Contador back on the bike

Lou Zealand

Aye Scotty, Contador knew exactly what he was doing.

Can't wait to see Andy in yellow in Paris :thumbup:

Nah, Contador didn't do anything wrong IMO. If Andy had a mechanical in normal racing conditions, i.e. just sitting in the peleton, they would've waited for him, but Andy was attacking and Contador was responding to the attack. That's fair IMO.

I just can't see the UCI/WADA letting this rest. It just does not make sense. The effect of just leaving it is exactly the same as legalising clenbuterol in the sport - the president has been set. From now on every defence on a positive clen test (and not just in cycling but all sport) will be based on the president set by the Contador case.

Look, I'm not a fan but I want to see the guy race. He is the best out there, no contest. I can't wait for the Andy Alberto duels on the slopes of the TdF (remember Alp d'Huez is included this year! :D ) But the ripple effect of this decision in cycling, and in sport in general, will be massive. What about Fuyu Li and all the others that are serving a 2 year ban for exactly the same offence.

Put yourself in McQuaid's shoes? What message would you send if you don't appeal?

Oh, and Andy in yellow in Paris? I would love that! However, IMO he'll attack AC on the less steep slopes and will gain some time as this is not AC's forte. They won't break each other on the big mountain stages so it's all going to come down to the TT again... but Andy knows this, he'll be spending the time on the TT machine...

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Put yourself in McQuaid's shoes? What message would you send if you don't appeal?

My feeling is still that McQuaid will let this go away, and that has always been his intention. He sat on the positive until his hand was forced by the german journalist, then he passed the buck to the spaniards and their due process allowed more time to be bought.

Then the 1 year ban was announced ahead of the official decision to test the water with the press and the public. All the while the UCI is blustering on about how they won't allow AC to get away with doping, saying AC has 'damaged cycling', playing the anti-doping enforcers - what a joke.

Now the Spanish ban has been downgraded to no ban based on article 296 of the UCI's regulations. Why bother with the 1 year ban at all - why not jump straight to no ban - article 296 is not a new one and there have been no new developments in this case, only the march of time, the press becoming weary of the story and the approach of the tour - which heaven forbid should be less exciting because of a few picograms of clenbuterol.

I don't believe the UCI want to go to CAS, especially right before the tour starts. Fat Pat will sit on it for a month and then say an appeal is not worthwhile. The only party remaining in this equation who may push for CAS is WADA.

Edited by Lucky Luke.

My feeling is still that McQuaid will let this go away, and that has always been his intention. He sat on the positive until his hand was forced by the german journalist, then he passed the buck to the spaniards and their due process allowed more time to be bought.

Then the 1 year ban was announced ahead of the official decision to test the water with the press and the public. All the while the UCI is blustering on about how they won't allow AC to get away with doping, saying AC has 'damaged cycling', playing the anti-doping enforcers - what a joke.

Now the Spanish ban has been downgraded to no ban based on article 236 of the UCI's regulations. Why bother with the 1 year ban at all - why not jump straight to no ban - article 236 is not a new one and there have been no new developments in this case, only the march of time, the press becoming weary of the story and the approach of the tour - which heaven forbid should be less exciting because of a few picograms of clenbuterol.

I don't believe the UCI want to go to CAS. Fat Pat will sit on it for a month and then say an appeal is not worthwhile. The only party remaining in this equation who may push for CAS is WADA.

Lucky Luke gets my nomination for next UCI president...

(note the correct use of president as opposed to precedent you lot...)

After the debacle around L/A and now Contador I find watching cycling boring now - so much hype about it. Contador is an idiot for passing Schleck when his chain came off etc etc etc ...... I'm really not too interested in the Tour and wins and loses .... but silently I'm harbouring hope that Schleck or anyone else beat the crap out of the arrogant Contador - !!!! Doping is here to stay !!!

After the debacle around L/A and now Contador I find watching cycling boring now - so much hype about it. Contador is an idiot for passing Schleck when his chain came off etc etc etc ...... I'm really not too interested in the Tour and wins and loses .... but silently I'm harbouring hope that Schleck or anyone else beat the crap out of the arrogant Contador - !!!! Doping is here to stay !!!

