hey guys

the Event dates this year are:

*magalies mayhem trailrun 4-6 May

*nashua ladies 30th June

*Corporate challenge van gaalen 1July

*Crazy store trailrun 18th Aug

*Magalies Adventure 31aug-2 sep

*Nissan series van gaalen 20 oct

there are 2 other events but their dates havent been finalised and there is a posibility that some of the dates i put up can change aswell...

When we have events the trails arent completely closed off but only certain section will be open for casual riders

• Replies 971
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

the corporate events are organized by the leverage corporation where business teams ride together, a very social event. there are a few of these races over the year in different places and average on about 40- 45km's...the Magalies adventure is a 3 day stage race starting on a 25km night race 75 km day 2 and a 45 day 3...day 3 is also open for outside riders...in my opinion the toughest race we have and i would recommend it to any experienced rider you stay on the farm in tents and the most testing part of the race is cold weather but really great atmosphere and good riding

Had some good fun on Friday. Went over the concrete to daggapad and came back with the railroad to Oom Piet and then Greek Church. Was a fun, yet moderately tough trip, though only 700m of climbing.

The daggapad singletrack is still some of the best I've ridden.

What are the corporate challenge and Magalies adventure about?

Rich, make a plan a enter the Magalies Adventure Mini(on the Sunday) and the Nissan Series event there, you'll love it. And if you're for the dress up, The Ladies Day in June has an awesome vibe! I'll have my pink fairies there again this year.

Rich, make a plan a enter the Magalies Adventure Mini(on the Sunday) and the Nissan Series event there, you'll love it. And if you're for the dress up, The Ladies Day in June has an awesome vibe! I'll have my pink fairies there again this year.

Sounds good. Got a ways to go to get to 45k's, but lots of time.

How far is the ladies day ride?

ditto for Daggapad!!! and nice track through the trees and indigenous (?) forest afterwards if you take the river loop.

The Ladies race - guys had to come in drag if mamory serves me correctly.

But the events where you head west and up and over the ridge are the best, always a hectic technical downhill though, to keep you modest.

Sounds good. Got a ways to go to get to 45k's, but lots of time.

How far is the ladies day ride?

Ladies Day is a 40km but flat.

Entry fee is more then the regular entry ( goes to charity)

rules are:- you can't pass ladies in the route

:- you HAVE to dress in drag as kosmonooit mentioned.

rules are:- you can't pass ladies in the route

Eish! what if there's a lady in front of me going 4km / h? Or do I just start at the front and let them pass me till Im in the right place?

And now the real question, what days and times can we ride there? I'm on leave till the 23rd and I fancy a bit of an outing

And now the real question, what days and times can we ride there? I'm on leave till the 23rd and I fancy a bit of an outing

They're open every day except Tuesday.

Not sure about weekdays, but Saturday & Sunday there's someone around by 6, maybe 6:30 now that it's getting cooler.

Eish! what if there's a lady in front of me going 4km / h? Or do I just start at the front and let them pass me till Im in the right place?

Start at the back and just have chilled ride, helping any ladies who might need the assistance ☺

I went out there today and I have a few thoughts to share, but first I'll tell you what happened.

I headed across the grass and across the river, I had seen on the map that I was to go right for Greek Church, but at the top I saw 2 signs, one said Greek Church and the other a directional arrow pointing left. I was confused from the start but thought that it was perhaps just because the map was not precise to well scaled.

If you're a novice DO NOT go left. It was really cool single track, but really hectic if you are not up to it and my skill levels increased 200% in the 10 km on that side; out of necessity, survive it or crash nasty.

I got all kinds of lost that side and eventually made my way back to the river crossing and the Greek Church sign and went the way I should have the first time. My experience this side was quite the opposite, it was fast, flowing but still enough to keep you awake, it was great. I took the novice section going out, which was fun and the other option coming back which was beyond my skill level but I just walked the hectic bits and enjoyed the challenges.

Part 2

My thoughts are that Van Gaalens has some superb riding to be had in excellent surroundings. My outing was a little mixed, but I will go back to learn some more.

The biggest issue is in fact marking. It is confusing and for a novice even dangerous.

There are boards from 2 different events hosted there, there are white boards with green arrows, white boards with green arrow outlines, yellow boards with black arrows and white arrows painted on rocks. It is really bad, especially considering there is no explanation of what is what.

I did some thinking and I think just a few easy changes can make the place better. Remove event specific boards after the events, keep existing boards in good shape and correctly placed, abandon the rock idea somebody obviously thinks its funny to change their directions, add just a few more boards at specific places - I'm sure we can get a sponsor for boards. As far as farmers not wanting boards, I can give them plenty reasons why boards are to their benefit (but that's for another day).

So I really hope that what is already a nice place with huge potential can become simply awesome. I'm even happy to help putting up signage etc

It takes me at least 40 mins to drive there so it's not exactly close and getting lost within 10 mins of being there is really off putting.

Van Gaalens is a great place! It can be even greater with proper signage. My 1st ride there was also a bit confusing, but once you are on the right trail it's pure awesomeness!

I would suggest they take a look at Groenkloof's signage, if they can follow that principle this would propably be on the best trails in SA. Also maybe update the map with landmarks of some sort incase one gets lost, and also colour code the different trails maybe?