Hardtail vs Dual suspension

Vetseun

reviving an old thread ... cant seem to find a newer one on this topic ....

Take it a there have been some technological advances since the previous post.  And even surer many have switched a few times since then .....

So what is the current status on HT vs DS ?

Thoughts on a HT with larger tires ?  That massive tire must take some energy to spin up ... 

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Take it a there have been some technological advances since the previous post.  And even surer many have switched a few times since then .....

Thoughts on a HT with larger tires ?  That massive tire must take some energy to spin up ... 

It does nut its fun trust me.

Plus bikes are way better than the fat cousin.

not for racing but it will do just about anything else.

many 120mm plus bikes shredding the enduro scene

Guess it depends on your riding?

If you want to race XC or stage races then a + wheels size might not be what you want.For some fun on the trails they are great :thumbup:

interesting thread. I'm now over 40 and love my HT. but then again i have never owned a dual sus. have been slowly upgrading the HT to be more trail capable with plusher fork and dropper etc. the bike now is fun and i love riding it. Still climbs well. i like the challenge of a HT and picking your lines correctly on black routes and tech sections. However.. i like being different and am that way in most things in life.. i would suspect that 99 out of 100 people would choose the dual sus over the HT if offered both for free. a bonus is the lower running costs of maintaining the HT.

Guess it depends on your riding?

If you want to race XC or stage races then a + wheels size might not be what you want.For some fun on the trails they are great :thumbup:

Yes Gummibear ....

Been doing a LOT of reading .. and realised MY concept of "trail riding" certainly dont fit the modern definition !

I ride the "trails" at places like Meerendal .... but not into the high speed down hill racing ... so sounds like I am then rather a "cross country" rider .... ??????????????

Yes Gummibear ....

Been doing a LOT of reading .. and realised MY concept of "trail riding" certainly dont fit the modern definition !

I ride the "trails" at places like Meerendal .... but not into the high speed down hill racing ... so sounds like I am then rather a "cross country" rider .... ??????????????

No. You're just a rider that prefers flow rather than tech.

No. You're just a rider that prefers flow rather than tech.

Thanks.  Getting closer to pegging my type of riding into the modern jargon ....  :whistling:

So what do you recommend for this type of "non-technical-trail-riding" ? 

XC bike ?

Trail bike ?  maybe an overkill for me ?

Something else ?

if meerendal is the type of riding you do, then i'd say go for the hardtail.  if longer rides and comfort are your thing, then go for a dual sus.

my calves tended to cramp up after doing a few rocky/bumpy descents as your legs are the shock absorbers for the rear on a HT.

Myles I watched a nice video on trail vs XC bikes (comparing the Anthem and Trance).  Presenter talked about :

. Handlebar width - my XT Edition is wider than the Big 9 40

. Stem length - XT Edition has a longer stem ...

This may go some way towards explaining the difference in handling between the two - the XT Edition is MUCH more sensitive to steering input

Longer stem slows steering but places your weight further forward so it feels more skittish.

Wider bar gives you more leverage and again slows steering a tad as your hands have to move more distance to get the same angle of steering input when compared to a narrow bar.

Narrow bar = quick steering. Short stem = quick but direct steering. Short stem & narrow bar = very quick steering / more skittish. It's why road bikes have long stems cos they have such narrow bars. Try sticking a 35mm stem on a roadie and see how sharp the steering goes.

Also factors would be head angle, bike size, tyres, wheel stiffness etc.

Edited by Myles Mayhew

Thanks.  Getting closer to pegging my type of riding into the modern jargon ....  :whistling:

So what do you recommend for this type of "non-technical-trail-riding" ? 

XC bike ?

Trail bike ?  maybe an overkill for me ?

Something else ?

long travel 29er

geometry is now at a place where A 120mm 29er is still fast but has A fun factor.

Since it sounds like you won't be taking on very hectic stuff this type of bike will allow you train race and do everything in line with an xc bike but still have A bike that can hold its own on the average trail section or enduro race

I've got both, a hard tail + and a dual.

I always tend to grab the dual as its way more fun.

Most people will do the same ^^^

There is a very small pool of people who like hardtails better , I'm one of them.

I'll also have A dual trail enduro machine in the near future but my hardtail will get ridden just as much if not more , its just something.   Some say the feedback you get from the trail others the playfulness.

Different strokes for different okes.

Just ride your damn bike  :P