Helmet follow on .......

Capricorn

i always wonder how much protection roadie lids really offer, ie what's the design basis for the shape and size of those roadie lids, considering the sick speeds they can generate.. *shudder*

healing vibes to Allistair. Wishing him a full and speedy recovery.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bit off topic but I know a guy Paul that fell off his bike 3 weekends ago. Also smashed his helmet. This week he started slipping in and out of conciousness. He is in Baragwanath. After 3 days in a private hospital in ICU and a R100000.00 bill they realized his medical aid wasn't up to date/valid so transfered him there. :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

jeez. but what's wrong with him chris? some sort of undiagnosed brain trauma?

makes you really wonder what the point of wearing a helmet is?

jeez. but what's wrong with him chris? some sort of undiagnosed brain trauma?

I don't know but he had bad swelling on his brain. Nobody knows what happened. Him and his mate Craig were riding on tar on MTBs and craig heard a big crash behind him. For no aparent reason Paul hit the deck and split his helmet open.

Guest Big H

Unsensative remark

I have three broken helmets that show me what the point is.

Unsensative remark

Why is that?? It's an honest statement!

2 accidents on the same page resulting in head trauma, while wearing a helmet. I don't feel as confident now that my helmet will protect me when i need it too.

Why is that?? It's an honest statement!

2 accidents on the same page resulting in head trauma, while wearing a helmet. I don't feel as confident now that my helmet will protect me when i need it too.

chubba, whilst I understand where you are commimg from, my best mate came off his mtb at about 50km/h at Northern Farms last year and the only thing that saved him from something terrible as what as happened to Alister was his helmet.

Unfortunately, it appears that Alister has been victim of freak accident and terrible luck

Hope he manages to pull through

Guest Big H

When we fell with our tandem my wife was thrown up into the air and came down right on her head. The helmet did not even have grazes on the shell. It had the tar imprint "stamped" on it. The helmet was broken in seven places. She had no injuries at all exept a stiff neck and blue bruises on her thigh. We were travelling at about 35km/h when a jerk fell in front of us on a straight open road.

I saw my dad's helmet after a very very nasty crash when a car pulled out in front of him while he was going downhill at about 50 km/h. The helmet was broken into 2 pieces and had clear black car tyre tread marks over one third of it where the wheel went over his head. He had 2 broken arms and a broken shoulder with severe facial injuries but NO HEAD INJURIES!

Because of that very cheap helmet and some guardian angels on Red Bull, I'll ride the Argus with him on Sunday!

That's also why I wear my helmet and my kids wear theirs, always! That's why I have 3 helmets and why my boys have 2 each, literally the right thing for every occasion, whether it's road, trails or DH.

Yup.

Not long after I started riding I fell with my mtb riding at 50km/h. Stopped the fall with my hands and head. Both arms broken and only slight concussion. Picked up helmet parts all over the place.

I'd say a helmet does a pretty darn good job. Doesn't matter how light fast roadie helmets are, if they're approved by whoever, then they should do the job

I've suffered two concussions from DH todate: once during a race wearing a full face lid, and the other wearing an XC lid. WIth the latter situation, the lid didnt hit the ground once. face and hands took the full brunt of the impact at about 50 - 60kph. So in a nutshell, concussion with ff lid, and concussion effectively lidless.

with the FF, no facial lacerations, in the latter, i needed surgery to fix the abrasion damage to my face and hands.

The point i'm trying to make is, whether u on a DH run at 50kph, or a road run at 50kph, it's still 50kph. Landing on your face without full facial protection is going land you in a world of hurt. Frankly, i think roadie protection is incredibly lacking: no pads, no ff protection, and all this at higher speed on a surface that's as unforgiving as a dirt track at less speed.

So whether a FF lid or an XC/roadie type lid, you cant really escape a proper concussion. All lids are designed to absorb a maximum amount of impact energy, the balance helps scramble your brains. But, extended facial damage is a much much higher probability using an XC/roadie lid than a FF.

Guest Big H

I've suffered two concussions from DH todate: once during a race wearing a full face lid, and the other wearing an XC lid. WIth the latter situation, the lid didnt hit the ground once. face and hands took the full brunt of the impact at about 50 - 60kph. So in a nutshell, concussion with ff lid, and concussion effectively lidless.

with the FF, no facial lacerations, in the latter, i needed surgery to fix the abrasion damage to my face and hands.

The point i'm trying to make is, whether u on a DH run at 50kph, or a road run at 50kph, it's still 50kph. Landing on your face without full facial protection is going land you in a world of hurt. Frankly, i think roadie protection is incredibly lacking: no pads, no ff protection, and all this at higher speed on a surface that's as unforgiving as a dirt track at less speed.

So whether a FF lid or an XC/roadie type lid, you cant really escape a proper concussion. All lids are designed to absorb a maximum amount of impact energy, the balance helps scramble your brains. But, extended facial damage is a much much higher probability using an XC/roadie lid than a FF.

You want roadies to wear full face helmets and body armour...... Are they made of carbon fibre??????? ....... Then you may just sell the idea!!!!!!

You want roadies to wear full face helmets and body armour...... Are they made of carbon fibre??????? ....... Then you may just sell the idea!!!!!!

damn, roadies taking the opportunity to protect themselves. that I have to see ;)

I dont know Mr H. Maybe i'm missing something here, but I dont see much difference wrt risk between high speed road riding and for example, downhill racing.