Energy Gels, need an alternative, suggestions pls

Elvin

Or do the half IM as you get free gels. 2 years ago at the last waterpoint there was boxes of gels. So I filled my cycling top with as many as possible. That evening I counted more than 30 gels. Lasted me for quit a while. Unfortunately now days they control the supply much better.......

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you really are on a tight budget, take a piece of sugarcane along and suck on it for the whole race!!!

Or compress one big sugar cube and stick it to your handlebars. lean forward and give it a good lick everytime you feel tired!!

:lol:

it stops chafing in the groin region... :lol:

Yeah, and like vaseline, you can also smear gel on your sunnies to stop em fogging...

I heard Blue waffles are good but whatever you do don't google it.....

:eek:

What has been seen cannot be unseenhttp://4.bp.blogspot.com/_U0MTskDL5S8/SvtB7h4ogoI/AAAAAAAABGQ/_QCf8pxOVnw/s320/sick+smiley.jpg

Just ride up to somebody in the bunch and ask them for a sip of their energy drink..... (Yes this actually happened!) :thumbup:

Did you guys know that team Radioshack eat waffles with honey etc. On Livestrongs website Johan Bruyneel actually gives their favourite recipe. It was a while back however. They also eat potatoes. But then again we must remember these guys ride 6 - 8 hours per day!!!

Nothing. You wrap them in foil so it is sealed. Wrap them the previous evening and leave in the fridge or you can even freeze them. Normally I would eat them withint the first 90minutes of the race as they are slow releasing. Come on use some commonsense...

Common sense tells me that if you have fresh cream inside the waffles and they sit in your pocket for a while combined with the heat generated by your body and the effect of the sun I would assume that the cream would have separated and started to turn... I would maybe leave the cream out, but I suppose each to their own. Whatever works for you :thumbup:

I am not saying that it won't work. I was just thinking about the mess. Doesn't it get sticky trying to get the contents out of the foil? Then again I suppose it depends how much honey and cream you use... I have tried potatoes and salt :thumbup: I can reccomend that! I might have to try the waffles sometime.

I guess it depends on the wrapping. Try and wrap each "meal" seperately. It is not something you wont to close again. It can get sticky yes but thats part of cycling isnt it? I have used ice cream and maple syrup as well. The thing is that it must be lekker moist and not dry or else its k&k.

Another thing for long rides is simba salt and vinegar chips + biltong....... mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

I only use gels for big events...

And I only use gels for the last 90 minutes or so

waffles sound friggin awesome. We've done honey and pnb in a wrap before and that didnt leak out, but i reckon if you had to stash it near your camelbak bladder (or in pouch nearby) the icecream or cream should hold up well :thumbup:

:eek:

What has been seen cannot be unseenhttp://4.bp.blogspot.com/_U0MTskDL5S8/SvtB7h4ogoI/AAAAAAAABGQ/_QCf8pxOVnw/s320/sick+smiley.jpg

bwwwwwhhhhhaaahhhaaahahhahahahaha, you googled it ..... and like you say ... cannot be unseen!

bwwwwwhhhhhaaahhhaaahahhahahahaha, you googled it ..... and like you say ... cannot be unseen!

Not the instant kink I had in mind...