Hardtail vs Dual suspension

Vetseun

Went from a 110 to a 70 on my road bike and it's a blast on the twisties now.

Sounds like your frame is too big for you?

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

had a slight incident with a tree on Thursday, so had to use my Hardtail for the Easter weekend.  I've really not missed all that kidney shaking on rocky descents.  The traction is definitely less as the backwheel bounces over rocks and stuff.  This does teach you to pick the smoothest lines out on the trails and to time your braking better.

Sounds like your frame is too big for you?

no... compromised hip flexibility and prolapsed cervical disc... more upright now and much better.

"The Mineshaft" -

post-110956-0-83220700-1492438500_thumb.jpg

Wrong tool for the job -

post-110956-0-49987600-1492438489_thumb.jpg

MENS, my gat juik nou for a dual suspension ..... 25 to 30k price bracket ..... what would you buy for that price ?

Friends help this agent out please. I ride a Scott hardtail, love the bike, its light and fast, but time is catching up with the agent, Im 41 now.The body is starting to take a few shots on the rides with the hard tail Ive now had an offer, straight swop, my Scott Scale RC hardtail for a Scott Spark RC dual. Same year model (2010) same size. Should I make the the transition? What would you my Hubber friends?

At aged 45 did the exact swop you talking about. I can't believe I waited so long. 

Over 40 you allowed dual sus.

My brother at 43 has now done it too and agrees we waited to long....

You will be comfortable and so much faster downhill.

Hard tails are for the Spur School league and proper racing snakes.

Just do it!

At aged 45 did the exact swop you talking about. I can't believe I waited so long. 

Over 40 you allowed dual sus.

My brother at 43 has now done it too and agrees we waited to long....

You will be comfortable and so much faster downhill.

Hard tails are for the Spur School league and proper racing snakes.

Just do it!

No helping ....  :devil:

SO itching .....

"The Mineshaft" -

attachicon.gifMeerendal-62 (Large).jpg

Wrong tool for the job -

attachicon.gifMeerendal-60 (Large).jpg

MENS, my gat juik nou for a dual suspension ..... 25 to 30k price bracket ..... what would you buy for that price ?

Ek jeuk ook al lank vir 'n upgrade....

Kyk na die Silverback Sido.

I am on an old SBK dual sus. I NEED something better!

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Ek jeuk ook al lank vir 'n upgrade....

Kyk na die Silverback Sido.

I am on an old SBK dual sus. I NEED something better!

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Die Silverback Sido 1, en die 1e, lyk baie goed op papier.

sal beslis gaan kyk na dit.  Waar is die beste handelaar vir die Silwerback fietse ?  Ek weet Cyclo sport versprei dit, maar laas min in voorraad gehad om na te kyk ....

"The Mineshaft" -

Wrong tool for the job -

Really depends on what type of riding you prefer...XC, trail, enduro?

Also, my best bit of advice...buy 2nd hand. You get waaaaay more bang for your buck...way more!

Really depends on what type of riding you prefer...XC, trail, enduro?

Also, my best bit of advice...buy 2nd hand. You get waaaaay more bang for your buck...way more!

Type of riding - Meerendal type trails.  Bust knees means I wont be doing lap records ....  Definately no competition ambitions.  Purely want to make the rides as enjoyable as possible.  Less "bumps" means less impact on the joints, and thus less recovery time ....

With second hand comes the question of previous maintenance .... and impending costs ..... some bad experiences in this regard ....

On paper the Titan Sonic Pro really seams to offer value for money ... almost too good to be true .... most other brands are a good few rands more expensive for the same set of components.  Any feedback/experience with the Titan brand ???

Type of riding - Meerendal type trails. Bust knees means I wont be doing lap records .... Definately no competition ambitions. Purely want to make the rides as enjoyable as possible. Less "bumps" means less impact on the joints, and thus less recovery time ....

With second hand comes the question of previous maintenance .... and impending costs ..... some bad experiences in this regard ....

On paper the Titan Sonic Pro really seams to offer value for money ... almost too good to be true .... most other brands are a good few rands more expensive for the same set of components. Any feedback/experience with the Titan brand ???

I would be careful buying the titan as my first dually. You said comfort... The short travel would certainly be better but nowhere near the real plushness you would be expecting. Of you are going to buy something worth all the extra maintenance and money up front, buy proper stuff with proven reputation. Camber is a safe bet. 29er for me always. 130mm rear travel minimum and anything up from a revelation up front. Buying cheap is buying twice.

Giant trance. Silverback slade or sido. Rocky mountain element/altitude

Dankie.  Rocky mountain seems interesting.  Will pop into a store tomorrow and have a closer look ....

Silverback :

- Slade is a hardtail

- "Sido 1e" fits my spec-list perfectly !  But I can only find the Sido 1 and Sido 2 on the shop-pages ..

Giant Trance :

- seems to be an 11x1 setup .... NOT sure I am ready for this ..... too many posts on the hub where people recommend to stay with the 11x2 .... also the granny gear in the 11x1 is not low enough for my bust knees.

The Giant Anthem may be better for me .... but also lacking a true granny gear .... this is where the 11/2 of the Sido 1e makes for a better gearing setup ...

interesting, and understandable, that most of the bikes in this range dont have decent granny gears .... bit of a bummer when one is looking for a reasonable spec bike to rehabilitate bust knees ....

but hey, with each check and cross-check I am getting closer to finding the best bike for my needs.  :)  Thanks for all the input and help !!