Van Gaalens Mountain biking and running trails

L.T.G

but but, you ride there so much, you should know where everything is... :P

Which part are you looking for a file for, from Chicken Pie or the enduro?

Isn't the enduro just the rocky descent down Pofadder?

Chicken Pie, you basically ride next to the R512 until Nikita, hang a left up and over, cross the tar road, right at the 4way intersection by Ale House, go around the hill until the tar road that Peaconwood total is on, when you get to the total, ride next to the tar until at VG.

I often ride from Nikita, it's closer to home.

Chicken Pie to Nikita is about 10km's, Nikita to VG is 24.5km.

Here's a ride from Nikita to Pofadder and down the other side:

https://www.strava.com/activities/1165952178 

Cant get this activity to load. Maybe check its privacy setting?

• Replies 971
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

but but, you ride there so much, you should know where everything is... :P... I should .. but like my dad says, if you hang around people where you're the one that knows everything, you'll never learn... I always learn on here ^_^

Which part are you looking for a file for, from Chicken Pie or the enduro? The Enduro

I'm battling to open these links, any suggestions?

gpx - you should be able to open them on your garmin.

I'll post the strava routes..

Edited by 100Tours

Couple things with your routes:

36km one: the "River section 1 going east" after mini oom piets isn't open anymore, you can go into it for a few hundred meters before it's closed.

the 45km one: Going up Oom Piets now is a little different.

The climb to greek church has also changed, you start about 50-100m before the old start if coming from Oom Piets side because of buffalo now on the farm the old route went through.

LTG, maybe this should go into the first post of this thread?

attachicon.gifVanGaalens.jpg

Maybe one of you enthusiasts can go ride every path in one go and be a mate and upload the subsequent gpx file? [emoji12]

Sent from my F5321 using Tapatalk

but but, you ride there so much, you should know where everything is... :P... I should .. but like my dad says, if you hang around people where you're the one that knows everything, you'll never learn... I always learn on here ^_^

Which part are you looking for a file for, from Chicken Pie or the enduro? The Enduro

Could it be this one?

https://www.strava.com/segments/5749121

I see i did it when i was doing the concrete strips area mapping (below)

Maybe one of you enthusiasts can go ride every path in one go and be a mate and upload the subsequent gpx file? [emoji12]

Haha, umm i did this a while ago (Jan 2016) with most the trails around the concrete strips...

There are new trails around that area, so i'll probably need to do this again.

https://www.strava.com/activities/476313605

done  :thumbup:

Thanks for suggestion  :clap:

Could it be this one?

https://www.strava.com/segments/5749121

I see i did it when i was doing the concrete strips area mapping (below)

Haha, umm i did this a while ago (Jan 2016) with most the trails around the concrete strips...

There are new trails around that area, so i'll probably need to do this again.

https://www.strava.com/activities/476313605

Looks like or close to the Revenge descent? 

• 2 weeks later...

Tell me is mini oom piets on this map still open and Is it bi-directional? So you can use it back to the river trail by hollybrooke farm?

Tell me is mini oom piets on this map still open and Is it bi-directional? So you can use it back to the river trail by hollybrooke farm?

Mini oom piets is still open, but as you cross the district road, that section is closed. On that map, it's the green section below "Benburn". So to get back to the river, you need to go around on the district road and jump in at the bridge just past Greek Church.

Mini oom piets is still open, but as you cross the district road, that section is closed. On that map, it's the green section below "Benburn". So to get back to the river, you need to go around on the district road and jump in at the bridge just past Greek Church.

Ja Byron.. :cursing:

As typhoon said, that FLIPPEN AWESOME section is all disrupted now, thanks to the landowner barring access.

Claimed reason, riders trespassing and riding where they shouldn't.

Which confuses me as it's pretty much a stretch less than 1km along a fence that you can't veer off of.

Anyway...

IF , you'd like to sample it (not sure how much of it is still rideable) where you's "jump in at the bridge" you can head west instead of back east  to VG, there's a water crossing (no bridge) and you'll eventually just have to double back as you can't complete it.

It's such a pity, the River used to be 10kms long out, but it's about 6km, last almost 4kms is "lost" because of this tiny last section being closed off :thumbdown:  

Ja Byron.. :cursing:

As typhoon said, that FLIPPEN AWESOME section is all disrupted now, thanks to the landowner barring access.

Claimed reason, riders trespassing and riding where they shouldn't.

Which confuses me as it's pretty much a stretch less than 1km along a fence that you can't veer off of.

Anyway...

IF , you'd like to sample it (not sure how much of it is still rideable) where you's "jump in at the bridge" you can head west instead of back east to VG, there's a water crossing (no bridge) and you'll eventually just have to double back as you can't complete it.

It's such a pity, the River used to be 10kms long out, but it's about 6km, last almost 4kms is "lost" because of this tiny last section being closed off [emoji107]

Ah flip guys... So basically you actually can't go past hollybrooke farm anymore if I'm understanding correctly... After jumping onto the river trail just before Greek Church, and you head west, you'll hit an unpassable section before hollybrooke?

So the ride will be as follows... South East on mini oom, join the district road, swing east north east at the vulture restaurant, then swing a north turn (left) to go up past Benburn and kasaan?

Probably still a cool ride though...?

Ah flip guys... So basically you actually can't go past hollybrooke farm anymore if I'm understanding correctly...  You can go past, but no idea of the current state of the trail once through the next section of reed tunnels.

The unpassable section is shortly after the NEXT river crossing.

So the ride will be as follows... South East on mini oom, join the district road, swing east north east at the vulture restaurant, then swing a north turn (left) to go up past Benburn and kasaan? pretty much 

Probably still a cool ride though...?

EVERY ride at FUN Gaalen is a cool ride  :clap: