Van Gaalens Mountain biking and running trails

L.T.G

Ah flip guys... So basically you actually can't go past hollybrooke farm anymore if I'm understanding correctly... You can go past, but no idea of the current state of the trail once through the next section of reed tunnels.

The unpassable section is shortly after the NEXT river crossing.

So the ride will be as follows... South East on mini oom, join the district road, swing east north east at the vulture restaurant, then swing a north turn (left) to go up past Benburn and kasaan? pretty much

Probably still a cool ride though...?

EVERY ride at FUN Gaalen is a cool ride :clap:

Thanks [emoji846]

Are there shower facilities by the bathrooms?

Sent from my F5321 using Tapatalk

• Replies 971
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks [emoji846]

Are there shower facilities by the bathrooms?

Sent from my F5321 using Tapatalk

Yip, can't remember if they've got hot water or not, but if you're riding this weekend.... you won't need it.

tomorrow and Sunday's forecast is a 37 degree high!!! 

• 2 months later...

Anyone have any idea how the trails are doing after the heavy rains yesterday?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anyone have any idea how the trails are doing after the heavy rains yesterday?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apologies... only saw this now 

I'm assuming you were asking for the weekend.. it was a total wash out.

Bridges washed away etc

but this weekend mostly all should be pretty much ok.

Apologies... only saw this now 

I'm assuming you were asking for the weekend.. it was a total wash out.

Bridges washed away etc

but this weekend mostly all should be pretty much ok.

Not to worry, we rode anyway - river trail was very slick but every where else was no problems at all

• 4 weeks later...

So i did a 43km yesterday. Concrete Tracks, Tannie Miems, Daggapad, Railway, full Oom Piets and then as much of the river as I had access to.

Man, was it a hard ride... Concrete track is its usually loose, sharp and steep self. Daggapad is ragged and wild at the moment from all the rains. Very little soil left, and the bushes and lantana plants were giving me a whipping.

I pasted myself with a nice blast of rotting vegetable peels there on the railway line, which of course attracted the flies for the rest of the ride  :nuke:

And there is no rest for you on Oom Piets... the uphill is rocky and also quite grassy at the moment, and then you think you'll have a bit of a respite on the downhill back to the river... nope, the cattle tracks are eroded, bumpy, and rocky... a kidney belt and a much softer suspension would have come in handy ;)

And then the river trail is still quite sloshy and at parts sometimes actually seems a little lower than the height of the river at the moment  :eek:

So yes, good training for the Magalies Monster, but it felt way harder than the 43km Strava and TomTom makes it out to be... haha

but but, you ride there so much, you should know where everything is... :P

Which part are you looking for a file for, from Chicken Pie or the enduro?

Isn't the enduro just the rocky descent down Pofadder?

Chicken Pie, you basically ride next to the R512 until Nikita, hang a left up and over, cross the tar road, right at the 4way intersection by Ale House, go around the hill until the tar road that Peaconwood total is on, when you get to the total, ride next to the tar until at VG.

I often ride from Nikita, it's closer to home.

Chicken Pie to Nikita is about 10km's, Nikita to VG is 24.5km.

Here's a ride from Nikita to Pofadder and down the other side:

https://www.strava.com/activities/1165952178 

Hi so I want to do this ride... is it safe to do it alone? I normally ride alone

Hi so I want to do this ride... is it safe to do it alone? I normally ride alone

9 outta 10 times i'm alone at VG (at least 3/4 times a month), so I don't have a safety issue, though i do know all the trails around there pretty well.

Suppose the best advice when riding solo is don't take unnecessary risks... and just greet and be friendly.

There has been the odd issue, but they are few and far between, can't even recall when the last one was.

(at least 3/4 times a month)   

:(... I miss going that often 

Edited by L.T.G

Hi. Is the trails at Van Gaalen directional?

I have not ridden there before. I definitely don't want to be that guy heading head first into on-coming riders.

What would the protocol be if linking up to any part of the trail? Is there some form of trail-fee/gratuity to pay?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Hi. Is the trails at Van Gaalen directional?

I have not ridden there before. I definitely don't want to be that guy heading head first into on-coming riders.

What would the protocol be if linking up to any part of the trail? Is there some form of trail-fee/gratuity to pay?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

R50 to ride

Trails are mostly unidirectional ....

buuuuuut there are spots where they're both bidirectional, not spots with blind corners though.. you'll be able to see traffic coming from a distance.

• 7 months later...

Hi. Can anyone assist. I tried to access Oom Piet and Greek Church. Had no luck...

Oom Piets (main loop) - you link up to the loop from the Remhoogte road, and then? The road splits, do you go left or right (up a little incline)? There is no signage. Is Oom Piet clearly marked from there on?

And Greek Church... does one go through the small pedestrian gate to the side? Or do you head up next to the fence? And is it marked clearly from there on?

And, would both be safe to do on your own?

Edited by CogitoErgoSum

Howzit

Rode just the Greek church loop on my own today and was fine. You have to go through the pedestrian gate and another 2 farm gates I think it was. The Greek church loop is well marked all the way up the hill and through the gates.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Hi guys,

Have ridden most of the pta and jhb trails but not Van Gaalens yet. Battling to find details on the various routes and distances, can anyone assist?

Much appreciated!

Hi guys,

Have ridden most of the pta and jhb trails but not Van Gaalens yet. Battling to find details on the various routes and distances, can anyone assist?

Much appreciated!

Have ridden there a few times this year.  They have some great trails but the signage is not great on many of them. 

If it were my first time I'd stick to the "River Trail" and "The Greek Church" route as they're the most well signed.  If I remember correctly that should get you about 35km. 

If you're looking for more distance and fun you can ride up to "Tannie Miems" which involves a very challenging climb and exhilarating descents after which you could circle round to the "River Trail", "Oom Piet" and "Greek Church" - That should get you to about 60km's, but be prepared to explore and potentially get a bit lost.

They do have a trail maps on hand and the owner, Eric, is usually around to give you guidance on the various routes.