Formula 1...

'Dale

There's a lot to be learned but its clear heavy lift equipment and F1 cars should'nt be around each other. Maria Di Violotta's accident should have opened eyes to that fact

As soon as Sutil crashed I shouted out loud "safety car".  Its not rocket science that with rain coming down harder and cars on inters, seeing one car aquaplane off on a corner, the odds are high that others will follow in the same spot.   With the tractor, marshals and Sutil all in harms way, the safety car in such a case is a no brainer - and frankly I think leaving the cars to race was criminally reckless - as such an incident was foreseeable.

This is the second time this year such reckless inaction has been seen.  The first was when marshals were on the track while cars continued at race speed.  That time they got lucky.

Time for Charlie to retire.

Edited by dracs

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Tog. Poor guy. I really hope he makes it.

stats on his injuries suggests 'making it' won't be ideal. Makes me wonder which side of vegetative Schumacher is.

Diffuse axonal injury (DAI) is one of the most common and devastating types of traumatic brain injury,[1] meaning that damage occurs over a more widespread area than in focal brain injury. DAI, which refers to extensive lesions in white matter tracts, is one of the major causes of unconsciousness and persistent vegetative state after head trauma.[2] It occurs in about half of all cases of severe head trauma.

The outcome is frequently coma, with over 90% of patients with severe DAI never regaining consciousness.[2] Those who do wake up often remain significantly impaired.[3]

Other authors state that DAI can occur in every degree of severity from (very) mild or moderate to (very) severe.[4][5] Concussion may be a milder type of diffuse axonal injury.[6]

The bit in red is a caution to our riders. Do what you can to limit the risk of a concussion.Its way more serious than we initially believe it to be.

It's ironic that two Marussia drivers had similar accidents. The other one being Maria de Villota who lost an eye and died months later.

"The entry of this crane (on to the circuit) without the pace car is totally unacceptable. It's a real mistake that should not be repeated,” Prost emphasised. "A mistake has been made, that's obvious.

“Who made the mistake? I'm still not entirely sure. Was it the race director or the marshals on those bends

News24

I was baffled by the marshall waving a green flag before and after the accident. How can you be on green with a jcb on track?

Firstly, I do not think Bianchi would or could have seen a green flag, that is in my mind irrelevant. (They are anyways more guided by/reliant on the yellow lights trackside and their onboard lights as well nowadays.) 

Secondly, apparently the crane was initially on the verge of the marshal post, moved out of that/his area once it started moving Sutil's car, which meant (to the marshal) that his area was clear.

Hindsight is a much more exact science - had nothing happened, nobody would have said a word... and this has happened countless times before. I mean, earlier the year the removed Sutil's (ironically, him again!) car from ON TRACK with waved yellows... with marshals having to cross the track and all.

For sure things will change after this, for now the only thing that counts is a young man's life.  

I was baffled by the marshall waving a green flag before and after the accident. How can you be on green with a jcb on track?

"Yes, a green flag was waving, but know the whole story"

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/yes-a-green-flag-was-waving-but-know-the-whole-story/?v=2&s=1

http://cdn-2.motorsport.com/static/img/amp/400000/450000/457000/457200/457222/s6_121083/f1-japanese-gp-2014-infographic-of-the-jules-bianchi-and-adrian-sutil-crash-site.jpg

For sure things will change after this, for now the only thing that counts is a young man's life.  

+1

This topic has come up again.

http://cdn-4.motorsport.com/static/img/amp/400000/450000/457000/457200/457284/s6_121939/f1-rendering-of-a-closed-cockpit-ferrari-f1.jpg

I like it, but I don't think it would have made one jot of difference in this instance...