What Brakes does Kevin Evans Use?

levett

So, it's looking like Avid Elixir 5's.

I just can not decide from the meager pics if they are running XTR rotors - the new stainless/ali/stainless, or the stock Avids. I see an insert between hub and rotor in some pics - XTR?

If so, and XTR and there was heat fade, someone might have to go back to the drawing board.

Who, Evans on the Elixir 5's ?

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

See their bikespost-1599-0-87895500-1301409348.jpg

I dont have my glasses and that pic is slightly blurry, but they look like Scrub Rotors to me.

post-615-0-18722900-1301419675.jpg

post-615-0-48354800-1301419681.jpg

Anyone ever wonder if he maybe just plain ran out of talent.............

Dude not even going to bother ripping you one on this one. You just ripped yourself one. Unlucky he might be but he is a savva legend.

Sheez sounds like some okes have never been mountain biking. The unexpected happens constantly chaps. Poor Kev, class guy, but he'll be back.thumbup1.gif

Big wheel, small rotor. Too much load for too long. Brake Fluid boiled. That is my 26 bits... Happened to me at Rhodes on 26er.

I wouldve used my one foot pushed on the top of my back wheel to slow it down, i mean rather a worn shoe than a broken collar bone....just my opinion :)

Try taking one foot off the pedal and onto your back wheel on a steep technicla descent... hmmmm, think you might end up with more than a broken collarbone.:thumbdown:

Big wheel, small rotor. Too much load for too long. Brake Fluid boiled. That is my 26 bits... Happened to me at Rhodes on 26er.

I will trade MTB tips for driving tips :lol:

Try taking one foot off the pedal and onto your back wheel on a steep technicla descent... hmmmm, think you might end up with more than a broken collarbone.:thumbdown:

Well his Hub name is MTB-Roadie

The thing is this: He started the descent and soon realized he already had no brakes... so it couldn't have been heat fade, if it was fade he would still have had some power to slow down, or let the brakes go to cool, and reapply. He must have had a complete failure all at once.

If they faded he could also have decided earlier to bail.

Compltete failure without a leak/cut in the system could only be air in the system, either taken in or present and airlocked somwhere in the resevoir. could also be a crush washer or something on the hose line that was faulty. Could both brakes have failed simultaneously? one would surely be enough to slow down somewhat?

There must be thousands of XX brakes in the field and how many instances have we had like this. I don't think in this case we can simply blame a lightweight rotor, the rotor is actually better at dissipating heat than a steel rotor - it just doesn't have the same longevity - I'm also guessing Kevin wouldn't use old rotors when lining up on day 1.

These guys know how to alternate brakes to avoid fade...

Flying down the mountain at 60 odd km/h trying to sty on track, dodging rocks, trees, holes and what not...

You would not be able to get you foot lifted that far back....

only time that you will come close to that, is when you feet are touching your arse while doing summersults after crashing :(

Yep I realised that, I am sure they brake way later into corners aswell so thats when he probably realised there was no brakes....

Compltete failure without a leak/cut in the system could only be air in the system, either taken in or present and airlocked somwhere in the resevoir. could also be a crush washer or something on the hose line that was faulty. Could both brakes have failed simultaneously? one would surely be enough to slow down somewhat?

I don't know what happened here, so I am not really commenting on Kevin's scenario.

But regarding brakes and this is just my opinion.

Brakes can get moisture in them, yes even fully sealed systems, and we are not talking a lot.

Moisture, condensation, oil and heat don't really work well together.

I will conclude by saying this, too many people bleed brakes without getting rid of all the old fluid first.

On Avid brakes I actually "suck" all the old fluid out and bleed complete with new brake fluid, this should deal rather well with the dreaded "brake fade" issue.

And no, I am not here to debate this to end in this topic, if there are those who feel the need to argue, then create a separate topic on the issue (where I will leave it open to the experts again)

I will trade MTB tips for driving tips :lol:

Sweet!Deal! but I'm not riding a H/T, rigid fork or big wheels. Yes I'm a wuss :blush: