Van Gaalens Mountain biking and running trails

L.T.G

:drool:

Have to get back out there, my vG dosage is a month overdue at least and the withdrawals are becoming unbearable!

People say I'm rather irritable and grumpy of late, clearly a vG ride is needed.

In some ways I liked the old style of the riding there where you had to ride or portage through the rivers. No doubt though, the bridges to add to the flow and are a veritable godsend in winter. Event though Intern's mate enjoys a 3m dive into the river, acrobatically avoiding the fallen trees and branches too. As Obelix would say "These roadies are crazy I tell you!"

agree about riding through the rivers... but i'll save that for summer.

was -3 when we got to VG at 630 on Sat morning :eek:

most bridges are back now, par the one where the old steel gate used be... but further down the floating bridge is back , so you can cross from north to south without having to get your socks soaked.

• Replies 971
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks again for the intro L.T.G - good fun! Must commit to more time at VG, good mix of terrain.

• 3 months later...

Hey guys,

Where does one find info on this place, not going to lie you have done a good job selling it!

You can get directions on www.vangaalen.co.za. That's the site of the actual cheese farm where the trails start. Once you get there they'll give you a map and directions depending on where and what you want to ride.

• 2 months later...

Just when you think FUN Gaalens can't get any better...... Erik does it again!

I took these this morning having an amazing time round the River Trail.

These are newer singletrack sections Erik's made and he also told me about at least 2 more sections where he's added more singletrack, one is close to the river (off the looping district road)and another is at the Greek Church.. I'm hoping to getting round to doing these in the next two weeks, I'll post pics as soon as I've done them.

post-6012-0-27132900-1324467547.jpg

post-6012-0-90464100-1324467583.jpg

post-6012-0-62760800-1324467604.jpg

post-6012-0-57901900-1324468149.jpg

Just when you think FUN Gaalens can't get any better...... Erik does it again!

it's good to be a mountain biker :clap:

1324468933[/url]' post='1553918']

you dont perhaps have the garmin links for these new sections LTG

Sorry dude I rode garminless today!(don't have it on my SS )But when I go again I'll be sure to take have the garminthumbup1.gif

Sorry dude I rode garminless today!(don't have it on my SS )But when I go again I'll be sure to take have the garminthumbup1.gif

Ta, thanks meneer :thumbup:

Anyone know if they have maps available yet? I know when I rode there last there wasnt any but I am hoping to ride there again this weekend and not get lost again

Edited by Grondpad

Anyone know if they have maps available yet? I know when I rode there last there wasnt any but I am hoping to ride there again this weekend and not get lost again

Not sure about the maps Grondpad, but i know there are some in the display case outside the farmhouse.

I find the routes to be pretty well marked(that's how i came across this one in the pics), especially after all the events there this year.

I also do spend almost every weekend there :rolleyes: so i'm fairly familiar with trails

Not sure about the maps Grondpad, but i know there are some in the display case outside the farmhouse.

I find the routes to be pretty well marked(that's how i came across this one in the pics), especially after all the events there this year.

I also do spend almost every weekend there :rolleyes: so i'm fairly familiar with trails

Totally agree there are lots of signs all over now, much better than it used to be. Let's hope there are no floods this year, missing bridges in the winter makes for cold toes. I am a sissie that way :D

Totally agree there are lots of signs all over now, much better than it used to be. Let's hope there are no floods this year, missing bridges in the winter makes for cold toes. I am a sissie that way :D

Well last year's big floods were in December with the biggest storm being on the 16th so I hope you're right , but the bridges are a higher now and steel so they should be better... But Nature's a powerful b!{€h so anything's possible!