32GI vs Cytomax

Vetseun

Taking a walk through Discem yesterday I noticed Cytomax. We used to race on that stuff years ago and it was brilliant. Nowdays I am a 32gi fan and have no reason to change. What I fancied about Cytomax was that the 2.2kg (I think it was 2.2kg)tub cost R299 whereas the 1kg cytomax as well as the 1kg 32gi cost R229.So for a bargain buy its a good saving to buy the big cytomax tub. Doesnt 32gi come in a bigger tub?

For interest sake I would like to hear a few opinions on these two fine products.

my 2c worth :) I am a 32gi convert , I rate the product highly as it does not "spike" me like other products , cyto max is good , also used to use it , not the greatest tasting though :(

32gi works for me :)

You use the same as i do!

I train all week with 32Gi, eat low GI on a daily basis. Come race day. I eat a low GI breakfast, followed by my 500ml pre-race 32gi bottle. Then off on the ride. On my bike I have 2 bottles. 1 is 32gi, in the front cage which I will sip on from the end of hour 1 to 2 and half hours.

At that point, I feel I need a little more in my system, so move Cytomax to front cage, chomp on a Banana and Energy Bar... and then ride the remainder on Cytomax, with a Gel thrown in for good measure in the last 10km (Caffeine included in gel).

Thats what works for me. I feel that after being in the saddle at "race pace" for 2 and half hours, I feel I need a pick me up and the Cytomax does that for me....

Just my 2c worth dry.gif

Edited by I-FELT-the-FORCE

I used Cytomax for a couple of years. I have now gone over to 32GI because I found that Cytomax did not mix well in low temperatures in Winter.

I used Cytomax for a couple of years. I have now gone over to 32GI because I found that Cytomax did not mix well in low temperatures in Winter.

So did you use to mix it with warm water in the summer?

So did you use to mix it with warm water in the summer?

Just tap water all year round :) Used it on RASA last year and it seemed to congeal into a ball of wet powder, however the temperatures were fairly low ;)

I have used many different supplements to find one that works best for me.

After about 5 years I realized what this stuff actually does - nothing!

Ok it replaces a bit of electrolytes and carbohydrates but if you are not fit none of these supplements is magically going to make you feel better or increase your performance that drastically. There is only one thing, train and train lots.

Been using Cytomax Fresh apple for the last 3 years simply because it is the best tasting supplement I could find and that made me stick with it. Tried all the different flavors of 32GI and they were all pretty horrible and way to sweet for my liking.

I followed the instructions as prescribed (my diet is pretty much on par here anyway) and did it do anything different or made me feel any different? Nope, I dont know what all the hype is about.

If I had to choose between the two, Cytomax - simply because it tastes better :P

I have used Cytomax for over 10 years and swear by the stuff. The Tropical flavour is awesome and if you buy the 2.2kg tub it works out to about R11/litre which is MUCH cheaper than USN Epic Pro.

Cytomax rules - Go grape is the best flavour used it for years now. Train on water if the ride is less than 3 hours otherwise - 1 bottle water and 1 bottle cytomax !!! Tried 32Gi and it did nothing for me...

I also use Cytomax, but try to use as little as possible of it. Train on water and only have 1 bottle of Cytomax for races (the other water). In the past I have also been lured into using all sorts of supplements, but have figured out that they're all basically sugary water and there is only so much your body can digest in a 3 hour race. Just eat a balanced diet on a continous basis and include lost of carbs. Eat something on the morning, but nothing that will overload your digestion (e.g bananas!)

I agree with Tankman, that the more I train, the less I seem to need suplements... :)

btw the concept "low GI" comes from the world of "alternative" medicine, so anybody that doesn't believe shaved rhino horn is going to cure cancer, should take care with these unscientific claims.

I Have to agree that Cytomax flavours are amazing, grape, Apple in my opinion is amazing. However I am Now on my 2nd tub of 23 GI, And I might be converted. I dont drink to much while riding and I race most 3hr Mtb races with one 1l bottles and for longer races I either take a banky with more powder or a nother bottle in the back pocket. I Use to notice how my energy levels dip when I hadnt taken a sip of Cytomax for 15 minutes, and also discovered that I often didnt feel to good when I raced in cold conditions reason was, I didnt drink enough! I could feel everytime I started feeling "pap" or low I would take a sip of great tasting cytomax and Boom, Like a Gu gel I would be back on the ball.

