Contador back on the bike

Lou Zealand

McQuaid accepted that Contador is free to ride Tour of the Algarve that begins today in Portugal. However, he acknowledged that the uncertainty was not good for the sport.

"That's the rules. The rules allow him to race, so he races," he said.

Yeah, exactly what I am saying.

The Spanish federation are a legitimate body and their decisions are binding, so 'Berto is back at work.

Bodies like the Spanish federation are given certain powers and those powers need to be respected.

The appeal process is not meant to be used to "grind an axe", for eg. if Pat has a personal issue here as has been suggested, its a standard legal procedure and is simply in place to allow recourse, its not the UCI'S playtool to use to overide legitimate decisions.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Who knows what goes on behind closed doors...one thing for sure, there is more happening in the board room here than the public can debate.

What we do know for sure if that there's still steam coming out of McQaid's ears!

I hear what you are saying Grumpy...

The problem is that that the UCI and WADA are also legitimate organisations, so either way this goes, one of them is discredited.

The Spanish federation are a legitimate body and their decisions are binding, so 'Berto is back at work.

Bodies like the Spanish federation are given certain powers and those powers need to be respected.

The appeal process is not meant to be used to "grind an axe", for eg. if Pat has a personal issue here as has been suggested, its a standard legal procedure and is simply in place to allow recourse, its not the UCI'S playtool to use to overide legitimate decisions.

It's just that the Spanish seem a little biased...

Hmmm I never thought of the axe to grind aspect - I left it at the decision / conty appeal / uciwada appeal.

Pat seems a bit miff - justifiably I recon given that the spanish goverment was already saying that Conty should be let off before the federation had made a decision.

If anything I think that UCI/WADA is more independant than the Spanish Federation - would you go against a government decision?

Ultimately we are all speculating I guess. Personally I think he doped with clen tainted blood but thats my opinion only. I think he's guilty and should be banned.

But then again I think the same of the whole peleton so see my opinion on context...

I have always liked Contador, but last year he attacked when Schleck had trouble. That made me like him less.

We don't really know if he cheated, only he will ever really know, but the fact that he attacked Schleck when he did says a lot more about the man than did he drug or not.

i hope Schleck trains his backside off so he can Contador bewildered at the Tour, granted it will make a more interesting race that he is there but it seriously confuses me how he can get off for the same thing others have been banned for?? consistent much?

I have always liked Contador, but last year he attacked when Schleck had trouble. That made me like him less.

We don't really know if he cheated, only he will ever really know, but the fact that he attacked Schleck when he did says a lot more about the man than did he drug or not.

I'm a Schleck supporter and when i saw that i was also miffed but then previous TDF winners stated Contodor was correct.

What irked me is that Contador outright lied that he saw nothing when vidio footage showed he looked down at Schlecks chain as he passed.

Edited by scotty

Could not prove wrong doing.....?

So now if you take a banned substance and test + for it its not enough, they have to prove you took it intentionaly?

Works if you are a Springbok rugby player? They said they didn't know, and were let off immediately. Isn't that the same thing?

Works if you are a Springbok rugby player? They said they didn't know, and were let off immediately. Isn't that the same thing?

Jaaaa its rather disappointing.... Legal technicalities...its not what you do but how clever your lawyers / cycling federation are.

It also helps that the law was downgraded whilst said springboks were under investigation...

When lawyers are needed to sort sports problems out, something is very wrong with the whole concept. I have no better solution to offer, but I cannot help feeling sad about this kind of thing, somewhat like I would feel if someone dear to me is seriously ill.

If anything I think that UCI/WADA is more independant than the Spanish Federation - would you go against a government decision?

Well, I assume the UCI agree with the layers of process, and as the decision rests firstly and foremostly with the Spanish Federation, their decision needs to be respected as a legitimate one.

I dont go much for conspiracy theories so one must assume they did due diligence and examined all the facts before making the decision. They know very well their decision could be appealed so I am pretty sure they crossed the T's and dotted the I's before going public.

If the UCI still wants to appeal later of course they can do so, however, thats not to say it will be upheld, they could lose the appeal as well.....I think they may just let sleeping dogs lie - but yeah, I guess we will see later.

It also helps that the law was downgraded whilst said springboks were under investigation...

At least there were no politics involved by the administrators. Now, where did I leave that sarcasm font?