Van Gaalens Mountain biking and running trails

L.T.G

Have ridden there a few times this year. They have some great trails but the signage is not great on many of them.

If it were my first time I'd stick to the "River Trail" and "The Greek Church" route as they're the most well signed. If I remember correctly that should get you about 35km.

If you're looking for more distance and fun you can ride up to "Tannie Miems" which involves a very challenging climb and exhilarating descents after which you could circle round to the "River Trail", "Oom Piet" and "Greek Church" - That should get you to about 60km's, but be prepared to explore and potentially get a bit lost.

They do have a trail maps on hand and the owner, Eric, is usually around to give you guidance on the various routes.

Agreed. I did this, but signage after tant miems downhill is not great. I got lost a bit and had to take the district roads and tar back to van gaalens. Used the elemnt bolt navigation to get back????

• Replies 971
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi guys,

Have ridden most of the pta and jhb trails but not Van Gaalens yet. Battling to find details on the various routes and distances, can anyone assist?

Much appreciated!

If you were planning on going there this weekend, just note that they are hosting the Magaliesberg Challenge trail run on Saturday 17 August so presumably at least some of the trails might be closed.

we staying at hollybrooke next weekend for a wedding Saturday

idea is to braai Friday wake up early on Saturday cycle to van gaalens and ride a bit at the cheese farm

the non cyclists will then meet us via car at van gaalens and we will all have a brunch at  the cheese farm

thats the idea

is that doable?

to get to van gaalens via hollybroak?

we staying at hollybrooke next weekend for a wedding Saturday

idea is to braai Friday wake up early on Saturday cycle to van gaalens and ride a bit at the cheese farm

the non cyclists will then meet us via car at van gaalens and we will all have a brunch at  the cheese farm

thats the idea

is that doable?

to get to van gaalens via hollybroak?

Good news for you - it looks like that is basically at the exit to the Greek church loop and just above where the river trails start. So you have a lekker little warmup down the river on your way to Van Gaalens.. Or you can take the dirt road back to Skeerpoort and ride to VG's that way. :clap:  :clap:

Look at the map at the start of this thread - Greek church is blue, river route is green and the dirt road is yellow. You can see Hollybrooke on the map too.

Edited by 100Tours

If you want a suggested loop I would do the following:

1. Stop at van Gaalens on Friday, buy a ticket and sign their indemnity. You will want to ride out on Saturday rather than first riding to their office.
  2. Wake up Saturday morning, go left out the Hollybrooke gates and up the Greek church hill (Light blue route). The climb is on the dirt road, then onto some jeep track. The church is pretty (especially if around sunrise), and the descent is lekker fun. lots of bush tunnels and little twisty foresty single track. 
  3. Exit van Gaalens onto the green river single track (again left) down to VG's proper. There are some nice tracks through tunnels of bamboo down here. Eventually cross the bridge to van Gaalens. (If you end up wading the river then you've found the old route and you'll find the farm just down the road that you have arrived on)
  4. stay close to the river on the farm-side bank and you'll find the normal 'start'. this takes you a little upriver, under the road bridge, and then climbs up to the old railway. (green route onto white route here)
  5. Take a left on the railway if feeling strong. This takes you to the yellow/brown route (which is an arrow straight dirt road), leading to a little rocky single track connector that leads you onto the concrete strip climb (brown route). Otherwise take a right and proceed to 8.
  6. Keep left again when you hit the T-junction (over the top of the concrete climb). Climb the ridge and cross over the stile at the top of the climb onto tannie miems (the low route) - this drops down the far side of the ridge and unfolds a whole world of awesome singletrack. smile. (options are to push up pofadder which climbs the koppie in front of you, or take the high road on Revenge, but Tannie Miems is the awesomest)
  7. You'll eventually arrive on the Skeerpoort pass. cross over the road onto the singletracks on the far side and take a deep breath. Daggapad is really a goat track along the cliff face, so proceed with caution. you will rejoin the road below you shortly.
  8. exit skeerpoort pass and turn left on dark blue singletrack following the road. Do pomphuis if you need more, or just follow the singletrack along the tar.
  9. follow track to the road underpass (white connector again), and follow this back to the dirt. 
  10. Connect up with the river singletrack at the base of Oom Piets. (orange/green), and then laugh all the way down the river route back to van gaalens. or to holybrooke if you stop early.

https://www.strava.com/routes/21036931

https://www.strava.com/routes/21036768

https://www.strava.com/routes/21036786

Edited by 100Tours

If you want a suggested loop I would do the following:

