Tubeless tyres

T-girl

Griffith, is that you?!

Haven't had a dive since 31st Dec. The ocean won't let me in - too many overflowing rivers sending their brown muck into the sea.

Mtb is my other passion :drool:

ya its me. we're proper forum sluts arent we?

i did a dive in a hole up here. got to play with some bass, not quite the same as the tigersharks at aliwal.

good to hear you also ride - its what keeps me sane up here

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Busy looking on Chain Reaction.

What about Continental Rubber Queen UST?

Or Maxis Monorail and Crossmark combo?

Also have Panaracer Fire or Rampage!

too many choices! :huh:

I haven't seen them come up yet but Specialized Controls are super great. Haven't really ridden them hard in mud but all other surfaces are no issue for them. their life is maybe not as good as some but they are a quality tyre. The 2bliss is the way to go. I weigh 8o kgs and to date no issue with a single one I have ever used. Good luck with your choice and fitment.

I go for tried and tested combo's Ive tried the maxxis combo, currently ride Raceking at the back and Monorail in front. I would be riding a Shauserwind (spez) or a advantage or another race king in front had I not lived in the cape where grip is aplenty.

Rubber queen, its a freeride tire, big thing, not for you unless youre into gravety.

there are lots of choices, but dont go to far from what the guys are recomending, like the panaracer rampage, google" Redbull rampage" then you see what that tire is made for.

So take the advice..

Crown cycles as well as Chris Willemse have good deals on Maxxis tires. No extra VAT, no hidden costs, no delays at customs.

GEAX Saguaro are the best tyres I have ridden.... Not cheap but oh so worth it... :thumbup:

These are the business having tried most of the brands mentioned

Mountain Kings would be at the bottom of my list

I have a set of Mavic 317 with DT swiss hubs weigh 1900grams with the rims strips looking for 1300 bucks in They came off my anthem 1

your best money spent on upgrading your bike is wheels and get ust rims XT 1700 grams 3 grand or American Classics 1480 grams 4 grand

Xt\s are stonger but AMC lighter better for racing

• 2 months later...

Flip, you need a degree in Tubeless to understand this thread!

Good reading though...

I am running tyre liners and slimed tubes, with crossmark tyres.

Considering the tubeless option, are the tubless crossmarks any better than the normal ones?? As they sucked in the mud this weekend!

"Considering the tubeless option"

Careful Gilroy. Not all things are compatable. You could buy the tyres and find that your rims don't accept them i.e. too tight or even too loose - true tubeless (or UST ) tyres are way tighter than normal tyres. True tubeless needs UST tyres, UST rims, internal liners (rim strips and tape), special valves, a type of slime (liquid latex or similar) and a compressor. Tubeless tyres often have thicker sidewalls to prevent sidewall gashes (often unfixable on the trail or race).

Edited by Just Keep Pedaling

Good reading though...

Considering the tubeless option, are the tubless crossmarks any better than the normal ones?? As they sucked in the mud this weekend!

Nope mate thats the tread pattern and its the same on the wirebead and tubless versions. And crossmarks, like smallblock eights, AKA, race kings etc all suck in the mud. For mud you need a widely spaced tread pattern that will shed.

Good reading though...

The only reason why they would give you more grip in the mud is because you are running a lower pressure with tubeless. The crossmark tread pattern is it's pattern...finish and klaar.

"Considering the tubeless option"

Careful Gilroy. Not all things are compatable. You could buy the tyres and find that your rims don't accept them i.e. too tight or even too loose - true tubeless (or UST ) tyres are way tighter than normal tyres. These need UST tyres, UST rims, internal liners (rim strips and tape), special valves, a type of slime (liquid latex or similar) and a compressor. Tubeless tyres often have thicker sidewalls to prevent sidewall gashes (often unfixable on the trail or race).

Buddy they are all still 26" or 29" yes they have a tighter bead that makes them harder to fit, but never had one that wont fit, And thats for my converted rims and my UST rims. essentially the rims are basically the same obviously the difference in the UST rims are that there are no holes where the spokes enter the rims. And as far as fixing a massive tear in a UST sidewall to get home,, well just carry a tube in youre saddlebag, and fit a tube if you can't fix a tear.

Going 8 months on my tubless now not a single puncture or tear.

"but never had one that wont fit, And thats for my converted rims and my UST rims. essentially the rims are basically the same obviously the difference in the UST rims are that there are no holes where the spokes enter the rims"

I have two seperate tubless tyres not fit. Both Scwalbe's on Alex Rims and DT Swiss Rims. The bike shop gave up too.

Tubeless rims are not the same. They use pressure to seat the tyre. so it won't come off. It can happen with non-tubless (UST) rims that the tyre comes off on a corner - especially if you are heavy or ride hard or underinflate. It has not happened to me but it happened to some others in the forum here.

Covie is right that tubeless is awesome - best upgrade you can make to a bike.

Edit: Spelling.

Edited by Just Keep Pedaling

"but never had one that wont fit, And thats for my converted rims and my UST rims. essentially the rims are basically the same obviously the difference in the UST rims are that there are no holes where the spokes enter the rims"

I have two seperate tubless tyres not fit. Both Scwalbe's on Alex Rims and DT Swiss Rims. The bike shop gave up too.

Tubeless rims are not the same. They use pressure to seat the tyre. so it won't come off. It can happen with non-tubless (UST) rims that the tyre comes off on a corner - especially if you are heavy or ride hard or underinflate. It has not happened to me but it happened to some others in the forum here.

Covie is right that tubeless is awesome - best upgrade you can make to a bike.

Edit: Spelling.

Not going to get into a technical debate, here but yes there are a minor differences on UST vs standard rims on the angle that makes sure the tyre is seated. That however will not prevent a tyre from going on and staying on, And there are a million people that have converted their standard rims to tubless with a magnitude of tyre brands. There have been a couple of posts on the hub historically where people struggle to get the tyres on, but thats due to the specific tyre and not the rim. There have been ample posts especially concerning schalwbe tyres not going on. In most cases they posters either just went to get a different set of schwalbe's and it worked perfectly, or they simply changed to a different tyre.

In short there should be no rim that is not UST convertable on the market today. I have felt no difference on getting any of my UST tyres on and off the various rimms i have been riding with.

So, to summarise... :)

These are the good tried and tested combos?

Choosing rubber is a very personal decision.

some of the most popular combo's

Conti Race king Rear / Mountain king Front Grippy and tough as nails high rolling resistance due to soft rubber compount.

Geax Mezcal / Sugaro Loved by racing snakes Medium grip medium resistance

Schwalbe Racing Ralph / rocket Ron Grippy high rolling resistance

Maxxis Crossmark / monorail low rolling resistance with little grip.

And, to save additional weight I can go UST at the back and a regular tyre converted to tubeless (ghetto style) at the front...? :thumbup: