Van Gaalens Mountain biking and running trails

L.T.G

Did the Greek Church loop over the weekend & it was my first time at Van Gaalens. All I can say is AWESOME!!! It was a bit confusing the first time, but I did not get lost.

This place is a gem! Need to go ride there more often... :thumbup: The flowing single-track next to the river must be the best I have ever ridden!! :clap:

Did you get a distance for that route?

• Replies 971
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Did you get a distance for that route?

I did about 25km of riding, when I came back to the cheese farm I had to do another loop of the river section. So it might be in the region of 20-21 km's I think?

Over and above VG being super lekker to ride...its also gives me the top workout score in sporttracks if I do the concrete strips, daggapad, tant miems, oom piets and river home. If you add the greek church in as well, its a epic day in the saddle. Works everything...your climbing, descending, tech ability, speedwork but dont even think about riding it if you haven't gone tubeless

I ride all over the Magaliesberg area with tubes! Through veld, paths, rocks, water, anything!

Granted they are the thorn proof ones but I have never had any issues?

There are 3 sections that I won't even think about doing with tubes

Singletrack coming down from the concrete slabs leading to daggapad and oom piet's(the descent more specifically) and poffader also the descent. My partner is getting a new santa cruz tallboy soon so he had a loan bike(merida 99) on Saturday just passed. Two punctures on daggapad....both snakebites. Its not the thorns that will get you but the rocks at low psi. The previous day we did breedts up and over to the shop...no issues it's really not that technical, the trails mentioned above are very hard on your bike and equipment and nothing breaks your rythm like a puncture.

Its a double edge sword, you need to run low psi at those sections for good purchase otherwise you literally donner off the mountain if you going at speed, but you WILL get a snakebite...choice your poison

Ride it and see.

Edited by rouxtjie

Dont think Im quite ready for lung busting or steep stuff

Its not that bad seriously...ok maybe poffader...I have yet to see someone ride to the top!

But the other two climbs(concrete slabs and oom piets) are not that bad, they get a bit tricky because of the baby heads but other than that they are short. The downs are the heaviest ito damage if you are running tubes so just do a ghetto conversion on the cheap and you are sorted.

Dont think Im quite ready for lung busting or steep stuff

Don't be discouraged by the talk of the tough bits.. They're amazing but start off on the river and take it at your pace, adding in the tougher sections over time as you get and feel stronger.

Don't be discouraged by the talk of the tough bits.. They're amazing but start off on the river and take it at your pace, adding in the tougher sections over time as you get and feel stronger.

Exactly, they are not that tough on the lungs(except poffader of course) but rather your equipment, and also the best bits come after the climbs(the little indigenious forest by daggapad)...the river after oom piets or river after greek church.

You have to have you veggies before the pudding :clap:

Riding the full Van Galens route kinda feels like watching Lord of the Rings trilogy- only there is much fewer midgets running around.

heheheh yea, oom piets is defnitely mordor, I have broken frames and linkages there...

Did the Greek Church loop over the weekend & it was my first time at Van Gaalens. All I can say is AWESOME!!! It was a bit confusing the first time, but I did not get lost.

This place is a gem! Need to go ride there more often... :thumbup: The flowing single-track next to the river must be the best I have ever ridden!! :clap:

Glad to hear you enjoyed it!

If can ever make it out there later in the day (after 3pm) riding the river (both sides) and the surrounding Singletrack is something special. The way the sun filters in through the trees ... It's quite something.

Some of the best riding I've done has been in the last 2 hours or so before sunset.

Exactly, they are not that tough on the lungs(except poffader of course) but rather your equipment, and also the best bits come after the climbs(the little indigenious forest by daggapad)...the river after oom piets or river after greek church.

You have to have you veggies before the pudding :clap:

Or even the river after the river.

Or the river before the river..

The river is just magical!

Or even the river after the river.

Or the river before the river..

The river is just magical!

hehehehhe just pudding then...no veggies :thumbup: