Tokai Maintenance and Building

EvilRabbit

I've been trying to work out a way of getting over fences on the trails I've been putting in. I decided to make a feature of the crossing, and as the trails are on a working farm, they must be stock proof, this is also a reason that gates are out of the question, they have been left open in the past. I came up with this idea, note that this is still a rough build, and that decent lumber will be put in as soon as a sponsor is found. Do you think that people would be happy crossing this;

post-2975-0-78823100-1309351475.jpg

edit mostly raw wattle, the cross-members are split.

YEAH!! Awesome bridge. I'd be more than happy to cross that. No problems. Great idea and the more wattle you can destroy the better.

• Replies 796
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been trying to work out a way of getting over fences on the trails I've been putting in. I decided to make a feature of the crossing, and as the trails are on a working farm, they must be stock proof, this is also a reason that gates are out of the question, they have been left open in the past. I came up with this idea, note that this is still a rough build, and that decent lumber will be put in as soon as a sponsor is found. Do you think that people would be happy crossing this;

Hi,

Check out Oak Valley's stiles which are really cool. http://www.oakvalley.co.za/gallery/16/mtb-trail

They do have a bit of cash! I don;t know how many guys mtb in Stutterheim but a number of my mates have hit these for the first time without enough speed and fallen on them. You don;t want a beginner to fall off and hurt themselves. A bit of chicken wire up the face helps a lot.

Good luck!

Edited by Thor Buttox

Awesome!

Just on twitter and AMArider (Meurant &co) sure to help out with any issues. Also, can maybe get some ideas/inspiration from IMBA canada trail care group http://www.imbacanada.com/tcc. The biggest problem with getting a group together to maintain trail is to have clear instructions and teaching the correct way to take care of the trail-it's not all obvious.

By the way, i took a rider out to Tokai yesterday and it was great to see the work done on Faery garden and other trails. Good job!

Awesome, iRide... And yeah, sometimes the best solution is not all that obvious to the ignorant (ignorant of trail building lore, that is)

And thanks - a lot of Pain went into those changes...

DeanBean, that bridge looks good. I'd fill in the gaps more. I've seen begginners try ride these bridges and then have to get off and their foot goes through a gap. Scraped shins and broken legs possible!

DeanBean, that bridge looks good. I'd fill in the gaps more. I've seen begginners try ride these bridges and then have to get off and their foot goes through a gap. Scraped shins and broken legs possible!

He said he has to take into consideration that livestock are around. The slats need to have gaps so they can't try and cross the bridges. Beginners need to learn the hard way about momentum and commitment. Life's not always fair.

He said he has to take into consideration that livestock are around. The slats need to have gaps so they can't try and cross the bridges. Beginners need to learn the hard way about momentum and commitment. Life's not always fair.

If there are gaps +-100mm left on the bridges to prevent livestock from crossing then maybe chicken mesh (2 or three layers) can be pulled tight over the gap or the entire bridge. This also helps for grip when the trails get more muddy or the wood gets a build up of moss/algae.

I'd rather wrap the struts themselves with chickenwire if you're worried about traction.

The blanket application of the chickenwire creates an uninterrupted surface for the livestock to walk on. I know cows etc are heavy as feck, but chickenwire is very strong when exteded over 100mm gaps...

That bridge is easy to cross. If you're going so slowly over it that you need to dab your foot you can easily do that on this too. Chickenwire defeats the simplicity of this kind of structure. Rather, if you feel you can't make it, walk your bike over it. This bridge just needs a little bit of speed, not too much, be in a nice low gear, pedal as you cross, keep your eye on the exit poitn ie don't look down, and commit. easy

That bridge is easy to cross. If you're going so slowly over it that you need to dab your foot you can easily do that on this too. Chickenwire defeats the simplicity of this kind of structure. Rather, if you feel you can't make it, walk your bike over it. This bridge just needs a little bit of speed, not too much, be in a nice low gear, pedal as you cross, keep your eye on the exit poitn ie don't look down, and commit. easy

Exactly right, grb...

I was just trying to say that IF they were worried about traction, rather wrap the individual poles as opposed to putting a chickenwire blanket over the thing.

It should be a piece of piss to negotiate, even in its naked form after a cape summer/winter/spring bef0k of a climate change thing with slime all over it.

Momentum, momentum, momentum.

Exactly right, grb...

I was just trying to say that IF they were worried about traction, rather wrap the individual poles as opposed to putting a chickenwire blanket over the thing.

It should be a piece of piss to negotiate, even in its naked form after a cape summer/winter/spring bef0k of a climate change thing with slime all over it.

Momentum, momentum, momentum.

That's the key here. With momentum there's no need to have the back wheel grip the bridge to drive the bike forward. With the right speed it should be easy to roll over this. It does depend on the lead up to the bridge though and if one can get that speed up.

That's the key here. With momentum there's no need to have the back wheel grip the bridge to drive the bike forward. With the right speed it should be easy to roll over this. It does depend on the lead up to the bridge though and if one can get that speed up.

bada bada bing!

edd zachary.

Haha... just came back from Tokai now. All was fine until I tried the last log jump on the flat section of Vasbyt. I land, and 10 metres later I feel a bit spongy on the back. Look down, and the rear is 1/2 of what it should be. Fk. SO I stop, pump it up again, and then carry on. Was just about to tackle the 2nd log jump on the switchback section, and I come around the corner feeling all loose. Look down, and again. 1/2 of what it should be. Damn. SO I had a flat at the back.

So instead of carrying on down vasbyt, I shortcut it down the old DH trail so I can intersect the road. I'm going slow (very slow) cos I can feel the rim hitting all the little ruts. I get to a dropoff and roll over it. The front goes over, and I hear PTSHHH! and next thing I know I'm on my face in the sand. Because I was going so slowly, the front just locked in place at the bottom of the dropoff and stuck there. Just had to laugh!

you guys are heroes (those that build and maintain) and i want to be involved

i have 1 question: i'm more of a freeride biker than a dh biker and although i have ridden a number of the dh sections i usually stick to the usual singletracks making full use of any jumps or drop offs there are. i want to know if the work party gets split up and some build new sections and some maintain singltracks? or does everyone help on 1 section?

as a non dh rider i would be more than happy to maintain the tracks i ride on, but if it's 1 work party and 1 section at a time i can do that too

So instead of carrying on down vasbyt, I shortcut it down the old DH trail so I can intersect the road. I'm going slow (very slow) cos I can feel the rim hitting all the little ruts. I get to a dropoff and roll over it. The front goes over, and I hear PTSHHH! and next thing I know I'm on my face in the sand. Because I was going so slowly, the front just locked in place at the bottom of the dropoff and stuck there. Just had to laugh!

Speed is your friend...well at least in the mtbike world...

you guys are heroes (those that build and maintain) and i want to be involved

i have 1 question: i'm more of a freeride biker than a dh biker and although i have ridden a number of the dh sections i usually stick to the usual singletracks making full use of any jumps or drop offs there are. i want to know if the work party gets split up and some build new sections and some maintain singltracks? or does everyone help on 1 section?

as a non dh rider i would be more than happy to maintain the tracks i ride on, but if it's 1 work party and 1 section at a time i can do that too

Fatpixi, Sunday 830 at the Tokai gate. Will be building all the features you describe on the new section that peels off the existing DH track. It is designated DH/AM which actually is in the FR realm.

If you are keen, please confirm and we will count you in on the shuttle up.