Carnival City Macsteel National Classic 2011

Shanster-SA

Also many thanks to the bunch of guys allowing me to tow behind on my MTB with knobblies. Our bunch maintained a good pace up to 75km where they fell off the pace.

Thanks for helping me do an unofficial (no chip) 3:04.

Ingo

PS. The guy (and I know your number) that took a drink from his waterbottle and then, right before my eyes flung it into the bushes - you're an #$$!!

PPS. And the really funny guy giving me stick about my knobblies as I passed him - I liked your attitude :thumbup:

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I did the 103 km, riding with CL. I think it was a well organized and enjoyable event.

I have one suggestion for organizers in general if I may:

Please always print an emergency telephone number on the cyclists' race numbers. I noticed that the Dischem R4S and Emperors races, among others did have an event emergency number clearly printed.

I rode with a small random bunch some minutes behind the leading CL bunch. A crash involving three cyclists occurred right in front of me at speed. I decided to stop and see if I could help. We were in the middle of nowhere (a couple of km's before the 65/103 split on the 103 km loop). The injured were in pain, and didn't look okay to me. (I hope and pray they are up and about). I had my phone with me but no number to call! Calling 112 was a bit in vain, but was all I could try to do.

Fellow cyclists simple whizzed passed, dodging the broken bikes and laying people.

Luckily after a couple of minutes the leading DL group arrived with their marshal and a police van. The police jumped out and assisted.

The emergency number wouldn't have made a real difference in this case, but something similar could happen somewhere more isolated. At least the comforting effect of a number to call for injured and helpers, makes it worth the print.

Comments noted - both positive and opportunities for improvement

our de-brief meeting will take place soon and all comments will be submitted

Frosty & team, excellent job !!!!

I know there was a crash just before the finish when we came in. Everybody wanting to get to the front & some guys were finished.

Potholes, turns, etc were all well marked.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Frosty & team, excellent job !!!!

I know there was a crash just before the finish when we came in. Everybody wanting to get to the front & some guys were finished.

Potholes, turns, etc were all well marked.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

And as was seriously looking for your wheel - but I must have lost it :D

Oh, yeah, I'm sure I saw that pantani, bling king fella. Doesn't he ride anymore? Looked a bit plumpish... Also, is that still Michelle with him taking photo's? What's with the dark hair?

plofstof, that is Rika Joubert Linc's new sidekick photographer and not Michelle

plofstof, that is Rika Joubert Linc's new sidekick photographer and not Michelle

Ah. right. But Lincoln has picked up some weight, right?

Anyone had any issues where your results were not posted on championchip.co.za although you were riding with your chip , and this is not a new chip has been purchased and used at a few events before ?

And so the CAT3 bunch this time caught the A bunch :lol:

How did Cat 3 catch the A Bunch if thei time is 2min slower? <_< They probably caught the A bunch riders who had mechanicals. ;)

I just wanted to thank the organisers, marshalls and especially Captain Slow and the other helivac marshall that were with Cat3. You guys did an awesome job in controling the race, the traffic and also ensuring that no slower riders jumped into our bunch as we passed them.

The "A bunch" that we caught were a group of about 20 that had been dropped by the main A bunch.

Well done to all.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

And so the CAT3 bunch this time caught the A bunch :lol:

Thanks for a very well organized race. Eish that uphill drag back to the finish line from where we joined the short route, got the better of me today BUT still managed to do beat my previous PB by 18 minutes :clap:

How do you work that out?

I rode A - finished in 2:30, I see Cat 3 finshed in 2:32... They started 10 mins behind us? Not sure how you get to your answer, but I can assure you they didnt. Maybe the backmarkers yes, but likewise we caught some Cat 2's......

But lets not allow facts to get in the way of a good story (rumour)

Cat3 never caught the AL bunch, it was the leftovers of those dropped due to the high pace.

AL (60-odd) finished in 2:30 and Cat3 (45) in 2:32.

However, we didn't want a repeat of 2 weeks ago, which is why AL started before C3.

Yes starting the a bunch in front of the C3 bunch worked perfectly :thumbup: I rode in the A bunch and the pace was fast, Jay and the boys left all the manners at home :)

The c3 caught some of the back markers from A,( I was one of them) at round +- 30 km to go, funny thing that their were c3 riders in the A bunch before we were caught :blink: :unsure:

I just wanted to thank the organisers, marshalls and especially Captain Slow and the other helivac marshall that were with Cat3. You guys did an awesome job in controling the race, the traffic and also ensuring that no slower riders jumped into our bunch as we passed them.

The "A bunch" that we caught were a group of about 20 that had been dropped by the main A bunch.

Well done to all.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

ja, as always - very well organised!! Big thanks

well done to the organisers. will definitely be back. and carnival is a special one to me, first 100km race i broke the 4hr mark.

94.7 4:40

the fast one 4:19

carnival 3:39 :clap: :clap:

just some advice to the novice riders that start of in the later bunches (like myself, was in the GL bunch). its much more enjoyable to ride in a group or bunch. try it. I did so yesterday, and thats how my time improved. found some other riders that were at the same pace and enjoyed a good pace until the end. but remember you have do some work at the front of the bunch too!

is there a thread that would teach some of the novice riders on the hub the rules around riding in a bunch??? or can someone elaborate on this.

if i had rode the race alone, i would have suffered.

but again, well done to the organisers.

How do you work that out?

I rode A - finished in 2:30, I see Cat 3 finshed in 2:32... They started 10 mins behind us? Not sure how you get to your answer, but I can assure you they didnt. Maybe the backmarkers yes, but likewise we caught some Cat 2's......

But lets not allow facts to get in the way of a good story (rumour)

Trubie, I know that you always ride a good hard race and I thaught I would sit on your wheel just to keep up, I never did the race before, so when you passed me I stuck like super glue, before the one left turn I fell a bit behind, but not to worry I will sprint in after the turn, Hahahahah I did not know it was down hill, The bunch droped me quick. I was all alone with 40Km to go, But you gus rode a good race :thumbup:

is there a thread that would teach some of the novice riders on the hub the rules around riding in a bunch??? or can someone elaborate on this.

I am sure there is however it all comes down to general riding etiquette :) practise makes perfect - welcome to the world of cycling - I too am a novice and enjoy the groups :)