Formula 1...

'Dale

1 hour ago, Long Wheel Base said:

Screenshot_20210628-185940_Instagram.jpg.84059e08fe198083f4f129b2f444657d.jpg

He's not wrong on dominance being hella boring, except, Max has not dominated. Not by a long shot. Only in Austria did they have a clear run in front without issues.

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, Vetplant said:

He's not wrong on dominance being hella boring, except, Max has not dominated. Not by a long shot. Only in Austria did they have a clear run in front without issues.

Yeah you right. So I am a Ferrari/Schumi supported and have been ever since I can remember. All the years the GOAT dominated, I didn't find it boring, in fact I loved it. I used to go to school on a Monday and gloat with all my other F1 fan buddies.

Then when that ended and Schumi stopped I kinda became less obsessed and if I missed a race I wasn't phased, would also have the race on TV but carry on with other stuff. Then a few years back when Mick started racing F2 I got back into it full time again but found F1 boring because Lewis was so dominant.

I have a mate who is a McLaren supporter and says he hated the Schumi era big time.

So I guess if you support the dominant team then you are happy. 

With my team doing so badly I am now watching because I enjoy the motor racing and it is now not so dominant. I am enjoying F1 at the moment. Even the midfield where my team is, is exciting now. Lando just needs to move from no mans land in between Merc/RBR and the midfield up to join the top 4 and it will be even better.

On 6/29/2021 at 11:18 AM, Long Wheel Base said:

Yeah you right. So I am a Ferrari/Schumi supported and have been ever since I can remember. All the years the GOAT dominated, I didn't find it boring, in fact I loved it. I used to go to school on a Monday and gloat with all my other F1 fan buddies.

Then when that ended and Schumi stopped I kinda became less obsessed and if I missed a race I wasn't phased, would also have the race on TV but carry on with other stuff. Then a few years back when Mick started racing F2 I got back into it full time again but found F1 boring because Lewis was so dominant.

I have a mate who is a McLaren supporter and says he hated the Schumi era big time.

So I guess if you support the dominant team then you are happy. 

With my team doing so badly I am now watching because I enjoy the motor racing and it is now not so dominant. I am enjoying F1 at the moment. Even the midfield where my team is, is exciting now. Lando just needs to move from no mans land in between Merc/RBR and the midfield up to join the top 4 and it will be even better.

Everyone will always have their favourites for sure. Schumi definitely features in the GOAT debate in my opinion, for reasons beyond just driving the car. People will always comment that he had the best car, but then show me a WDC that didn't have at least the equal best car on the grid. Most had the best car when they won. He was brilliant at driving, no doubt, but he was also able to build and galvanise a team. In all documentaries, those behind the scenes always remembered how he was connected to all members of the team in the garage and at the factory, etc. His work ethic was 2nd to none, be it in the gym, on track testing, or at the factory/garage...first to arrive, last to leave. One thing I also very much liked about him was the fact that he was a family man...he was just as obsessed with his wife and kids as he was with racing. As big Schumi fan myself, I admit I made lots of excuses for why the Hill, Villeneuve incidents, etc., were clearly not Schumi's fault! Haha

I must say, I'm finding that drivers like Max and Lando are making me watch every race again...

I was a Ferrari fan before their winning era under Schumacher, and I will always support them. I also stopped watching F1 under the Hamilton dominance as I absolutely cannot tolerate his level of arrogance. Seeing that just peeves me. Strangely though I am starting to get drawn back to F1 again since watching the Netflix series on the last couple of F1 seasons. I finished watching season 2 last night.

I have also now come to realize that being a good racing driver in F1 these days means you have to be a bit of a ******** too, so I guess Hamilton is not all bad. I see the same in Verstappen, Gasly, Sainz, Ricciardo and a few more.

I also watched some of the World Surf League events and some background on some of the surfers, and there the same character traits are on display among the world champ contenders. Being at the top of the sport seems to mean stepping on heads and a ton of back stabbing and ego. I've made peace with it and have actually started to enjoy the sport again. I've somewhat softened to Mercedes, but I still don't like Hamilton much.

The racers I miss are guys like (apart from the obvious Schumi) Rubens Barrichello, Juan Montoya, Jenson Button, Ralph Shumacher and even some Mika Hakkinen (although he's probably still behind a bush somewhere having a cry...). These guys always entertained in their racing as well as off the race course.

2 hours ago, Robbie Stewart said:

I was a Ferrari fan before their winning era under Schumacher, and I will always support them. I also stopped watching F1 under the Hamilton dominance as I absolutely cannot tolerate his level of arrogance. Seeing that just peeves me. Strangely though I am starting to get drawn back to F1 again since watching the Netflix series on the last couple of F1 seasons. I finished watching season 2 last night.

I have also now come to realize that being a good racing driver in F1 these days means you have to be a bit of a ******** too, so I guess Hamilton is not all bad. I see the same in Verstappen, Gasly, Sainz, Ricciardo and a few more.

I also watched some of the World Surf League events and some background on some of the surfers, and there the same character traits are on display among the world champ contenders. Being at the top of the sport seems to mean stepping on heads and a ton of back stabbing and ego. I've made peace with it and have actually started to enjoy the sport again. I've somewhat softened to Mercedes, but I still don't like Hamilton much.

