Formula 1...

'Dale

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

do you guys think there's room for tyres that lets say would last 20 laps ( 30 if drivers push it ) but have super hero levels of grip vs. less grippy tyres that last 40/50 laps.

I think 2 stop races should be common place

Again, designing the tyres to last shorter distances is what pirelli is struggling with... I can only imagine their entire R&D team has been working on long lasting tyres for the entire history, now they've been asked to create a super grippy, super stable tyre but that must degrade fast enough... I can sympathize with the engineers..

I still think the grip level gap will make the difference... It would either force guys to go longer on harder tyres, with a one stop, or you could go two stints with super grippy and a short stint with the primes. I'm sure it would leave enough up to the imagination of the strategists....

Let's hope that the new aero rules will sort out the overtaking too... Right now qualifying is the most intriguing part of a weekend...

At least le clerc is making things interesting, it's fun to see how he's able to make a car perform beyond its abilities... Would love to see him and Max Verchrashen go head to head as two young drivers like they used to...

Quite interesting development in WEC with their 2020 rules. Instead of writing a thousand rules with another thousand technical directives, they are aiming to limit aero by simply putting drag and downforce figures down. 

https://www.motorsport.com/wec/news/aero-rules-key-to-containing-2020-costs-1046237/?s=1

Manufacturers and constructors building cars to the rules announced on Friday in Le Mans for the so-far unnamed top class of the WEC from the 2020/21 season will be given downforce and drag targets that they cannot exceed.

Toyota Motorsport GmbH technical director Pascal Vasselon described the principle behind the aero rules as an "interesting innovation".

"Instead of micro-managing the regulations by banning this winglet or that one, where the regulatory body is always behind the engineers, here the actual aerodynamic performance is set," he said. "That is the best way to manage things.

"The target is to set the aero efficiency at an achievable level, not at a level that requires 30 people over three years – it should be achievable by a team with a few good CFD [computational fluid dynamics] engineers." 

Quite interesting development in WEC with their 2020 rules. Instead of writing a thousand rules with another thousand technical directives, they are aiming to limit aero by simply putting drag and downforce figures down. 

https://www.motorsport.com/wec/news/aero-rules-key-to-containing-2020-costs-1046237/?s=1

Manufacturers and constructors building cars to the rules announced on Friday in Le Mans for the so-far unnamed top class of the WEC from the 2020/21 season will be given downforce and drag targets that they cannot exceed.

Toyota Motorsport GmbH technical director Pascal Vasselon described the principle behind the aero rules as an "interesting innovation".

"Instead of micro-managing the regulations by banning this winglet or that one, where the regulatory body is always behind the engineers, here the actual aerodynamic performance is set," he said. "That is the best way to manage things.

"The target is to set the aero efficiency at an achievable level, not at a level that requires 30 people over three years – it should be achievable by a team with a few good CFD [computational fluid dynamics] engineers." 

You seen Toyota's road going TS050 they are launching for the new hypercar class.

Insane!!!!

Bromance is growing stronger

Hamilton defends Vettel after latest error

"I know what you’re saying but it is really a racing incident in turn one, and those things can happen. We’re all going into that first corner at great speeds.

"I don’t feel that he’s particularly made more mistakes," added Hamilton

https://www.supersport.com/motorsport/news/180624_Hamilton_defends_Vettel_after_latest_error

Bromance is growing stronger

Hamilton defends Vettel after latest error

"I know what you’re saying but it is really a racing incident in turn one, and those things can happen. We’re all going into that first corner at great speeds.

"I don’t feel that he’s particularly made more mistakes," added Hamilton

https://www.supersport.com/motorsport/news/180624_Hamilton_defends_Vettel_after_latest_error

That was not his initial, non PR, reaction though.........