Van Gaalens Mountain biking and running trails

L.T.G

park at alehouse. that way you have a great excuse for beer and pizza after the ride....

Last time we got to the black gate on the equestrian farm, and it was locked. We bypassed it by walking towards the little stream at the bottom and thus bypass the fence.

I am keen for a route that's not next to the pecanwood tar road, I will pack my hiking boots it seems...

Will check out typhoons strava thingy little later.

There is a dirt road on the other side on the hill, i missed a turn somewhere that would have lead me onto this segment coming from the African Swiss side. So i missioned through the veld.

https://www.strava.com/segments/4256503

Then when going along the dirt road, i looked for this segment

https://www.strava.com/segments/742346

Which takes you up to the the climb after concrete strips. There are multiple cattle tracks on that segment and two gate you need to go through, one to get off the dirt road, the other half way up, as you go through the second gate, the segment turns right after some bushes, not far from the gate. I missed it and doubled back after a couple hundred meters. Thats where it gets a little steep and rough. oh yes, there is a third small gate just as you get to the top, after that, it's all ridable until you join the normal trails couple hundred meter later.

Was one of those ride where you ride a bit, stop to check on strava where you are, ride more, check you on track, ride, check.... :D

Using the segment explorer on Strava is an easy way to find routes/trails, if there is a segment, it's been ridden, so there must be a path somewhere.

Edited by typhoon

• Replies 971
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Any angry farmers?

I'd hate to be met with a shotgun or the likes while carrying my bike.

Dit: by the looks of it I will mostly be carrying my bike...and not riding it. Eek

Edited by RocknRolla

There is a dirt road on the other side on the hill, i missed a turn somewhere that would have lead me onto this segment coming from the African Swiss side. So i missioned through the veld.

https://www.strava.com/segments/4256503

Then when going along the dirt road, i looked for this segment

https://www.strava.com/segments/742346

Which takes you up to the the climb after concrete strips. There are multiple cattle tracks on that segment and two gate you need to go through, one to get off the dirt road, the other half way up, as you go through the second gate, the segment turns right after some bushes, not far from the gate. I missed it and doubled back after a couple hundred meters. Thats where it gets a little steep and rough. oh yes, there is a third small gate just as you get to the top, after that, it's all ridable until you join the normal trails couple hundred meter later.

Was one of those ride where you ride a bit, stop to check on strava where you are, ride more, check you on track, ride, check.... :D

Using the segment explorer on Strava is an easy way to find routes/trails, if there is a segment, it's been ridden, so there must be a path somewhere.

Hi Typhoon:

Thanks for all this info, I downloaded the Strava routes you sent and will go do them somewhere in the next 4 weeks.

Where/What is Nikita?

Thanks

Hi Typhoon:

Thanks for all this info, I downloaded the Strava routes you sent and will go do them somewhere in the next 4 weeks.

Where/What is Nikita?

Thanks

http://www.nikitamotel.co.za 

Nikita is a restaurant on the R512.

From Lanseria direction, it's about 3km's before the Broederstroom T-junction by the Sasol.

From PTA, from the R104, you would turn left onto the R512 and it's 3km's up the road

On a side note, the toilets are only IN the restaurant, which doesn't open up it's doors until about 7am...

Keep that in mind if you're planning an early start.

Edited by typhoon

http://www.nikitamotel.co.za 

Nikita is a restaurant on the R512.

From Lanseria direction, it's about 3km's before the Broederstroom T-junction by the Sasol.

From PTA, from the R104, you would turn left onto the R512 and it's 3km's up the road

On a side note, the toilets are only IN the restaurant, which doesn't open up it's doors until about 7am...

Keep that in mind if you're planning an early start.

Great thanks a lot. Appreciate you sharing the info.

Bumped into this thread today. Going to Hartees with family for weekend. Planning to take bike along and do this route. I'm hoping there are beginner trails since I'm still new to this sport. Nonetheless in very excited. Did a bit of green and blue trails at Red barn last weekend and enjoyed it!

@veez999 ....

Just ride, till you fall of your bike. :w00t:  

Nothing better than the endless, extensive network off trails, scenery and challenges.

A bit "hike a bike" will never hurt, there are places out there ... worth a lot off effort, to get to it.

Just take your cellphone with GPS maps, if you may get lost. :whistling:

As "RocknRolla" stated, DO NOT forget the water.

It is pretty safe out there, never had any incident, but it will be better to be NOT alone.

Especially if you run out of luck or talent, it is good to have someone helping, to get back on your bike. :blush:

Just completed 17km on the river trail up to the Greek church.couldn't make it all the way up and made my way back.beautiful trails, friendly cyclists, just get there early cause it gets damn hot.

Welcome to MTB heaven :thumbup:

Just completed 17km on the river trail up to the Greek church.couldn't make it all the way up and made my way back.beautiful trails, friendly cyclists, just get there early cause it gets damn hot.

Nice choice of route for your first VG ride....

• 4 weeks later...

I took this pic a couple months ago, but last week Saturday it looked exactly the same :thumbdown:

post-6012-0-70388000-1458389485_thumb.jpg

Same spot today :clap:

post-6012-0-91048100-1458388443_thumb.jpg

River's actually so full we had to do a bit of exploration to get around certain sections as the trail was under so much water 

Erik reckons they had over 200mls this last week.

Edited by L.T.G

Hi, We are planning a long ride at VG tomorrow. Does anyone know if the climb over the ridge which is normally in the advendurance races is open to the public?

Cant seem to post a map... some security issue on my PC.

I think the climb is called the satellite climb, and it ends with the floating bridge? 

Cant seem to post a map... some security issue on my PC.

I think the climb is called the satellite climb, and it ends with the floating bridge? 

that is closed...race day only trails

PS, dont test the farmers there by poaching a ride, hulle skiet eers en vra later

Edited by rouxtjie