The racers I miss are guys like (apart from the obvious Schumi) Rubens Barrichello, Juan Montoya, Jenson Button, Ralph Shumacher and even some Mika Hakkinen (although he's probably still behind a bush somewhere having a cry...). These guys always entertained in their racing as well as off the race course.

That is why guys like Jack Miller in MotoGP are such a breathe of fresh air. Even though he rides for the top factory team he will call a spade a spade. Not PR BS, just says it as it is. Love it!!

On 6/24/2021 at 6:53 PM, WrightJnr said:

snip

On 6/25/2021 at 5:19 PM, aiyaaz said:

snip

OT again: here we were in 2002! saw this the other day and took a picture. Thats me helping with the start....20y ish ago lol. This was Pine Town street race. HNMT9764.JPG.a9fa95ea47ef61c839fcadc7f8ee98b7.JPG

8 hours ago, aiyaaz said:

I must say, I'm finding that drivers like Max and Lando are making me watch every race again...

snip

Thats because he (max) reminds us of the bad-ass-ery of yesteryear. He has old school badass wibes about him even though he is only 23. His ruthless win-at-all cost attitude reminds me alot of a young (and not so young lol) MSC. Some will call it arrogance. I think it's ABSOLUTE, unadulterated belief in his own abilities. He KNOWS he's the best...he doesn't THINK he is. 

MSC once alluded to it in a top gear interview...The Hill/JV incedents happed 1: because he learned that trade from Prost and Senna. thats what you did back then lol. 2: He truly believed they were inferior drivers to him and just couldnt accept them beating him. 

Edited by MORNE

19 hours ago, Robbie Stewart said:

A little hijack but as I have mentioned on other forums my wife has a coaching company and was in the HPC squad for the 2012 Olympics so I have been very lucky to meet some ex and current Olympians as well as a few Elite Athletes who she trains now.  I've also met some extremely talented Athletes who should have made it, but didn't.  And the one thing I can identify between those two groups is what you have mentioned above - a win at all costs mentality - even if it means screwing over your best mate.  And there's no sympathy when they do hey - business as usual on Monday after a race.

Anyway, back to F1 - I've recently discovered the Beyond the Grid F1 podcasts, and for someone who was a big fan of F1 in the 80's and 90's its been brilliant hearing old F1 drivers talking about events which I clearly remember.  There's a few common threads:

Senna was insanely talented and ruthless, MSC was not the Angel he made out to be, Prost was also brilliant, Gerhard Berger and Jean Alesi were always causing *** and Flavio Briatore was really really scaly.  If there were rules to be broken he had no issue doing so.  Of the older driver episodes, I enjoyed the one with Alan Jones the best - would have loved to have had an AJ-type driver in the group of today.

As for the local drivers, I have newfound respect for Sergio Perez, as well as George Russell and Lando Norris.

And I'll finish with "Cash Money, Bitches!" Guess who taught his Nephew to say that!

????

my cousin's collection. He has the complete set. The rest are just out of shot to the top and ends with his mercedes cars. He finally completed the collection this week with the 93 Benetton (the yellow one next to the first blue one). It has been a 10y project scouring ebay etc. these are SUPER RARE. 

that bottom row of cars cost more than some of the e-bikes on here in classifieds. 

c08c4987-49b7-454f-a840-90a8446807be.jpg

Edited by MORNE

On 6/30/2021 at 9:22 PM, MORNE said:

Thats because he (max) reminds us of the bad-ass-ery of yesteryear. He has old school badass wibes about him even though he is only 23. His ruthless win-at-all cost attitude reminds me alot of a young (and not so young lol) MSC. Some will call it arrogance. I think it's ABSOLUTE, unadulterated belief in his own abilities. He KNOWS he's the best...he doesn't THINK he is. 

MSC once alluded to it in a top gear interview...The Hill/JV incedents happed 1: because he learned that trade from Prost and Senna. thats what you did back then lol. 2: He truly believed they were inferior drivers to him and just couldnt accept them beating him. 

I just wanted to add Lando back here. That oke copes under pressure more than most.

9 hours ago, Pure Savage said:

I just wanted to add Lando back here. That oke copes under pressure more than most.

he is good. But I think he's Button good if that makes sense. He probably has a WDC in him somewhere if the stars align....but unfortunately for him....He is on the grid with a generational talent in Max Verstappen. That was the case with all the epic drivers that shared the grid with MSC in the 2000's. The Montoya's et al. All super drivers but with basically nothing to show for it. 

PS...also welcome back! We missed you around here. Your Bottas'ness needs to stop now though....your 2 week pitstops need to stop too. We need the whole team to pull their weight????☺️

Edited by MORNE

12 minutes ago, MORNE said:

he is good. But I think he's Button good if that makes sense. He probably has a WDC in him somewhere if the stars align....but unfortunately for him....He is on the grid with a generational talent in Max Verstappen. That was the case with all the epic drivers that shared the grid with MSC in the 2000's. The Montoya's et al. All super drivers but with basically nothing to show for it. 

PS...also welcome back! We missed you around here. Your Bottas'ness needs to stop now though....your 2 week pitstops need to stop too. We need the whole team to pull their weight????☺️

He's been too busy with the new house fitting p#rn star blue lights in the garden.

16 hours ago, Pure Savage said:

Love Kimi giving hamilton and Mazepin the finger and then saying he was pointing out the birds...

Getting the finger from Kimi must surely be seen as a honor? I mean the mere fact that he is acknowledging your existence would be one Lol