Formula 1...

'Dale

Agree. Similar to the Red Bull era. Mercedes (just like the Red Bull in the prior years) have a clear advantage. Once out front with a comfortable margin the race basically stops (for the front runners - real action at the back of the field) and we have fuel saving, tyre management, turning engine 'down', etc. Boring! I want to see them racing each other until the end, not 'managing' the race. (Hamilton today was just like Vettel last year!)

Hopefully Red Bull (read Renault) can catch up (and Mclaren and Ferrari, but I think Red Bull have a better chance) and we see some racing! Hamilton vs Vettel wheel to wheel is what I want to see.

Its early days. The RB is fundamentally a very good car and was quite a bit quicker than Rosberg in the twisty middle sector.

Renault are the first to acknowledge they are behind on the power unit - I don't expect them to match the Merc by the end of the season but their deficit WILL decrease. So, by mid year, assume they are a little closer in BHP, and their chassis is better, we could still see an interesting battle with different streanths suiting different circuits.

I do agree on the fuel saving though - thats really not F1. Take away the fuel limit and the fuel flow rate limit and we would see some really interesting racing (though possibly also even more Merc domination)

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If I remember correctly, last year was quite exciting - until certain teams went and wined about tyres and they changed the tyre specs mid-season, taking everybody who designed cars that actually worked with the original tyres out of the picture. FIA brilliance to the fore yet again.

And face it, Aus was the same as last year, all the overtaking taking place behind the leader, who simply managed the gap. They (Merc) never revealed their hand and never showed close to full potential, as I stated after the race.

Don't write off Kimi yet. He had Alonso's number all weekend, just missed out on qualifying in the wet (where Alonso is good). And then mr Magnussen sniped him on lap 1 - you don't recovery from that nowadays. But after two rounds, 2-0 for Alonso.

Had a huge grin at the whole Williams radio message saga throughout the race - that was entertaining!

Quite interesting to see how quickly RB regained their pace... and how McLaren stepped backwards over the weekend. Wondering whether it's track characteristics that suited the Maccas in Aus, whether some cars work better on certain tyre compounds... or whether the Bulls simply found their wings.

Will be interesting to see how many of the people that complained about them last year will end up cheering for them this year if the Mercs continue to overwhelm everybody and RB does manage to take the fight to them. :whistling:

If I remember correctly, last year was quite exciting - until certain teams went and wined about tyres and they changed the tyre specs mid-season, taking everybody who designed cars that actually worked with the original tyres out of the picture. FIA brilliance to the fore yet again.

And face it, Aus was the same as last year, all the overtaking taking place behind the leader, who simply managed the gap. They (Merc) never revealed their hand and never showed close to full potential, as I stated after the race.

Don't write off Kimi yet. He had Alonso's number all weekend, just missed out on qualifying in the wet (where Alonso is good). And then mr Magnussen sniped him on lap 1 - you don't recovery from that nowadays. But after two rounds, 2-0 for Alonso.

Had a huge grin at the whole Williams radio message saga throughout the race - that was entertaining!

Quite interesting to see how quickly RB regained their pace... and how McLaren stepped backwards over the weekend. Wondering whether it's track characteristics that suited the Maccas in Aus, whether some cars work better on certain tyre compounds... or whether the Bulls simply found their wings.

Will be interesting to see how many of the people that complained about them last year will end up cheering for them this year if the Mercs continue to overwhelm everybody and RB does manage to take the fight to them. :whistling:

All very good points, I think the Ferrari engine will have the best chance of catching the Merc power unit. They are very reliable and economical. So lets hope. It is only 2 races so far Merc have dominated, so I am not tired of it yet, Red Bull dominated for the last 4 years. That got very tiring. But again the lack of pace from the lower teams is just shocking, Caterham, Marussia etc.

Can someone help me with Riccardo's penalty as I fell asleep watching the race.

I saw the wheel come loose and understand he was given a 10s stop and go penalty. I dozed off and the next thing I see was his car being wheeled into the garage.

Did he do the stop and go penalty or not? It seems a bit harsh to get the penalty during the race and have a second penaly for the next.

seemed to have found the answer on an obsure website

Although he also received a 10-second stop/go penalty during the race, under the 2014 Formula 1 rules a grid demotion at the subsequent race is also applied.

Can someone help me with Riccardo's penalty as I fell asleep watching the race.

I saw the wheel come loose and understand he was given a 10s stop and go penalty. I dozed off and the next thing I see was his car being wheeled into the garage.

Did he do the stop and go penalty or not? It seems a bit harsh to get the penalty during the race and have a second penaly for the next.

He was wheeled back and the front right wheel was secured properly.

2 laps later his front wing failed and led to his front left tyre being damaged and at that stage I think they decided to rather retire.

Whether the retirement led to the penalty in the next race I'm not sure. Don't recall seeing him actually serve his stop/go so perhaps thats the reason for the penalty in the next race. Also with retirement they are able to replace the gearbox I believe.

Edited by Steven Knoetze (sk27)

12:34 Here's how the top 10 stacked up in that first session:

1 Hamilton, 1m37.502s

2 Rosberg, 1m37.733s

3 Alonso, 1m37.953s

4 Hulkenberg, 1m38.122s

5 Button, 1m38.636s

6 Raikkonen, 1m38.783s

7 Magnussen, 1m38.949s

8 Kvyat, 1m39.056s

9 Perez, 1m39.102s

10 Vettel, 1m39.389s

He was wheeled back and the front right wheel was secured properly.

2 laps later his front wing failed and led to his front left tyre being damaged and at that stage I think they decided to rather retire.

Whether the retirement led to the penalty in the next race I'm not sure. Don't recall seeing him actually serve his stop/go so perhaps thats the reason for the penalty in the next race. Also with retirement they are able to replace the gearbox I believe.

What Baldrick said.

From f1.com

"Under 2014's revised regulations, any driver who is unsafely released not only incurs a 10-second stop and go penalty if they continue in the race, but also receives an automatic 10-place grid drop for the subsequent event."

Bahrain:

Merc 1-2

Riccardo 3rd

Merc in a league of their own. Riciardo showing us Vettel is not as good as you guys thought. One thing I can confirm, F1 is all about the car. He who has the best car will win. End of story. Rookies quicker than Button, alonso and Kimi, all former F1 world champs, Vettel in 11th, 4x world champ. Car is key. Seriously. Edited by Johny Bravo

Merc in a league of their own. Riciardo showing us Vettel is not as good as you guys thought. One thing I can confirm, F1 is all about the car. He who has the best car will win. End of story. Rookies quicker than Button, alonso and Kimi, all former F1 world champs, Vettel in 11th, 4x world champ. Car is key. Seriously.

for this one race it may be the case.

Remember they are all champions due to consistency over an entire season.

Like button vs barichello in brawn, vettel and Webber, both had same car but the champion wins the season.

Lets see in 5 races.

This F1 season reminds of A1, the commentators and the engine sounds and speeds are the same. The driver that has been standing out most last year and so far this season is Hulkenburg, give that man a mid fielder car and he will rake in the podiums. It also seems DRS is less of a factor for some reason, I am not very happy with F1 so far this season but I will give it a few more races.

http://sniffpetrol.com/category/smallads/

http://livesniffpetrol.s3.amazonaws.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/Smallad140403.jpg

http://livesniffpetrol.s3.amazonaws.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/Smallad140324.jpg

http://livesniffpetrol.s3.amazonaws.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/Smallad140227.jpg

http://livesniffpetrol.s3.amazonaws.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/Smallad140110.jpg