Training with a cold

L.T.G

I started with the sniffles last Thursday and by Friday afternoon I'd made a new "friend" in the form of a summer cold, a million times worse then a winter cold!

I've stayed off my bike and away from Spinning since, so that's 4 full days... I want to head back to Spinning tomorrow and ride on Saturday...from experience what'd you guys reckon?

I should still take it easy?

Train but take it easy?

Train as i usually do and just listen to my body?

I'm just so scared of losing form! Last year August i wasn't in the best shape and have worked really hard since then and I'm no race winner now, but I'm enjoying my riding so much more with how much fitter and stronger i am....

Rock and a hard place!:blink:

Edited by L.T.G

Some time off the bike will only do you good now.

I tried to go for a ride after 4 days of this summer cold and it set me back so much further that I ended up with Bronchitis and 2 weeks off the bike. Once your immune system is compromised it is just so easy to get re-infected.

The funny thing is that with an ordinary winter cold it actually helps to go for an easy ride, but it seems that the same is not true for a summer cold. Maybe some medical experts can help here?

Have also come down with a Summer cold, had a fever last night, but feeling better today. How long do you recon is sufficient recovery time?

Should you stop all exercise or can you do light workouts?

tough one. the old adage is that if it's above your throat (head cold) you're probably ok, but take it easy and monitor it. if below the throat (i.e. towards or in your chest) then straight off the bike until fully recovered.

i had a head cold last week (sore throat, bit of sneezing) so toned down on the training a bit (didn't stop, just more recovery/low-intensity rides) - lasted about a week and then went away (ok, thanks to a few advil cs tablets - man, those things work well!)

was feeling better by the saturday and managed the rollercoaster ok on sunday.

listen to your body. even if you think you've fully recovered, if you're training and feeling like crud, just go home, you're actually injuring yourself.

I went Spinning this morning , kept it light. tried not to push myself over 75-80% of my MHR.

Afterwards I felt better then i have for the last 5 days, I can breathe so much better...so i'll keep it to light Spinning for now.

I also came down with a cold on Monday. Will go spinning again tomorrow and a long ride or a race on Saturday, depending on how I feel in the spinning class tomorrow.

I've got a good base, so should be ok.

Have you tried arm and legs warmers? I find that on cold morning using a few extra layers can definitely help. Cape winter mornings can be especially cold, even requiring ear warmers and booties, and any way to keep warm helps. :)

PRESCRIPTION

Overdose on Vit C.

Sleep for more than 8 hrs.

Relax between your ears. There is enough time to regain any lost form. The Argus is some time away.

Do not approach your fiets within a radius of 2.25 metres for 72 hrs.

All the best, man.

Edited by AirBender

As mentioned earlier, the old rule of thumb I've followed successfully for years is to first ID whether it's staying as a head cold, or if it's progressed below the neck. If it remains above the neck, then your recovery will be relatively quick and you should actually be able to continue soon with LIGHT exercise. If it gets below your neck (or if you're running a temperature) then you're in the ***, time for total R&R.

Maybe ride/spin with an HRM to see how your body reacts. If your HR starts to race, then you're not ready.

PRESCRIPTION

Overdose on Vit C.

Relax between your ears. There is enough time to regain any lost form. The Argus is some time away.

Do not approach your fiets within a radius of 2.25 metres for 72 hrs.Not even for a hug?:blush:

All the best, man.

As mentioned earlier, the old rule of thumb I've followed successfully for years is to first ID whether it's staying as a head cold, or if it's progressed below the neck. If it remains above the neck, then your recovery will be relatively quick and you should actually be able to continue soon with LIGHT exercise. If it gets below your neck (or if you're running a temperature) then you're in the ***, time for total R&R.

Maybe ride/spin with an HRM to see how your body reacts. If your HR starts to race, then you're not ready.

Thanks tombeej :thumbup:

PRESCRIPTION

Overdose on Vit C.

Do not approach your fiets within a radius of 2.25 metres for 72 hrs.Not even for a hug?

[i]Be warned:

[/i]

Hugs can lead to further intimacy. :blink: :blink:

Careful the seduction of the bike.

Edited by AirBender

Said seduction took place!:rolleyes:

Unfortunately I read your reply too late!:unsure:

I couldn't resist the flowing lines nor the urge to get dirty!:drool:

I got so caught up in getting dirty on Saturday I think I burnt out a lung!

now I just hope I heal in time for next weekend's Route69!:blush:

I have since banned the above mentioned temptress into a locked room out of sight!:(