Formula 1...

'Dale

I figured it won't be long before RBR puts all blame on Renault. Marko did so while their cars were still trying to finish the race and Newey wasn't far behind. Now they are threatening to quit if the FIA doesn't step in to equalize.

How quickly one forgets. 4 Years of domination. Maybe it's because their trophy cabinet is still half empty. 

I'd agree F1 isn't healthy, but to carry on like they do is immature.

They never had such a big advantage as the Mercs, nor did they have the best engine. They had a fantastic chassis and brilliant aerodynamics. This Mercedes power unit is easily 80 to 100hp more powerfull than the other guys. The other guys cannot close the gap because of regulations. 

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I figured it won't be long before RBR puts all blame on Renault. Marko did so while their cars were still trying to finish the race and Newey wasn't far behind. Now they are threatening to quit if the FIA doesn't step in to equalize.

How quickly one forgets. 4 Years of domination. Maybe it's because their trophy cabinet is still half empty. 

I'd agree F1 isn't healthy, but to carry on like they do is immature.

I agree to a point, as JB has said the RBR never had this degree of dominance and whenever it looked to be going that way they adjusted the rules, blown difussers, active bodywork, etc being banned.

After watching some rally cross, wouldn't it be interesting if they made the Mercedes do an extra loop maybe 3 or 4 times during the race. Maybe give them compulsary stop/go's just for ****s and giggles. LOL, Bernie could make them race on wets!!!

BTW, isn't RBR's trophy cabinet completely empty after the theft................

Edited by Steven Knoetze (sk27)

They never had such a big advantage as the Mercs, nor did they have the best engine. They had a fantastic chassis and brilliant aerodynamics. This Mercedes power unit is easily 80 to 100hp more powerfull than the other guys. The other guys cannot close the gap because of regulations.

100%

100%

Yip, agree with you. What I'm aiming at is them mouthing off against a partner. Yes, Renault is not doing the best job out there, but flaming them in public is NOT going to help. Ferrari had a turbo issue last year (outside supplier) and the general only came to know about it through an inside leak. Never once did they flame them to the world media.

The fact that a Sauber out-raced RBR means their chassis is not on the bright side this year. If it wasn't for a 30 second delay in the pits there was good chance Sainz would have finished ahead of Ricciardo as well.

Reports suggest Merc (the team) is down on straight line speed against Ferrari and Williams, but immense through corners. That would suggest great aero and chassis. So this year they are playing RBR's game. Sacrifice out right speed for grip through the twisty bits.

Yes F1 needs fixing, but RBR are being kids about losing. Threatening to quit? I thought that was Ferrari's line?  :whistling:

Yip, agree with you. What I'm aiming at is them mouthing off against a partner. Yes, Renault is not doing the best job out there, but flaming them in public is NOT going to help. Ferrari had a turbo issue last year (outside supplier) and the general only came to know about it through an inside leak. Never once did they flame them to the world media.

The fact that a Sauber out-raced RBR means their chassis is not on the bright side this year. If it wasn't for a 30 second delay in the pits there was good chance Sainz would have finished ahead of Ricciardo as well.

Reports suggest Merc (the team) is down on straight line speed against Ferrari and Williams, but immense through corners. That would suggest great aero and chassis. So this year they are playing RBR's game. Sacrifice out right speed for grip through the twisty bits.

Yes F1 needs fixing, but RBR are being kids about losing. Threatening to quit? I thought that was Ferrari's line? :whistling:

100 % agreed Iwan

Yes F1 needs fixing, but RBR are being kids about losing. Threatening to quit? I thought that was Ferrari's line?  :whistling:

I heard Coulthard saying before the race that Merc are running a massive rear wing. Because they have to engine to pull that wing. 

But ja, Reb Bull should handle the situation better, agreed. 

There will always be a dominant team in F1. Two particular years that stand out are 1978 (Lotus 79) and 1988 (McLaren MP4/4). Other teams eventually caught up.

These days with the lack of testing and engine freezes, it is virtually impossible to make any headway into Mercedes domination.

Bernie and the FIA will have to do some serious thinking. If this is the so called pinnacle of motor sport then they can keep it.

I heard Coulthard saying before the race that Merc are running a massive rear wing. Because they have to engine to pull that wing.

But ja, Reb Bull should handle the situation better, agreed.

Yeah. Sacrificing top end speed but getting far more traction on the corners. Still, even though they have an aerodynamically limited top speed, the speed at which they get there is far faster.

Yeah. Sacrificing top end speed but getting far more traction on the corners. Still, even though they have an aerodynamically limited top speed, the speed at which they get there is far faster.

Yip. Remember Seb never had his car set up or geared for DRS use as he was running out front not having to worry about using it to overtake. 

The problem comes in with the fact that they are scrambling to try and fix something that from the outset was flawed. Even aero spend is out of whack. I've said it before and will say it again: Caterham and Marussia were spending MUCH less running MUCH less complicated cars with a LOT less staff and still they were only a couple of seconds off the pace. Is 3 seconds worth the money, the effort and drama? Nope, not to me.

Besides, those couple of seconds could be made up with tire compound change in a a quarter or two. What is road relevant about the aero bits on those cars? Plus the ban coaching a driver, but only via radio!!! They can still send him messages we just don't hear them - F1 really is a right royal mess. Take away the ability to change brake-bias for every corner, take away the ability to change diff settings and engine maps. Give them cars to RACE the crap out of and be done with it.

But get them to race closer with less money and faff. And give us better coverage and more fans in the stands. 

Also worth mentioning that Renault, together with RBR, took the strategic decision to keep some tokens for later in the year in order to develop and test for longer and to also have the biggest benefit going into 2016. Hence they have used the least tokens of all three 2014 engine manufacturers. 

Tokens available to be used, by manufacturer
Renault 12 of 32
Ferrari 10 of 32
Honda 9 of 32 (average of other three)
Mercedes 7 of 32

Sad state of affairs when the highlight (for me) was watching to see if Button would finish.

Was hoping to see at least a Mercedes dual at the sharp end...

Perhaps if they did not have to worry about fuel? One rule they can do with getting rid of is the fuel quantity and flow limits.... IMO its not a race when drivers have to back off to conserve fuel