workshop wisdom

ichnusa

One liners...

1) If it aint broke... dont fix it... just clean it!

2) Once the limiting screws on the derailleurs have been set properly, they hardly need to be adjusted again. Something else has gone wrong to affect your shifting... like dirty housing, bent derailleur hanger etc

3) Sometimes the annoying, untraceable creak is coming from your cracked frame.

4) The right tool for the right job...

Edited by ichnusa

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Workshop tool used most often also happens to be one of the cheapest, R45...

post-3227-0-12013500-1300615030.png

Edited by Eraser

When removing anything involving bearings, work over an old towel - or expect to spend several hours on your hands and knees looking for them...

One liners...

1) If it aint broke... dont fix it... just clean it!

2) Once the limiting screws on the derailleurs have been set properly, they hardly need to be adjusted again. Something else has gone wrong to affect your shifting... like dirty housing, bent derailleur hanger etc

3) Sometimes the annoying, untraceable creak is coming from your cracked frame.

4) The right tool for the right job...

There fixed

When removing anything involving bearings, work over an old towel - or expect to spend several hours on your hands and knees looking for them...

Or get a good strong magnet.

I use old paint roller trays, and work over them.

If you can, get some spare bearings (if you use ball bearings), one always eludes you!

I use a telescopic aerial thing that has a magnet at the end, cost about R30 and was the best thing I ever bought on the cheap!

Edited by Mojoman

Get a decent workshop stand. You will realize the first time you use it that it was well worth the money.

If you write down a detailed list of all the torque specs for the parts on your bikes, make sure you update it when you get new parts. Especially if the new parts require lower torques :blush:.

Workshop tool used most often also happens to be one of the cheapest, R45...

The workshop tool that some places almost never use is free :P:

http://www.morphonix.com/software/education/science/brain/game/specimens/images/wet_brain.gif

If it looks interesting, open it up.

This should be a standard interview technique for all engineers. Leave them in a room with something interesting. If they don't attempt to take it apart, don't hire them.

If it looks interesting, open it up.

Anyone has a Rohloff that needs looking at?

I agree, but never the night before a race and never ever if you do not have a backup plan the night before a race...

I'm not calling it a workshop until I see the tub of handcleaner

Hmmm... yes, and i wish i had a stainless steel basin with hot water in my workshop...

The workshop tool that some places almost never use is free :P:

http://www.morphonix.com/software/education/science/brain/game/specimens/images/wet_brain.gif

What do you do with a t-shirt you receive free? You use it as a rag. Unfortunately, that's often the case with free things...