hardtail vs softtail

nello

please advise me what the pro's and cons are of either a hardtail and softtail are over longer distances, i am currently looking at doing longer distances of 70kms + and i haven't ridden a softail to feel the difference...

thanks

Nello

I recently bought a Specialized Stumpjumper. The difference on rough or rocky roads, badly rutted district roads ect is huge - able to travel much faster and safer. I still prefer riding my hardtail, but if I know the road is going to be rough, no question about using the soft tail. One bit of advice - if you can get the rear shock adjuster attached to your handle bars - to make full use of your rear shock you need to adjust to lock out, travel or full suspension. Bending down to change the lever can become problematic if you are not used to bending down and changing the lever. Buy the soft tail, but dont sell your hard tail.

I recently bought a Specialized Stumpjumper. The difference on rough or rocky roads, badly rutted district roads ect is huge - able to travel much faster and safer. I still prefer riding my hardtail, but if I know the road is going to be rough, no question about using the soft tail. One bit of advice - if you can get the rear shock adjuster attached to your handle bars - to make full use of your rear shock you need to adjust to lock out, travel or full suspension. Bending down to change the lever can become problematic if you are not used to bending down and changing the lever. Buy the soft tail, but dont sell your hard tail.

thanks for the advice i really appreciate it and thanks for letting me know about the adjuster on the handlebars

thanks once again

Nello

• 4 years later...

HT vs DS - see thats a topic that is still relevant - im still a bit confused because does the same principles apply as a few years back

Nello:

I have the same question so thanks for asking it.....and I hope I am not hijacking your thread. I have a hard tail and I have done most of the Ashburton and Trailseeker Marathons and some other events over 70+ km's this year. Is it an upgrade to go soft tail or is it a totally different ride? I am considering the change but I am not sure why. Softer ride? Better efficiency? More confident on down hills? What are the benefits? Will also appreciate some input.

You get 3 types of frames, being a hard tail, soft tail and dual suspension.
the difference between ST and DS is that there is no pivot point near the BB on a soft tail (see picture to see). Usually just a spring plate. The DS has a pivot point there
A HT is self explanitory?

post-16639-0-76786700-1448529919_thumb.jpg

post-16639-0-43874900-1448530073_thumb.png

Edited by Paulst12

there is a bike for every rider out there, its got nothing to do with brands, dont let people tell you that one brand is better that another. Find the bike thats right for you!. You can only do this by knowing what type of rider you are. I am a Scott Fan. I think Scott bikes a beautiful, yet I am riding a Giant Anthem X at this stage. Why, because its a plusher ride and gives me more options than the Spark 920 I had. Similar spec bikes, The Scott out performed the Giant on the fast XC tracks, but the Giant out performs the Scott on more technical loose rocky stuff and are more stable than what the Spark was. Both brilliant bikes, but the Giants suspension lets me hit little bit bigger jumps than the Scott. 

the hardtails outclimbs the Duals on gravel road / dirt roadie type climbs

the duals outclimbs the hardtails on loose rocky technical climbs

which is better, red or blue? 

just find your bike and be happy with it. your bike is the best bike!

Nello:

I have the same question so thanks for asking it.....and I hope I am not hijacking your thread. I have a hard tail and I have done most of the Ashburton and Trailseeker Marathons and some other events over 70+ km's this year. Is it an upgrade to go soft tail or is it a totally different ride? I am considering the change but I am not sure why. Softer ride? Better efficiency? More confident on down hills? What are the benefits? Will also appreciate some input.

Nello hasn't been on the hub in more than a year; I'm sure he won't mind you hijacking his thread :-)

Having owned and ridden both, Here are my opinions

HT - Climbing is better, loose rocky, sandy, gravelly terrain. I was able to keep traction 90% of the time. 

I felt more efficient on the HT, obviously due to not having any rider induced bobbing. 

Long distances were not great. Fatigue was an issue with anything over 40kms (When i was fit) 

DS - I cannot for the life of me hold momentum up a hill in the same conditions, this could be attributed to many things such as suspension setup, tyre pressures etc. 

Technically i feel 100% more comfortable on the ds, tight slow sections or faster downhill sections. 

Longer distances i am able to get off the bike without feeling like i have been hit by a bus, or punched in the kidneys by a professional boxer. 

On longer hardpack sections i lock out both back and front to cure bob and transfer energy into going forward.

Overall my preference is the DS as i enjoy the ride more, which is what counts. 

My advice, is to ride both types. make a decision based on which one you enjoy more. 

As stipulated these are MY opinions based on my own experience, results may vary and batteries are sold separately  :thumbup:

simple the DS is better on ur body less vibration and good traction descending back wheel doesn't bob around as much.

if u have carpel tunnel/ulnar nerve entrapment the DS will be more forgiving on the long rides.

HT are more fun!

Nello hasn't been on the hub in more than a year; I'm sure he won't mind you hijacking his thread :-)

Thanks for pointing that out......ahem........I had such a good chuckle now.... :blush: