hot foot

Dsan

Hoping to hear how others have gotten round the joyous feeling of hot foot.

Up to about 80 km's and they are ok (shimano r132's) but once I get past that distance, all hell is opened up. Now I realise KZN isn't exactly the best climate to be riding in during the summer, feet get hot and swell and shoes aren't the most forgiving.

Thing is, it's now starting to restrict the distances I can do. Today was 36 in the shade, unless I take up night riding, this problem has to disappear.

How does everyone else deal with this? I've thought about going down the more expensive shoe route (sidi's/mavic's) but wanted to get advice on here first.

Thanks

Friend of mine also had huge problems with hot foot. He bought wider shoes and problem was solved. Guess in his case it was a problem with restricted bloodflow

I see the R132s have a carbon sole, so that rules out the one possibility.

So I'd agree with the wide feet theory. I use Specialized as they provide a fit for wider feet like mine. I don't get numb feet like I do with my Shimanos.

very valid point, guess I need to start looking at shoes offered slightly wider. Time to get hold of Mavic/Sidi and see what models they have..

Thanks

I would suggest SIDI as they offer half sizes for wider feet - also move your cleat so that it is directly below the ball of your foot.

Mavic and Sidi are narrow u need to look at Northwave. Also look at something that lifts the forefoot , think Spez makes some inserts. Also look at your cleat alignment.

I've had issues for ages - these are my solutions:

1. Looosen the straps somewhat - can make a dramatic difference

2. Ride with cleat postion behind ball of foot (I ddidn't like arch cleats - google it - but 1cm behind works great

3. Get specialized inner soles with a metatarsal button

4. Get custom inner soles with a metatarsal wedge

You could also try shift the cleat position, heard that helps as well.

I did that on my mtb shoes, drilled new holes and elongated the slots so that I could move the cleats another 1.2 cm further back compared to the standard rear most position.

It worked, used to get foot / toe pain at +/- 3hrs into a ride, post modification I've done 5 1/2 hrs and no foot or toe pain.

Hoping to hear how others have gotten round the joyous feeling of hot foot.

Up to about 80 km's and they are ok (shimano r132's) but once I get past that distance, all hell is opened up. Now I realise KZN isn't exactly the best climate to be riding in during the summer, feet get hot and swell and shoes aren't the most forgiving.

Thing is, it's now starting to restrict the distances I can do. Today was 36 in the shade, unless I take up night riding, this problem has to disappear.

How does everyone else deal with this? I've thought about going down the more expensive shoe route (sidi's/mavic's) but wanted to get advice on here first.

Thanks

Never experienced this with my Specialized Road and MTB shoes. Try them, they sell themselves...

I tried a couple of things, all of which helped incrementally. I found I was getting hot foot from pressure on the ball of my foot as well as a slightly too tight shoe.

1. Try re-positioning the cleat - my left cleat is almost a full cm further back than my right! This relieved some of the pressure on the ball of my foot.

2. Wear thinner socks - I used to ride with Falke Hidden Cool socks which are fairly thick. I switched to thinner ones which made the shoes less restrictive.

3. Try loosening the straps slightly.

Not too scientific, but worked for me :)

everything everyone else has written here has merit.........

PLUS

th epedal 'platform' can also play a role; the BIGGER the pedal surface, the better the load distribution, so you could TRY pedals with a larger platform, (borrow from a mate), as thi soften helps...

Good luck

Cheers

Friend of mine also had huge problems with hot foot. He bought wider shoes and problem was solved. Guess in his case it was a problem with restricted bloodflow

Was gonna say:

Either loosen the buckle or strap a lil bit.

Remember, the foot swells as you continue riding.

<_<