processed. Every other time they say the parcel is definatly not here, when I spoke to them in France yesterday they say its got shipped days ago.

Ive got a number for a guy if you need to call him, he might possibly be able to tell you something.

Before placing your orders with CRC do a price check with CWC online store. You may just be surprised :)

Most of the time CWC Online is not far off - problem is that they don't carry 10% of the stock that CRC carries.

I am blinging my new bike and was looking for anodized blue stuff - CRC has bucket loads - CWC not so much.

My XTR brakes were R3,840.58 delivered to my door from CRC. R4,079.00 from CWC. Only a 6% difference).

Problem is that CWC only sell them with 160mm rotors - I didn't want to rotors. CRC wins again (albeit it not by much).

CWC didn't have Stans Rims tape - CRC did.

CWC didn't have a Lezune multitool - CRC did.

CWC didn't have a Shimano Deore Disc Hub Front M525 - CRC did.

CWC didn't have a seat post clamp in blue that I wanted - CRC did.

For one stop low prices with the biggest range of stuff I've ever seen CRC wins hands down...

Unfortunatly for me, I had no choice. But with CRC its the only way to go. Otherwise youre going to be waiting for ages. The crazy thing for me, is that Ive been calling customs(Durban & Joburg offices) for 4 days asking them whats going on, only today do they tell me it can be sitting for the 10-14 working days before even getting processed. Every other time they say the parcel is definatly not here, when I spoke to them in France yesterday they say its got shipped days ago.

Ive got a number for a guy if you need to call him, he might possibly be able to tell you something.

I feel your pain - I once sent a Rolf Vigor wheel to the US for a new warranty rim and spent at least 2 hours on the phone trying to find out where the hell it was when Rolf sent the wheel back to me.

Local customs/post offices are nasty! All I can advise is perseverance...

Best of luck with the package!

Fortunately I've only ever gone the free shipping route with CRC and never had a problem - my packages have always arrived before my expectation.

bike bag ordered last thursday (8pm). post office just called to ask if i wanted it send to my po box or would i prefer it being sent direct to the local po. customs duty is a leopard..

not bad at all, considering 3 local shops are yet to get back to me with pricing :)

I buy quite a lot of stuff from overseas and the duty seems to be random. Sometimes nothing, sometimes more than one would choose to pay...

For those that have relied on the Royal Mail and our dear South African Post Office - how long does your stuff take to get here from Chain Reaction. I wanted to try out this whole CRC thing for myself so ordered a wireless Cateye computer and asked for delivery via the normal post office. My order was dispatched 12 Jan and I have heard nothing from the post office. I called them today and they said I should wait until at least next week. Just seems pretty long IMO or am I being a little too eager and over anxious?

Nothing wrong with SAPO, any delay should be customs. Then again my order was done on the 11th (2011-01-11) and it was already at my post office in Somerset West by the 19th. I just took the Royal Mail option and tracked it to Cape Town EMS until the 19th when a cryptic status hinted that it was dispatched to my post office.

Got a CRC order this week. I had a set of knee guards and shoes in the package (they were the 1st two items on the invoice). The package arrived and I told the delivery guy that I thought the import duties & tax were too high. He gave me my package and a number to call to sort out the duties/tax issue. So I did the numbers and it turns out customs just added a flat 40% duties to my entire order :cursing: so, my VAT was over charged too. I called the number and the lady asks if the delivery guy is still there (he's not) and if I have already opened the parcel (of coarse I had). Anyways to cut a long story short the Customs buggers overcharged me on duties & VAT to a total of about R700 :thumbdown:

The lady on the phone said I need to fill out a form (Application for Refund of Import Duties) and if the claim is accepted I can look forward to seeing my refund in over a year!!!!!

Moral of the story: if you think the duties/VAT applied to your parcel are wrong, hold onto your cash, keep the delivery guy with you, call the number (011)961-6038 and organise for a reassessment. The delivery guy will take your parcel away and 'should' return in a couple days with an amended manifest and your parcel.

Rather sit a couple days without your new kit than have to deal with an admin nightmare, only to see you cash in over a year.

I am planning on buying a tri bar from CRC for R550. To that I ad R230 postage. How much must I ad for duties?

I am planning on buying a tri bar from CRC for R550. To that I ad R230 postage. How much must I ad for duties?

No duties, just Vat.

Just a heads up when using Airmail with the Post Office. A couple things I recently found out:

1. Parcels can sit in Joburg for 10 - 14 working days without even being processed, so NO updates for the tracking. So just be patient

2. The tracking system is not working properly within the Post Office, it hasnt for a while and doesnt look close to being sorted out either.

3. They will lie through there teeth as to the wereabout of your parcel. Funny how yesterday, no one knew where my parcel was. Suddenly its in Durban on its way to me. Thats after 40 emails, phone calls everyday to both Joburg & Durban International mail sites

Its definately a waiting game, that the Post Office will always win.

UPS just works so much better!! :thumbup:

For sure. - The Post Office works, dont get me wrong, just snail mail really. You will just have to endure the wait and fed bollocks as too whats going on.

I must say the weight has been worth it, my new saddle looks the biz. Even better when I put it onto the bike tonight. :) :clap: :D

Edited by Caerus

Got a CRC order this week. I had a set of knee guards and shoes in the package (they were the 1st two items on the invoice). The package arrived and I told the delivery guy that I thought the import duties & tax were too high. He gave me my package and a number to call to sort out the duties/tax issue. So I did the numbers and it turns out customs just added a flat 40% duties to my entire order :cursing: so, my VAT was over charged too. I called the number and the lady asks if the delivery guy is still there (he's not) and if I have already opened the parcel (of coarse I had). Anyways to cut a long story short the Customs buggers overcharged me on duties & VAT to a total of about R700 :thumbdown:

The lady on the phone said I need to fill out a form (Application for Refund of Import Duties) and if the claim is accepted I can look forward to seeing my refund in over a year!!!!!

Moral of the story: if you think the duties/VAT applied to your parcel are wrong, hold onto your cash, keep the delivery guy with you, call the number (011)961-6038 and organise for a reassessment. The delivery guy will take your parcel away and 'should' return in a couple days with an amended manifest and your parcel.

Rather sit a couple days without your new kit than have to deal with an admin nightmare, only to see you cash in over a year.

So glad this post stuck in my mind

Went to collect my CRC order now from post office the bike stand was in one box and my other stuff in a seperate box first time my order has come as 2 seperate parcels but I suppose due to size and weight of stand it was practical.

Problem came when they asked me to pay vat 1100 rand the total order was about 3300 rand I said no ways cant be right

they charged me vat on 3300 rand for each parcel so it was doubled.

I was tempted to just pay as I hate waiting and now to have the stuff and have to give it back is even worse.

But PO guy said he would send it back for reassesment which will take about 5 days so now I wait :angry: this is not rocket science if the guy looking at manifest had half a brain he should of seen it was 1 order split into 2 boxes :(

Also both boxes were re sealed with sars tape thats 5 orders in a row of mine that have been opened hope they didn't steal anything like last time :angry:

Edited by crasher

CRC rocks! I just past the R30K mark with my last order on Sunday. Everything I bought was significantly cheaper than SA (CWC, Buycycle, etc.).

I only buy parts though - gloves, helmets and clothing in general attract a 40% import duty which kills the value.

I have bought a bicycle (25% import duty) which was still well cheaper than local (it was a final clearance special though).

Viva online bike shops viva!

The only problem with online bike shops is that the websites are so friggin addictive! Screw facebook, CRC, Wiggle, Evans Cycles etc that is my weakness!