Van Gaalens Mountain biking and running trails

L.T.G

Hi Guys,

Can anyone help please with advice on a route that will give me between 80km-100km at VG without riding the same track twice?

I have not ridden at VG for 2 years but the last time I was there I still got pretty lost on some sections...are the routes marked better or was I just being blonde....:-|

The easiest way to add extra distance to the usual 50-60km routes around VG is either to head out on the dirt road towards Hekpoort, do the loop that stays on the dirt road, from VG to Hekpoort is about 25km, so by doing the loop, it'll probably add 30-40km. Otherwise ride to VG from the Peaconwood Spar/Total garage parking, will add about 10km one way. Or ride to VG from Nikita (on the R512 about 3km before the Broedestroom T-Junction. From Nikita to VG is 25km one way.

Nikita to FunGaalens with Steve and Nix - 21/03/2015

That one was 83km, Nikita to Oom Piets and Greek Church.

Fun Gaalens and a bit to Hekpoort - 07/03/2015

This is all of VG and the loop towards Hekpoort. 82km

Nikita to FunGaalens with Nix, Mike, Claire and Janine - 26/04/2015

Nikita to VG, most of VG except Oom Piets, 101km.

We were doing the Nikita route quite a lot in the build up to Sani last year, it's an awesome route, you just need to remember that while you're bombing through the VG river route, thinking how awesome it is, pushing max watts... you still have 25km's to get back to the car... :D

• Replies 971
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The easiest way to add extra distance to the usual 50-60km routes around VG is either to head out on the dirt road towards Hekpoort, do the loop that stays on the dirt road, from VG to Hekpoort is about 25km, so by doing the loop, it'll probably add 30-40km. Otherwise ride to VG from the Peaconwood Spar/Total garage parking, will add about 10km one way. Or ride to VG from Nikita (on the R512 about 3km before the Broedestroom T-Junction. From Nikita to VG is 25km one way.

We were doing the Nikita route quite a lot in the build up to Sani last year, it's an awesome route, you just need to remember that while you're bombing through the VG river route, thinking how awesome it is, pushing max watts... you still have 25km's to get back to the car... :D

Thanks so much for all the advice, greatly appreciated. Is VG marked a little clearer now?

Would you say the route from Nikita to VG start area safe enough to do on your own?

Would you say the route from Nikita to VG start area safe enough to do on your own?

Yup, i do it all the time.

safer than riding anywhere in gauteng I reckon

:thumbup:

Yup, i do it all the time.

:thumbup:

safer than riding anywhere in gauteng I reckon

Thanks gents....thought as much. I ride VG plenty on my ace but never ridden to the start from Nikita. Looks lekker :thumbup:

Thanks gents....thought as much. I ride VG plenty on my ace but never ridden to the start from Nikita. Looks lekker :thumbup:

it really is a great route, the last couple times, i've gone from Nikita to African Swiss and up that climb, 2.2km and 160m...

Last Sundays ride, i went exploring, to see if I could get a route to VG without riding next to the road on the other side of the hill.

There is a bit of hike-a-bike, the odd gate opening :blush:  and you join at the top of the second hill after concrete strips.

https://www.strava.com/activities/493085320

From the top of African Swiss

post-30949-0-57523800-1455605360_thumb.jpeg

please bear in mind typhoon is no normal person.... ^_^

Anyone who decides looping the Concrete road a couple times during a ride, not just once as a means to get the fun stuff in on the other side.. a COUPLE times.. is not normal :P  

it really is a great route, the last couple times, i've gone from Nikita to African Swiss and up that climb, 2.2km and 160m...

Last Sundays ride, i went exploring, to see if I could get a route to VG without riding next to the road on the other side of the hill.

There is a bit of hike-a-bike, the odd gate opening :blush:  and you join at the top of the second hill after concrete strips.

https://www.strava.com/activities/493085320

From the top of African Swiss

attachicon.gifIMG_4780.JPG copy.jpeg

Nice, I like the exploring part to avoid the road side. Good pics....

If my memory is correct, part of your route is from that Redstone MTB event they used to have?

Anyone who decides looping the Concrete road a couple times during a ride, not just once as a means to get the fun stuff in on the other side.. a COUPLE times.. is not normal :P  

Agreed....seems like Typhoon enjoys a bit of suffering too :nuke:  :thumbup:

haha  :P

That was a mapping excursion... 

Nice, I like the exploring part to avoid the road side. Good pics....

