Van Gaalens Mountain biking and running trails

L.T.G

looking to go back to capture the magic of cliffhanger...BTW, I walk that second climb to the summit. The rest is tricky, but with some momentum everything there is ridable.

There has been a couple fo rocks where if you are off line, catches you out.

But like i said, by far my favorite piece of trail at VG.

Edit:

From that video posted, the trails are a fair bit rougher at the moment.

Edited by RocknRolla

• Replies 971
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What's the entry price per person and where do you pay it?

I think it's R40 or R50 per person.

Park at the cheese farm parkinglot. There normally is a guard there from early. Else park, ride and pay when you come back, we have been there very early to try miss the heat, and then we pay when we return.

Park at the cheese farm parkinglot. There normally is a guard there from early. Else park, ride and pay when you come back, we have been there very early to try miss the heat, and then we pay when we return.

Thanks. Seems this has become a "must do" on my list!

you can also pay at the bike shop, 

Just a question...Does the part along the disused railway line on the South side of the R560/R512 belong to Eric Scheepers?  Was accosted by him last month on the way back from a Breedts Nek ride while riding along said railway line.  He demanded payment for riding along this railway track.  He said without paying the R50 we must get onto the tar.  SA railways say it's still owned by them and no-one can charge for riding there.  Certainly if we must pay we'll pay but would like clarity if anyone has some input.  PS.  Van Gaalen has fantastic trails and always pay at the shop to ride there. Thanks

So off I went to VG on Saturday for something a little different.

by myself I thought it would be a good idea to ride _every_ trail on the south side (concrete strips side) of the tar road...

http://www.strava.com/activities/476313605

the plan was to go up the strips, around the block, back up the concrete, different route down. i'd gather it would be about 4x up and over with the various routes. Needless to say, i only did 2 trips up the concrete, 3rd time up the hill, i went up at the little dam, instead of going all the way round.

NB: Don't follow the route i did... you'll end up going around in circles... :D

I've screen grabbed the map and made some notes on what is where. the little "X" marks are technical in some way or other. Pofadder is a seriously steep hike-a-bike climb but the views from the top are awesome! the descent off the hill is very technical!

There are switchbacks going up Pofadder, which i tried to find, but it's quite overgrown.

The 3km descent took 18mins...

The other "X" sections have red arrows on them on the trails, mostly because there are some quite rocky technical sections

The little red line with hiking trail marked is blocked off with rocks, i went up there week before last, image below is where it ended, wasn't going to try get the bike up there.

All in all it was quite an awesome day out, hard... but awesome, nice to just explore the trails you always ride.

I think the first 40km's ended with 1100m climbing before i headed off to the river route to finish.

The area seriously needs some more rain, it's a sad sight seeing the rivers so dry. :( 

Map

post-30949-0-93632300-1453710009_thumb.jpg

Hiking trail end

post-30949-0-40774000-1453710037_thumb.jpg

Looking towards VG

post-30949-0-41350900-1453710101_thumb.jpg

Looking towards JHB

post-30949-0-98250100-1453710131_thumb.jpg

The rocks are sharp, so don't fall... 

post-30949-0-03713400-1453710144_thumb.jpg

Looking at Pofadder and Daggapad climb from the opposite hill

post-30949-0-96885800-1453710182_thumb.jpg

post-30949-0-33245500-1453710234_thumb.jpg

Edited by typhoon

by myself I thought it would be a good idea to ride _every_ trail on the south side (concrete strips side) of the tar road...

the plan was to go up the strips, around the block, back up the concrete, different route down. i'd gather it would be about 4x up and over with the various routes. Needless to say, i only did 2 trips up the concrete, 3rd time up the hill, i went up at the little dam, instead of going all the way round.

I've screen grabbed the map and made some notes on what is where. the little "X" marks are technical in some way or other. Pofadder is a seriously steep hike-a-bike climb but the views from the top are awesome! the descent off the hill is very technical!

There are switchbacks going up Pofadder, which i tried to find, but it's quite overgrown.

The other "X" sections have red arrows on them on the trails, mostly because there are some quite rocky technical sections

The little red line with hiking trail marked is blocked off with rocks, i went up there week before last, image below is where it ended, wasn't going to try get the bike up there.

All in all it was quite an awesome day out, hard... but awesome, nice to just explore the trails you always ride.

I think the first 40km's ended with 1100m climbing before i headed off to the river route to finish.

The area seriously needs some more rain, it's a sad sight seeing the rivers so dry. :(

Map

attachicon.gifvg1.jpg

Hiking trail end

attachicon.gifhikingtrail.jpg

Looking towards VG

attachicon.giftowards vg.jpg

Looking towards JHB

attachicon.giftowards jhb 2.jpg

attachicon.giftrail.jpg

attachicon.gifpofadder 2.jpg

attachicon.gifpofadder.jpg

Thanks for the insights and pics! Looks awesome.

Map

attachicon.gifvg1.jpg

Hiking trail end

attachicon.gifhikingtrail.jpg

Looking towards VG

attachicon.giftowards vg.jpg

Looking towards JHB

attachicon.giftowards jhb 2.jpg

attachicon.giftrail.jpg

attachicon.gifpofadder 2.jpg

attachicon.gifpofadder.jpg

Very cool post, lekker route too.....well most of it ;) . Saw my arse nicely coming down from Daggapad on the other side

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

Can anyone help please with advice on a route that will give me between 80km-100km at VG without riding the same track twice?

I have not ridden at VG for 2 years but the last time I was there I still got pretty lost on some sections...are the routes marked better or was I just being blonde....:-|