CWC dissapoints!

nox1111

Unfortunately I am not the happiest CWC client; but due to getting a mondo burn here - I will adjust to make amends...

My lady friend went there willing to spend quite a bit of hard earned cash on a brand new bike last week and they happily sold her the bike.

She bought the Scott Spark 60 in lime green/white/black - with a couple of accessories for R15k. A good price considering the shop did a tubeless conversion pre-sale and she got a helmet, pedals and shoes all inclusive in this price.

She went in the morning paid for the bike and arranged to collect it the afternoon when all is sorted as you would with a new bike.

She collected the bike, girl by herself putting all her trust in what I thought was a decent LBS. She got home, kitted up and took off to Jonkershoek for a ride. being new to mountain biking, she assumed everything was in order with the bike and had a fairly pleasant ride.

I went over the next day and immediately realized the bike was not set up properly.

Here is my concern - other than the tubeless conversion, they did not have a mechanic anywhere near that bike.

- The rear suspension was set up for an 80-90kg rider - she is small - so no suspension movement on the rear triangle, very little on the front. I am around the 76kg mark and with me on the bike the suspension barely sagged, and this is not due to magic Scott suspension design, this is because the shock was over inflated even for me.

- The fork preload was wound all the way to positive/hard.

- the top link between the shock and frame was not bolted on - the allen bolts supposed to be torqued to 5hm - was not tightened in any way - the one was 5 full turns out - as in turning with your hand, no tools needed - meaning one more ride and 'good bye bolt'.

- The tubeless setup was decent but once again - inflated to over 3 bar. I know you inflate the tyres hard to get the tubeless setup to set - bet then either deflate pre hand over - or instruct as to what pressures would be good for someone of the buyer's weight

- I did a once over the bike with my multi-tool and found quite a few bolts that was not even remotely tightened as they should be - I don't believe in over tightening and even with a micro-multi tool you could tighten these without any strain.

- The center lock on the front rotor was loose

PSS's should be the norm with all new bikes.

a PRE SALE SERVICE - it takes a couple of minutes, and saves the new bike owner countless headaches!

I should have phoned the shop before posting this, but the circumstances in this case also meant that the bike is no longer within service distance.

I am not saying the shop is useless or slips up a lot, this might be 1 in 100, unfortunately it leaves you with an unpleasant taste in your mouth.

Edited by nox1111

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, before you went on your rant here, did you bother to contact Chris himself(or even phoned the shop) to inform him of this poor/shoddy service?

I'm sure if you did he would have made immediate work of it to resolve the situation.

Maybe you should contact them and not use a public forum for this.

I am not taking sides here, but always had good service from them and if they made a honest mistake I can promise you they will fix it

Ya well no fine.

I get the same sort of things from every bike shop. It no longer upsets me. They are not selling Ferrari's and the margins are low so the whole personalised service thing kinda falls by the wayside.

I must point out that you still got a good price - so no need to be too upset.

Not a good idea to rant online before speaking to Chris and giving him the opportunity to sort it out.

He would not be happy to hear about an unhappy client and would jump to apologise, sort it out and make amends. Its uncommon to hear about unhappy CWC clients.

Did you ask them to set the suspension up for her.Very few shops will do it unless you ask and most people just tune it themselves to get the right feel.

I will never go to Stellenbosch when I buy new bike, rather ride around the block until you are satisfied, if not, take it back... That is!

3 bar? I use my tubeless tires on the road at 3-4bar....maybe they just inflated it so she can adjust the setup herself....as for the shock, it loses pressure over time so they might have just pumped it, if its such a big deal deflate the rear shock a bit...as the rebound, everyone adjust rbound according to how they like it, some like fast rebound, some like slow...terrain also affects it.

As for the lose bolts...mechanics make mistakes, yes maybe everything wasnt torqued correctly but I always double check a bike when I get it back at home due to mistakes....also she will anyway have to take it back to adjust the gears etc due to the cables wearing in.....

I think you been a bit harsh now, attacking them first without phoning them....its like buing one crappy car out of the 100....you go to the dealer and sort it out you don't tell everyone before talking to the dealer first about how crappy the car was....

There is two sides to this:

1. Chris or Chris Jr sould have arranged for all of this to be done. Maybe they did request the work to be done but the Mech forgot/ran out of time - bad time management.

2. Gice CWC a change to fix their stuff-up! The measure of a man is not in the mistakes he makes but in the steps he takes to rectify them. Give them a call! Give them a opperunity to right the wrong - and yes there is wrong here!

3. Dont bad mouth someone before contacting them first - Im sure this wasn`t done on purpose but purely out of forgetfullness.

CWC does a lot for the local scene and by all the other good comments I take it they really take pride in what they do. My guess - this one just slipped by.

Let us know what CWC says - should be a clear indicator of how commited they are to cycling.

Just my 5c

I agree it would have helped to phone them - in this case though, she bought the bike Thursday, I only saw the bike on Saturday and she moved to PE Monday morning. She bought the bike to take along as she does not know a lot of people there she wanted to have a decent bike to ride at least - I don't see how they would be able to do anything about it.

JKP - it is a good price yes, but Kroff cycles could have done the same bike for R13k excl the pedals, helmet and tubeless.

I don't want to offer up good personalized service for good prices - given this could have been a 1 in a 100 case - but still, what would they do if that little link bolt fell away and she crashed coming down Canary in Jonkers and got badly hurt - or the frame/bearings/shock got damaged because of the bolts dropping out?

I am not saying it is the norm, I am saying it is an unpleasant experience.

No, no, no.... All it takes is a simple phone call the the Shop, ask to speak to Chris, tell him the problem and he will jump at the opportunity to apologise to your lady friend and sort the problem out..

Agreed with a lot of the above, rather speak to the person before ranting here, that is NOT necessary.

I will be back Chris, today in fact.... My son is looking for more chocolate from Melani :rolleyes:

Did you give CWC a chance to sort out the problem..................if not, you are gonna eat a lot of brown stuff on this forum.