If my memory is correct, part of your route is from that Redstone MTB event they used to have?

From Nikita there is two route, the one i posted earlier goes around the hill on dirt roads/jeep track. 

As you cross the tar road, instead of turning right to go around the hill, you go straight, towards the Ale House (try not be tempted to stop there on the way out... :D )

Sometimes the big black gate is open and you go through Redstone equestrian, otherwise just before the gate, there is some single track on the right that takes you next to the fence and around the equestrian farm.

Haven't been that way in ages, it's more fun going around. If you've had a big day and need a little bit of a shortcut back to Nikita, going through the equestrian farm knocks off about 5km.

https://www.strava.com/activities/254682296

That ride was from Nikita towards Breedtsnek, on the way there we went the single track route, the way back through the equestrian farm but the gate was closed, so we had to go around the way we originally went.

haha  :P

That was a mapping excursion... 

From Nikita there is two route, the one i posted earlier goes around the hill on dirt roads/jeep track. 

As you cross the tar road, instead of turning right to go around the hill, you go straight, towards the Ale House (try not be tempted to stop there on the way out... :D )

Sometimes the big black gate is open and you go through Redstone equestrian, otherwise just before the gate, there is some single track on the right that takes you next to the fence and around the equestrian farm.

Haven't been that way in ages, it's more fun going around. If you've had a big day and need a little bit of a shortcut back to Nikita, going through the equestrian farm knocks off about 5km.

https://www.strava.com/activities/254682296

That ride was from Nikita towards Breedtsnek, on the way there we went the single track route, the way back through the equestrian farm but the gate was closed, so we had to go around the way we originally went.

This looks like an awesome ride, done the VG to Breedts and back a couple of times for some decent mileage. This one I definitely want to do....and I get to skip dagga  pad etc :whistling:

Thanks for the links, gonna download onto my Garmin. Be nice to throw Greek Church into the mix on this one too......

This looks like an awesome ride, done the VG to Breedts and back a couple of times for some decent mileage. This one I definitely want to do....and I get to skip dagga  pad etc :whistling:

Thanks for the links, gonna download onto my Garmin. Be nice to throw Greek Church into the mix on this one too......

We were just going until my GF thought it'll be good time to turn around, which was about the 60km mark.

Been pondering the Nikita to the Nek for a long time...

its the 150km there and back thats been a little off putting... need to wait for the wind to be just right too  :whistling:

Works out to be:

Nikita to VG 25km

VG to Hekpoort 25km

Hekpoort to top of the Nek 25km

then 75km back to the car...

So it'll be quite a big day out and if you're feeling up to it, add in the church or Oom Piets for some elevation gains.

on a side note, Nikita to VG and back to Nikita is 50km and about 550m.

This is kinda why we started riding from Nikita, it's ALOT closer to home than Breedtsnek and gives you more or less the same distance and climbing (if you only go to the top of the Nek) and then you can add the VG trails for distance, technical stuff, climbing and fun.

We were just going until my GF thought it'll be good time to turn around, which was about the 60km mark.

Been pondering the Nikita to the Nek for a long time...

its the 150km there and back thats been a little off putting... need to wait for the wind to be just right too  :whistling:

Works out to be:

Nikita to VG 25km

VG to Hekpoort 25km

Hekpoort to top of the Nek 25km

then 75km back to the car...

So it'll be quite a big day out and if you're feeling up to it, add in the church or Oom Piets for some elevation gains.

on a side note, Nikita to VG and back to Nikita is 50km and about 550m.

This is kinda why we started riding from Nikita, it's ALOT closer to home than Breedtsnek and gives you more or less the same distance and climbing (if you only go to the top of the Nek) and then you can add the VG trails for distance, technical stuff, climbing and fun.

Is a bit daunting. Agree on the wind story and no way I would do it mid summer :eek:

I would also just go until its time to turn around, especially if I added Greek Church and/or Oom Piet. Think I'll try Nikita - VG - Hekpoort...turn around, Greek Church and back.

One day when I'm big, I'll do the 150km stretch an winter.

Again, very cool info....thanks.

park at alehouse. that way you have a great excuse for beer and pizza after the ride....

Last time we got to the black gate on the equestrian farm, and it was locked. We bypassed it by walking towards the little stream at the bottom and thus bypass the fence.

I am keen for a route that's not next to the pecanwood tar road, I will pack my hiking boots it seems...

Will check out typhoons strava thingy little later.