• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Happy birthday to me......

http://mymountain.com.au/resources/A3/4771/picture/E7/16573415.gif

Going on my single speed. Anyone need a set of slightly used SLX chainrings?

Love, love love love... craazy love

carbon race fork from ON*ONE in UK, tried it at Kings Kloof black route yesterday, and really loved it.

post-13220-0-57037600-1322457666.jpg

Edited by D Vader

Saw a very nice silver Alan with red rims on the roof of a car at Irene market on Sat. Sure I've seen pictures of that bike on the Hub . Cannot find them.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys

Check out Pinarello's latest offering...

http://bikereviews.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/2012-pinarello-diesel-only-the-brave-single-speed-city-bike.jpg

I am really keen on building a SS. What I like about it is that you custom build and every SS differs as much as their owners.

From next week I am on leave so my project is set to kick off. I want to go a browse all the pawn shops around PTA and pick out that one frame that catches my eye.

From what I have gathered and what I like in a frame is that it should have vertical drop outs, nice lugs and should be steel. What else should I look at? I see that most old steel frames has those shifter on the down tube (I don’t know what you call them), like the ones in the OP. What is the norm? Should I look for a frame without them or is the idea to keep them on the frame for the final project?

I am really keen on building a SS. What I like about it is that you custom build and every SS differs as much as their owners.

From next week I am on leave so my project is set to kick off. I want to go a browse all the pawn shops around PTA and pick out that one frame that catches my eye.

From what I have gathered and what I like in a frame is that it should have vertical drop outs, nice lugs and should be steel. What else should I look at? I see that most old steel frames has those shifter on the down tube (I don’t know what you call them), like the ones in the OP. What is the norm? Should I look for a frame without them or is the idea to keep them on the frame for the final project?

What size frame are you looking for? I might have something for you....with no shifter braze-ons. And the right kind of drop-outs.

Edited by divernick

What size frame are you looking for? I might have something for you....with no shifter braze-ons. And the right kind of drop-outs.

That divernick, but I actually want ot go browse in all the pawn shops myself and see what hidden gems there are. I think its part of the fun?

That divernick, but I actually want ot go browse in all the pawn shops myself and see what hidden gems there are. I think its part of the fun?

You're absolutely right! Building up a bike from parts found all over is the best! I feel that each part has a history, a story and all contribute to the "soul" of the machine.'

The only original parts on my MTB ss (pictured above) are the frame, fork, seatpost and headset. The wheels came off a GHOST, cranks, brakes, tyres, stem all bought 2nd hand off the Hub.... it's starting to really develop a personality!

Good luck with the build and keep us posted with photos. Let me know if you need help finding parts, I have a lot lying around.

Edited by divernick

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks to Squier I just purchased part one of my SS project. Will be using the frame and what ever else I can find or use from the bike :clap:

post-5905-0-45505900-1325256627.jpg

the tension kit yes.. love it get it..

the chain ring i couldnt answer you on dont know your crank set up.

that is for a one piece crank if i'm not mistaken..

but looks cool

so basicly i can buy a old frame with a vertical dropout and just put a chaintensioner on?

I created a new topic as well "Frame for a Fixie"

But any help would be great.i'm in Pretoria