I have been trying to get all my feelings and emotions on the subject in to one simple paragraph, till now it's been rather difficult.

Thanks for making it easy :thumbup:

Edited by Dangle

I think you are assuming McQuaid has a personal interest here and it may be so, I have seen enough posts hinting at this. But its not up to him to send any message, he simply has to follow the legal process in place. Appealling a lost cause "to send a message" will just result in further embarrasment if the appeal is overturned.

There has to be a legally reasonable chance of succeeding in any appeal before its worthwhile starting the process, as I said, the UCI cant just go ahead and appeal because they feel offended.

Much as i would like to see a Conty- Schleck showdown again, its stinks that Conty had an affair advantage last time (am not taking the Spanish crap for clearing the cheating or swipping it under the carpet) Double standards will open loops holes, where will they draw the line now? Next time someone will put EPO in a steak then what?

Much as i would like to see a Conty- Schleck showdown again, its stinks that Conty had an affair advantage last time (am not taking the Spanish crap for clearing the cheating or swipping it under the carpet) Double standards will open loops holes, where will they draw the line now? Next time someone will put EPO in a steak then what?

Well then, that case will have to be judged on its own merits.

I dont see any ambiguity here.

Interesting that the Sports Uni lab in Cologne, Germany (WADA accredited) tested 28 travellers returning to Germany from a trip to China. 22 of them tested positive fro low levels of clenbuterol probably due to misuse of clenbuterol as a growth promoter in stock-breeding.

Perhaps it was unintentional?

If i remember correctly AC was already past schleck(?) and who is the idiot for not being able to change gears properly? How about schleck not waiting when other riders binned it on the cobbles?

Nah, Contador didn't do anything wrong IMO. If Andy had a mechanical in normal racing conditions, i.e. just sitting in the peleton, they would've waited for him, but Andy was attacking and Contador was responding to the attack. That's fair IMO.

I just can't see the UCI/WADA letting this rest. It just does not make sense. The effect of just leaving it is exactly the same as legalising clenbuterol in the sport - the president has been set. From now on every defence on a positive clen test (and not just in cycling but all sport) will be based on the president set by the Contador case.

Look, I'm not a fan but I want to see the guy race. He is the best out there, no contest. I can't wait for the Andy Alberto duels on the slopes of the TdF (remember Alp d'Huez is included this year! :D ) But the ripple effect of this decision in cycling, and in sport in general, will be massive. What about Fuyu Li and all the others that are serving a 2 year ban for exactly the same offence.

Oh, and Andy in yellow in Paris? I would love that! However, IMO he'll attack AC on the less steep slopes and will gain some time as this is not AC's forte. They won't break each other on the big mountain stages so it's all going to come down to the TT again... but Andy knows this, he'll be spending the time on the TT machine...

They are going to be so busy watching each other Basso is going to take it. :clap:

There has to be a legally reasonable chance of succeeding in any appeal before its worthwhile starting the process, as I said, the UCI cant just go ahead and appeal because they feel offended.

And last clenbuterol verdict that was overturned and then appealed at CAS by WADA was upheld, that german ping pong player or whatever... So, chances are, CAS will side with contador on this.

Interesting that the Sports Uni lab in Cologne, Germany (WADA accredited) tested 28 travellers returning to Germany from a trip to China. 22 of them tested positive fro low levels of clenbuterol probably due to misuse of clenbuterol as a growth promoter in stock-breeding.

Perhaps it was unintentional?

Only problem is Contador was in Europe not China and its banned in Europe. I believe that tests carried out on meat from Spain subsquent to Contador saga have found zero contaminated meat.

And why are not more people testing positive for it in EU?

Edited by SwissVan

The Glory days of the Tour are over.

Contador?

Schleck?

Give us re-runs of Chiappucci, Bugno, Delgado, Theunisse, Pantani, Roche, Anderson, Abdoujaparov,Cippolini, Fignon, The Badger, ANYDAY!

Todays Tour is too clinical and devoid of that essence that made me want to be a cyclist as a kid.

Were these guys on drugs? Probably, but who cares.

When they rode bikes, it was SPECTACULAR

Maybe the race radio ban will help.

RIP Le Tour...