Formula 1...

'Dale

...until he klapped the wall! But yeah, that guys has lots of potential. I'd bet good money he is going to out qualify and out race Massa this year.

Yeah. But this safety car will definitely work in his favour!

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Brilliant racing from Magnusson and Bottas! Rosberg also giving a flawless performance

Yeah! Exciting stuff. Magnusson ahead of Button in his first F1 race is impressive stuff.

via thermoelectric generators or via a turbine

for the former see here: http://en.wikipedia....ctric_generator

They are not using thermocouples, they are heavy and like 2% efficient, but a turbine on the exhaust system as you say. Found some more info:

From http://www.formula1.com

"MGU-H is an energy recovery system connected to the turbocharger of the engine and converts heat energy from exhaust gases into electrical energy. The energy can then be used to power the MGU-K (and thus the drivetrain) or be retained in the ES for subsequent use. Unlike the MGU-K which is limited to recovering 2MJ of energy per lap, the MGU-H is unlimited. "

That doesn't really give any technical details, but found some more info on www.f1technical.net

"At the heart of the 2014 Power Unit will be a combination of internal combustion (IC) engine and electric motor, the latter powered primarily by energy captured from the exhaust stream of the former. That stream will power a turbine that both supercharges the engine and drives a motor/generator unit (the ‘MGU-H’), which is permitted to supply electrical energy direct (and in quantities unlimited by regulation) to an electric motor/generator unit (the ‘MGU-K’) coupled directly to the crankshaft of the IC engine."

Andy Cowell is now managing director of Brixworth, England-based Mercedes AMG High Performance Powertrain (HPP):

“What will matter in 2014 is the conversion efficiency in the combustion chamber and the reduction in mechanical friction, and then downstream of the IC engine process, the ability not to have [all the] waste energy going down the exhaust system but to harvest as much of that as possible with the single turbine that’s permitted in the regulations. That’s going to be a key aspect – not only the turbocharging but also the electric machine coupled to the turbine.”

So basically its a electric generator hooked up to the turbo charger

http://www.global.tdk.com/techmag/topics/img/img_topics_vol1_4.gif

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-T_84VFtj3wk/UPROC_ecbcI/AAAAAAAACxM/u1kBAyE8qNg/s1600/MMarelli+Motorsport+F1+2014+ERS_Energy+Recovery+System.jpg

Although it seemed slower, really enjoyed the race... And love the new (Old) Williams colour scheme! Want a bike with Martini theme! haha

It is speculated that the Renault MGU-H is utilising both ATEC and a turbine thats whats why I included it. Its for this reason, it's thought, that they have been having trouble getting the syncronisation between ICE and MGU's working properly, resulting in poor reliability, poor turbo scavenging, excess heat and all the other problems.

Iwan said: "Slowly but surely the Renaults are dying on us... "

really, 2nd, 9th and 10th and running in the points all day = dying on us?

It is speculated that the Renault MGU-H is utilising both ATEC and a turbine thats whats why I included it. Its for this reason, it's thought, that they have been having trouble getting the syncronisation between ICE and MGU's working properly, resulting in poor reliability, poor turbo scavenging, excess heat and all the other problems.

Surely the regulations are explicit about what can be used in this energy recovery system?

I am starting to think you own a Renault or work for them. :ph34r: We had 4 Reanult engines fail, one Mercedes and all Ferrari engines finished the race. So there we go, based on that ,Renault was the kakkest engine of the day. By miles. Edited by Johny Bravo

Was said before the end of the race, so yeah... But also 3 out of 8 made it to the finish, so yes. Dying.

Nothing against them, though. I would love for Caterham to take their first points this year and enjoyed Lotus' season last year. We need all the teams and engines at the front!

Although it seemed slower, really enjoyed the race... And love the new (Old) Williams colour scheme! Want a bike with Martini theme! haha

So do I!

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-vPbNwQq9FJ8/UdSAVFpA4pI/AAAAAAAAut4/s8B6FwXij2k/s1600/Martini+Harleys+by+Shaw+Speed+e+Custom+02.jpg

So do I!

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-vPbNwQq9FJ8/UdSAVFpA4pI/AAAAAAAAut4/s8B6FwXij2k/s1600/Martini+Harleys+by+Shaw+Speed+e+Custom+02.jpg

I know nothing about motorbikes, but those Harley's are one of the suicide rockets ill get on :drool:

I see Ricciardo is disqualified due to fuel flow issues, feel a bit for him, especially since it was a home podium and he was so ecstatic

http://www.racingfan...d-for-fuel.html

Feel very sad for him, but the arrogance of Red Bull is amazing. they were warned during the race and did nothing to rectify it. They are well known for bending the rules to suit them.

Yeah, that must be a tough one to swallow. RBR owe him big time.

Just remembered that each driver only have 5 engines this season. Guys like Hamilton who lost one today are going to feel it towards the end of the season.