1. Stop at van Gaalens on Friday, buy a ticket and sign their indemnity. You will want to ride out on Saturday rather than first riding to their office.
  2. Wake up Saturday morning, go left out the Hollybrooke gates and up the Greek church hill (Light blue route). The climb is on the dirt road, then onto some jeep track. The church is pretty (especially if around sunrise), and the descent is lekker fun. lots of bush tunnels and little twisty foresty single track. 
  3. Exit van Gaalens onto the green river single track (again left) down to VG's proper. There are some nice tracks through tunnels of bamboo down here. Eventually cross the bridge to van Gaalens. (If you end up wading the river then you've found the old route and you'll find the farm just down the road that you have arrived on)
  4. stay close to the river on the farm-side bank and you'll find the normal 'start'. this takes you a little upriver, under the road bridge, and then climbs up to the old railway. (green route onto white route here)
  5. Take a left on the railway if feeling strong. This takes you to the yellow/brown route (which is an arrow straight dirt road), leading to a little rocky single track connector that leads you onto the concrete strip climb (brown route). Otherwise take a right and proceed to 8.
  6. Keep left again when you hit the T-junction (over the top of the concrete climb). Climb the ridge and cross over the stile at the top of the climb onto tannie miems (the low route) - this drops down the far side of the ridge and unfolds a whole world of awesome singletrack. smile. (options are to push up pofadder which climbs the koppie in front of you, or take the high road on Revenge, but Tannie Miems is the awesomest)
  7. You'll eventually arrive on the Skeerpoort pass. cross over the road onto the singletracks on the far side and take a deep breath. Daggapad is really a goat track along the cliff face, so proceed with caution. you will rejoin the road below you shortly.
  8. exit skeerpoort pass and turn left on dark blue singletrack following the road. Do pomphuis if you need more, or just follow the singletrack along the tar.
  9. follow track to the road underpass (white connector again), and follow this back to the dirt. 
  10. Connect up with the river singletrack at the base of Oom Piets. (orange/green), and then laugh all the way down the river route back to van gaalens. or to holybrooke if you stop early.

https://www.strava.com/routes/21036931

https://www.strava.com/routes/21036768

https://www.strava.com/routes/21036786

amazing feedback

thanks for taking effort

will definetly try what you have suggested

amazing feedback

thanks for taking effort

A pleasure, it's my spiritual home :D :D :D

I forgot to say leave your hardtail at home. These trails are all designed around a full sus bike.

Thanks a lot for all the input guys, sounds like I need to do some exploring and preferably not alone if I want to get some good mileage in there!

Will check it out though.

Part of the fun....just take a bearing from the Magalies mountains!

It's just such bull.... that they know about the issues and don't do anything.

I agree about the fun part if you know the area, but it puts a lot of new riders off.

What type of trail can one expect when going to Van Gaalens? The trail is a bit of a mystery to me. I've heard about it, but couldn't find much on trailforks or elsewhere on the internet.

I've moved to Gauteng from Cape Town this year and really miss the Cape Townian trails (ie. Trails that aren't as flat as a pancake). The best trails I've ridden in JHB are Wolwespruit and Kingskloof (Because they have fun descents, rather than just a gradual 300m over a 40km route).

If I ride at Van Gaalens, can I expect fun/fast descents? Or is it more of a marathon type trail?

What type of trail can one expect when going to Van Gaalens? The trail is a bit of a mystery to me. I've heard about it, but couldn't find much on trailforks or elsewhere on the internet.

I've moved to Gauteng from Cape Town this year and really miss the Cape Townian trails (ie. Trails that aren't as flat as a pancake). The best trails I've ridden in JHB are Wolwespruit and Kingskloof (Because they have fun descents, rather than just a gradual 300m over a 40km route).

If I ride at Van Gaalens, can I expect fun/fast descents? Or is it more of a marathon type trail?

You must try Thaba in the South of JHB...

Van Gaalens is really one of the best free riding trails close to Gauteng. its in a beautiful area and its great for some solitude.

I would recommend following a gps route if you want to get the best out of it... it just gives you comfort that you not getting completely lost.

It has some really flowy sections (Gully and River), as well as some awesome descents (DaggaPad), and lung-busting climbs (Greek, Oom Piets and Concrete Strips). You can truly get a bit of everything in between 35 and 50km. Its a great workout.

I can send you some GPS routes if you'd like.

Hi Craig, I ride VG often it is in my backyard!  ;) I would be more than happy to give you a tour of what I think are the better parts of it. Some good climbing and technical parts. Not sure what you looking for on descents but there are a few nice parts.

PM me if your interested and will ever be out this way and I will try show you around.

amazing feedback

thanks for taking effort

100Tours feedback is great but please take care if you have downloaded the strava maps as a route to follow. Some of the maps have changed. Greek church for one is now a completely different route but Greek church is pretty well sign posted if that is a route you do decide to follow.