Commuting (part 2)

Commuting daily at 5:50 in Pretoria. Not cold once you get going. Before ride drink quite a bit of cold water. Seems to make it not so cold. Maybe all in the mind. Do about 40 km per day. Ride a mountainbike with very wide knobbies and stick mostly to the pavements. Worked out a very nice route.

Wear jeans to work which do not really crease. Leave shoes and so at work. Commute takes about 20 odd minutes longer than by car.

Would like to commute, but work on the WROOOONNGGG side of JJHB, the Southsmileys/smiley11.gifsmileys/smiley11.gif smileys/smiley11.gif, and MainReefs a NOOO< as well as Maraisburg, and Ontdekkers via Aukland I don't really know

Did the commuting thing this morning......Nice to be back after a long absence.....

uploads/Spinnekop/images/2006-07-11_144558_Photo-0033.jpg

uploads/fatcyclist/images/2006-07-11_151121_commute.jpg

Thats my poor commuting bike. Small crack in head tube (not dangerous for normal riding), old Wobbler (sp?) rear wheel, old Campy Chorus 8spd groupset and other cheap parts...it works well enough smileys/smiley2.gif

Thats my poor commuting bike. Small crack in head tube (not dangerous for normal riding)' date=' old Wobbler (sp?) rear wheel, old Campy Chorus 8spd groupset and other cheap parts...it works well enough Click on image to open in new window[/quote']

You don't need lights with a pink monster like that - doesn't it glow in the dark? ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Would like to commute' date=' but work on the WROOOONNGGG side of JJHB, the SouthClick on image to open in new windowClick on image to open in new window Click on image to open in new window, and MainReefs a NOOO< as well as Maraisburg, and Ontdekkers via Aukland I don't really know[/quote']

As Slowpoke mentioned, I used to commute with her earlier this year. I ent from Randburg, Greenside, through Braamfontein, over Oom Nelson's bridge, smach thru the middle of downtown, thru Booysens, Turffontein and Alberton. 40km one way. Mostly we were two, but I did it once or twice on my own. It's safer than you think. BUT: Use your mtb. I will NEVER do that route on a roadbike. On the mtb you can dodge unsafe spots(traffic spots) by riding on the pavement etc.

It was huge fun, plus I got 80km once a week on my mtb. Good training that!

OK, so I did my first "full" commute from Alberton to Illovo this morning.  Had to bring my my clothes, etc. yesterday and leave it here.  My route was: Brackendowns, Alberton Hill, through Germiston up Fishers hill, through Linksfield & Oaklands and onto Oxford Rd. Illovo.  Had no trouble, but I must confess that I left home at 4AM and got to work at 6:15AM.

On my once a week afternoon ride from the sisters clinic I just skip the Oaklands and Oxford Rd part.

Attached the profile, can't WAIT to go back this afternoon, 70% DOWN!!!

uploads/ewep/images/2006-07-20_145346_get.do.jpg