Commuting (part 2)

Just a thank you to everyone that posted advice on commuting a while back. Managed my first commute to work this morning. Did get a puncture 5km's from home, but that was the only incident. Two front lights (one flashing, one solid beam) and lots of rear flashing units makes you surprisingly visible to cars!!

It was a rather nice feeling getting to work and stepping in to a hot shower with 30km's already in the legs for the day (especially after 3 weeks of flu and one course of antibiotics). Now hold thumbs I make it home safe

smileys/smiley36.gifsmileys/smiley36.gif

Fatty, 30km there... and 30km back..thats gonna make you strong.... all you cyclists out there..watch out for west coast express!!! This boy is gonna take us by storm Wink

How are you doing the whole "work clothes thing"?

Roll the clothes up the morning before the ride, and as soon as I get to the office, I take it out and hang it on a hanger while I shower. Seems to hold up well. Don't fold it, else it creases. Part of the advice the guys on the hub gave me.

Pity two cold fronts coming in tomorrow and the day after, so next commute will only be Friday. At least it's some training smileys/smiley9.gif...also using MTB shoes and pedals to make walking a bit easier to and from the gym area.

The great news is about my work... they have a shower here but in the last 5 years or so... they cut it off cos ppl at work were not using itCry. I asked the plumber while he was here for a dif. reason, how much it would cost to fix.... over R1000... so there went that idea

On a much more modest scale, I also started commuting to work this week by bike...but as it is takes only about 15 to 20 minutes by MTB does it actually count?

I guess the fact that I go home for lunch does mean I end up with around an hour on the bike for the day.....smileys/smiley4.gif

I'm also looking into this commuting to work with my bike thing.. Altough I only stay 8 km from work I just cant find the commitment!! Blaming the cold is a easy excuse...http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/28/28_3_5.gif

Hopefully if it gets warmer I'll start doing it!

fatty, i am suitably impressed... there is no way i'll commute in this cold!

(of course, once it warms up it'll be a different story... min 18km each way)

Just dress in layers...the best is knowing there is a warm shower at the end. This morning it was around 11'C, so I had a undershirt, cycling top and bib shorts. Thermal leg and armwarmers, a long sleeve cycling top and as a outer layer, one of those bright green Velotex rain jacket things. Believe it or not, I was sweating when I got to the office. Rather be a bit warm, than cold!!

errr, in 11'C i'd also get hot with all those layers... up here in jhb there's been frost and ice outside almost every morning for the past 2 weeks....

We havent seen temp. higher than -2 in the mornings for a while now! I think thats just a bit too cold...

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/23/23_2_36.gif

Sounds like Mud Dee has it worse than us! Fatcyclist, there's no way we're going out riding in these icy (OK at least frosty) conditions!

But it's great to hear that you're out there 'doing it'!

Guest Big H

Why "over R1000-00" to connect a waterpipe. Get somebody else to give you a quote.... somebody who is reasonably the DIY person should be able to remove the plug (or open the valve) and fit a Johnson coupling. No wonder plumbers earn more that heart surgeons!!!!!!! at least heart surgeons does not have to crawl into sewers.... but then some people (like the mokers) hearts are as dirty as sewers!!!!!!!

is there anybody in JHB who is brave enough to commute to work?

I've often thought about it while sitting in traffic, but then my i quickly wake up when a taxi screams past me in the emergency lane/yellow line...

I would most probably commute to work and back.  My biggest problem is the whole "suit" issue.  What I usually do is hook the bike to the car, drop the sister at work, go work.  I then stop the car at the clinic, put on my kit and cycle home.  Up to now the taxis have been MORE than accomodating, but the BMWs/Mercs/4x4s is another story all together.

for a little while earlier this year i was commuting on fridays with droster and a colleague of his... me = randburg to braamfontein and them = much further...

i agree with ewep - the taxis are more accomodating than the "luxury sedans" and 4x4's and buses are not nice to have anywhere near you.

i plan to start commuting again when it warms up - i'll drive in at least once a week to bring clothes etc then all i need to carry on me are my keys and my access card for the office - i can lock everything else up here smileys/smiley1.gif