Whose your granny?

Just Keep Pedaling

Is the granny gear cog really neccessary for mountain biking?

I have been purposely riding without it on the last few rides - in my opinion it is not needed.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Depends on the terrain you're riding, as well as your level of fitness. At times - YES it is needed. Especially when you are really near the end of your tether, and need that easy-spinning gear to get you up the next hill.

Also depends whether you're referring to the granny at the front or the rear. Front, I find particularly useful on tight, technical singletrack ascents, but then I'm in approx 4th or 5th at the back.

Granny at the back - as I said. Sometimes situations do dictate the use of that gear. BUT yo can always get a different cassette so that the granny isn't so frail...

I love my granny :clap: Sometimes you need it, sometimes you dont. When youve bonked after a long ride, it does come in handy :thumbup:

Try going up to "die saal" in Jonkershoek or the antenna on mountain behind Caledon without your granny - if you want the view, you need the granny.

OBVIOUSLY you are from Gauteng...where everyhting is nice and flat!!

Come to the Cape to experience some real granny terrain.... :D

OBVIOUSLY you are from Gauteng...where everyhting is nice and flat!!

Come to the Cape to experience some real granny terrain.... :D

I would love you to come and ride here in the Magalies mountains.

Is the granny gear cog really neccessary for mountain biking?

I have been purposely riding without it on the last few rides - in my opinion it is not needed.

You obviously never done a Megalies Monster, Spioen Kop, Mankele 3Towers etc, etc.... ;)

I would have stopped cycling after my first outing to Tokai if it were not for my granny.

Edited by YUMEYA

Almost all the hills heading out of Jaybay are 11% plus...for me to drag my lard-arse up there is granny country

Guest eyecandy

I would have stopped cycling after my first outing to Tokai if it were not for my granny.

Ya, esp going to the mast :blink:

Almost all the hills heading out of Jaybay are 11% plus...for me to drag my lard-arse up there is granny country

How steep is that little jaunt out of Vic Bay?