But, When I rode this stage race Ive mentioned on other pages on here, I think I started seeing the fruits of 32GI. Sometimes when you only ride up to 3hrs, Its difficult to judge If your energy levels are still being affected by yesterdays eating, the before ride meal or your energy drink, But From 3- 6hrs, You start getting very "in tune" with your system, Especially doing it 3 days in a row.

I noticed my Partner who was on Perplexium(sorry Im not sure did that justice) From Hammer Was Up and down a lot more than I was, And later in the rides he started taking sips of my 32GI just to vary it a bit as he was getting tired of the taste of Hammer, within 15 minutes he noticed the difference, And He actually used 32GI the last day as he was convinced.

I find I still had slight ups and downs, but far smaller variations in evergy levels than on other stuff, I have to also say, I never once during the 3 days and 14:36 hours in the saddle I felt "I hit the wall". And we were racing on our limits the whole way.

They better make more flavours but Peach is good for now...

I Have to agree that Cytomax flavours are amazing, grape, Apple in my opinion is amazing. However I am Now on my 2nd tub of 23 GI, And I might be converted. I dont drink to much while riding and I race most 3hr Mtb races with one 1l bottles and for longer races I either take a banky with more powder or a nother bottle in the back pocket. I Use to notice how my energy levels dip when I hadnt taken a sip of Cytomax for 15 minutes, and also discovered that I often didnt feel to good when I raced in cold conditions reason was, I didnt drink enough! I could feel everytime I started feeling "pap" or low I would take a sip of great tasting cytomax and Boom, Like a Gu gel I would be back on the ball.

But, When I rode this stage race Ive mentioned on other pages on here, I think I started seeing the fruits of 32GI. Sometimes when you only ride up to 3hrs, Its difficult to judge If your energy levels are still being affected by yesterdays eating, the before ride meal or your energy drink, But From 3- 6hrs, You start getting very "in tune" with your system, Especially doing it 3 days in a row.

I noticed my Partner who was on Perplexium(sorry Im not sure did that justice) From Hammer Was Up and down a lot more than I was, And later in the rides he started taking sips of my 32GI just to vary it a bit as he was getting tired of the taste of Hammer, within 15 minutes he noticed the difference, And He actually used 32GI the last day as he was convinced.

I find I still had slight ups and downs, but far smaller variations in evergy levels than on other stuff, I have to also say, I never once during the 3 days and 14:36 hours in the saddle I felt "I hit the wall". And we were racing on our limits the whole way.

They better make more flavours but Peach is good for now...

I Use to notice how my energy levels dip when I hadnt taken a sip of Cytomax for 15 minutes, and also discovered that I often didnt feel to good when I raced in cold conditions reason was, I didnt drink enough! I could feel everytime I started feeling "pap" or low I would take a sip of great tasting cytomax and Boom, Like a Gu gel I would be back on the ball.

My energy levels also takes a dip after 15 minutes .... of Hard Racing!

I have never experienced this "boom" after just a few sips of Any legal supplements. What exactly do you have in those bankies?

I dont feel good in cold conditions either, takes about 45 minutes to warm up and again have never found a supplement that can change this?

My energy levels also takes a dip after 15 minutes .... of Hard Racing!

I have never experienced this "boom" after just a few sips of Any legal supplements. What exactly do you have in those bankies?

I dont feel good in cold conditions either, takes about 45 minutes to warm up and again have never found a supplement that can change this?

I use to have cytomax In those bankies bro, The Illegal stuff that gives you boom goes into your blood right? haha and the stuff you inhale makes you verry mellow :lol:

I was saying in the cold I dont drink enough, which was why I sometimes didnt feel good,

Tried Cytomax and it made me sick

[edit] Might have been the dam water or the effort from racing a std tri to hard.

BUT I gave the stuff away after that

Started using 32GI late last year, and found it awesome, best sports drink I've used over the last 20 yrs.

Cannot wait to try the bars and chews.

I am a Cytomax fan, but am willing to try new products if the new product provides me with scientific proof that it works better. We know that simple carbs (sugars)work during a race (compare to water) - we have lots of scientific proof. Low GI drinks have been around for a while now, but I am still holding my breath for scientific (randomized controlled trials) that the stuff works 1. Better than water 2. Better than conventional energy drinks

Perhaps the guys from 32GI can help shed some light?