Tokai Maintenance and Building

EvilRabbit

• Replies 796
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Omega Man

Hit that bottom table slowly yesterday. Nice. The run in to it needs a bit of loving tho.

Aparently cross country guys have been riding up the entrance to DH1. Please guys. If you are one of those people Please Please Please refrain from doing so. That's a seriously dangerous situation cos dh guys are hitting the roadgap again and you do not want to be on the recieving end when someone lands that roadgap and you are on the landing.

Yeah unfortunately that still happens, and these guys all have an attitude, I had one shout at me cause he stopped for me to go past and I didnt say Thank You, so I said F *(&*^%$^ U!!! but yeah this is really dangerous

Just about as bad as the downhillers pushing their tanks up the singletrack and not getting out of the way for riders coming down

Guest Omega Man

Just about as bad as the downhillers pushing their tanks up the singletrack and not getting out of the way for riders coming down

Ja. that is bad. But let's not turn this into a my d!ck is bigger than yours thing. And if that does happen get their names and message me.(hope it wasnt me gulp) Cos that's p1ss poor to ruin someone's fun.

Edited by Omega Man

Guest Omega Man

Back to the subject of maintenance.

There will be another maintenance day this coming Saturday. Weather permitting. We are hoping to get a whole bunch of laterite to the trailheads using a bakkie and will be wheelbarrowing it in from there.

@mtbsurfer. We're working on the snake trails this weekend dude so come lend a hand. You did say you would help build if there was a maintenance day on the xc trails. It's Monday so you've had plenty of notice.

Also if Sanparks doesn't clear the fallen tree on My Roots i've volunteered my chainsaw for the job. I'll probably spend several decades doing it but hey. It has to be done.

Edited by Omega Man

Does the tree have to be cut. O, I know which one it is too, cant some dirt be stacked up in front of it, will make a cool jump

Guest Omega Man

Does the tree have to be cut. O, I know which one it is too, cant some dirt be stacked up in front of it, will make a cool jump

Nah. it's on quite a tight and flat bit of trail so building a jump isn't really workable. I suppose we could stack dirt and make a roller but that's not really in keeping with the track.

Hi everyone. First time I am visiting the hub. This topic caught my eye.

I am a keen downhiller and xc rider. I have been visiting Tokai quite frequently during the past few

weeks and would like to find out whether it would be possible to upgrade the tracks. I have heard that there are strict rules

with regards to building when ever you like therefore I would like to join the next build day.

In the mean time, I would just like to know whether it would be possible or allowed to build a few new and exciting burms and jumps on various tracks that downhillers and xc riders could all enjoy.

On another note: I was enjoying myself thoroughly racing down the downhill course on Saturday and almost hit two xc riders coming up. They weren't rude or anything, neither was I, but we should all definately make an effort to make everyone aware that pushing or riding up the tracks is extremely dangerous.

Thanks

Edited by iangreyvensteyn

To be honest, first prize is not to have guys pushing up on the track at all. Have plans to build in a hiking path for the downhill.

Shoes are about as bad as horse hooves, they dig in to the ground and rain pools in the foot prints. Damage starts with the most mundane, obscure things.

Hiking up a recently repaired section is just heartbreaking. All that effort.

Edited by Pain or Shine

Hi everyone. First time I am visiting the hub. This topic caught my eye.

I am a keen downhiller and xc rider. I have been visiting Tokai quite frequently during the past few

weeks and would like to find out whether it would be possible to upgrade the tracks. I have heard that there are strict rules

with regards to building when ever you like therefore I would like to join the next build day.

In the mean time, I would just like to know whether it would be possible or allowed to build a few new and exciting burms and jumps on various tracks that downhillers and xc riders could all enjoy.

On another note: I was enjoying myself thoroughly racing down the downhill course on Saturday and almost hit two xc riders coming up. They weren't rude or anything, neither was I, but we should all definately make an effort to make everyone aware that pushing or riding up the tracks is extremely dangerous.

Thanks

Welcome..

You are welcome to join in the build days. You are correct in regard building on the trails, it belongs to someone, so all work is permission based.

At the moment we are working through the trails carrying out repairs and building a few features to add to the experience. I'd you have ideas, input welcome. If we have consensus on the day, in it goes.

This week is is about planning flow on the snake trails. Say hi if you see us plodding around, hopefully this time not in the rain... Damn, halfway down the trail, the heavens opened. Meeting continued in the bar!!

Guest Omega Man

I have heard that there are strict rules

Hey man. Yes you are right. You cannot pull in and build where and when you like. Firstly it is private property and secondly there's a safety issue. If you build a fat gap on a trail and don't tell anyone about it chances are someone is going to hurt themselves cos they've ridden the trail 100 times before and know what is coming. Well at least they thought they knew what was coming. Haha.

There are maintenance days for volunteers tho so if you'd like to get involved please do. There's a maintenance day planned for this Saturday. It looks like it might rain in which case we'll make a call on it.

Deon's (pain of shine) efforts have strengthened our position with Sanparks so expect to see movement in the near future in terms of more volunteer build days as well as paid labour build days.

Guest Omega Man

@ everyone that rides Tokai.

There are a few simple things that you can do whilst riding on the mountain that will aid in the longevity of the trails. By doing these simple little things you are helping the trails.

1. The biggest rule. Try to not lock your brakes. Skidding is for 5 year olds. It's bad for the trails and it shows a lack of skill.

2. Ride only legal trails. Illegal trails aren't built with sustainability in mind and often cause huge erosion issues. Also effort is then put into closing them down rather than that effort going into maintenance on the legal trails.

3. Try not ride through puddles. Riding through puddles makes them deeper and that causes holes which ruins the flow of the trail.

4. Don't ride up the downhills. Those trails are built to be ridden in one direction. Down. Riding up them ruins the jumps that people have spent hours and hours building.