Tokai Maintenance and Building

EvilRabbit

i wanna try to eco-tourist angle. dunno if that's been beaten to death, but given its close proximity to town central, and the tourists themselves, it might work.

As i see it, that section of the hill is the best place for some tracks. The rest are well grown over, and entry into town is abit limited as residential areas border the bottom slopes, except on that section, as the tar roads up to the military camp and jeep tracks afford great access off and up the hill.

Also, many of the 'plateau's on the hill are past dumping sites. Dunno if that can be wangled into the argument saying great use is being put to those landfill sections (all sorts of **** in their, tar, metal, brickwork... seems they've been dumping on Signal Hill for a long time before the soil covered it sufficiently for some stuff to grow. Greenies might however beg to differ, as they always do. Lotsa pros and cons all round. i guess it's finding that middle road).

also, the TBLMNT MTB group managed to get agreement from Sanparks to build interlinking single track between the existing jeep tracks on table mountain. great stuff for the XCer.

Having a DH/FR/AM track on SH would keep the two groups separate yet have both well serviced.

imagine a televised downhill event on Signal Hill. panoramic shots for africa. literally ;)

Edited by Capricorn

• Replies 796
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

last i heard, we are allowed riding on the lower slopes at SH. Don't recall who said it, but they were chilled about the trails, not too fussed as long as it was not hike path.. Parks get uptight about those. This could be a question for the ward councillor? Present an idea and get permission.

Where have they been burning? Higher up?

Damn, can you imagine??!!

oh, that's what reload does, it posts the last form again.. Sry bout that.

i rode in Barcelona with a similar layout above the citi. Really good FR, I can se it working. Some more details on the xc track?

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys when is the next build day up tokai? Usual suspects apply here

Confirmed this morning; Sunday 24th July.. will post a thread to get the word out.

setting up a build day for saturday.. 1 to 4pm. You in Jimmy?

Been pretty slack on the forum, even worse as I started it! Been overloaded with a house move and work, but will be staying down the road in Steenberg for a few months so will be available for some building. Sat sounds great. Let get muddy...

Its my daughters birthday on sunday so i have a kids party to organise. But thats not a no. Better check with the wife.

Took a spin down the new track yesterday. Awesome. The two berms after the tabletop are so fast. Was laughing all the way down. Thanks everyone who used a spade . Well worth it.

Yeah, they are, mate! Took a spin down there myself as well, and almost saw my pip twice. First on the little drop-off after those 2 berms (didn't lift the front and went front wheel first into the dirt, endo-ing all the way down the landing) and then on the little booster onto the "new" section of the divert. Wasn't going fast enough, and I didn't boost it. Front went straight down into the soft, soft earth. Once again, endo'd for a good 2 metres.

Figured I'd better leave it at that.

Moral of the story - don't try the new DH track that you've never ridden before after a 2 1/2 hour XC suffer-fest. You will lose!

• 2 weeks later...