Buying S.A colours

Renay

I race XC mountain bikes very competitively, and was chosen to represent S.A. at world champs in Fort William earlier this year. In mountain biking we have to pay for ourselves to go to Worlds, and me being a student I couldn't afford it.

I found out the other day to my horror that I would not get my S.A colours because I did nor race worlds! To me that dos not seem right. That is like putting a R25 000 price tag on getting your S.A colours! What is even more annoying is that other riders which i frequently beat, but were chosen for the team, can get their colours just because they went! How fair is that? Especially after training so hard this year, and putting all my focus on building up for worlds, and then not being able to afford it, that really broke me.

Cycling should not be a sport which segregates the haves and the have-nots. How good is that for development? Especially when one of their top riders cannot earn their colours just because they can't afford to "buy" them.

Any comments?

I'm pretty ignorant on MTB issues. Is there not a SA Champs event? If so and you rode in that and achieved results I guess that should qualify you??

Really sorry to hear that Renay.That really SUCKS.Sorry windbreaker you can be SA champ and not get SA colours.I think the rule is you have to have represented your country to get SA colours so Renay is right,you buy your SA coloursAngry

sucks renay. i read rika's story in the ride, and she had a ball! pity you missed out.

i'm not making you feel better, am i? sorry ...Embarrassed  

I rode S.A champs and came second, only to the famous Burry Stander in U23, was only beaten by him, Mark Basingthwaight, and Kevin Evans in Pro-Elite. Its a crying shame

But why must we rely on the useless govermunt to sponsor us ? Why the hell got we got all this cycling bodies around ?

But why must we rely on the useless govermunt to sponsor us ? Why the hell got we got all this cycling bodies around ?

And when the cycling body tries to get its finiances in order by asking every cyclist to  join up and pay an annual fee (licence) just listen to all the " What do they do for ME? "  shouts on this board.

You are right and I am one of those ! When we ask what they will be doing with our money and all the other money they will be generating then they sit with a mouth full of teeth ! Have they ever mentioned that they will sponsor or even help our "national" MTB team when they go and race ?

so then here's a idea..why not get a public funding system to help riders with the cost of going to worlds...similar to what they use in germany and other european countries..And a small amount of each entry of races going towards that...I can tell you the juniors was just as disappointed with also not going to worlds..It could have been they're GOLDEN oppurtunity...

They have never generated the sort of funds needed yet.  It does cost money to collect and administer funds, and administer the sport.   2008 will be the first year that a universal  licencing system will be in place , and hopefully they can start to do things with the money.

I have to disagree . PPA and the former GPPA has got more than enough funds . But be as it may they still have not made any commitments despite the fact that they will be getting the "much needed" funds next year . But lets hope for the best .

kzn did a similiar thing to this i think last year or the year before to assit kzn riders who had been selected for the sa team to get to worlds

DR, I agree!!  MiP, what's happened to the Lotto money?!?!  I'll tell you, the guys fly around and piss around.  Is mos lekker!!!  So don't hold your breath for any changes, except maybe a lic.