Parys Island Dirtmax MTB

ruib

• 6 months later...

Any suggestions other than Sunwa for accommodation in Parys for this event - want to make a weekend of it, "manne naweek" - 4 guys. Want to have a braai, drink beer etc.... Any info....please!!!!

Edited by FuelEX

• 1 month later...

Just did my first Dirtmax, actually my first race of any kind. Well organized event, great atmosphere and all in all a very enjoyable experience.

Completed 60km yesterday, was ok but farmroad was very bumpy and felt like it was into the wind all the way!

I thought the race was flippin lekker. I went there expecting to do six laps of 10km and was pleasantly surprised to find it was a proper 60km loop, through the beautiful Parys countryside. If I had known it was going to be so rocky I would have run a higher pressure though; my hopes of a podium where dashed when I hit a big rock and punctured immediately. Fixed it and carried on a more relaxed pace than before. The last 2km were not so nice, with mud everywhere and short-distance riders blocking the trail.

I thought the race was flippin lekker. I went there expecting to do six laps of 10km and was pleasantly surprised to find it was a proper 60km loop, through the beautiful Parys countryside. If I had known it was going to be so rocky I would have run a higher pressure though; my hopes of a podium where dashed when I hit a big rock and punctured immediately. Fixed it and carried on a more relaxed pace than before. The last 2km were not so nice, with mud everywhere and short-distance riders blocking the trail.

It is a very nice route and I think the race deserves more support from Gauteng MTB'ers - but it seems the organisers don't do enough to promote it on sites like this?

I'm running 1.8bar tyre pressures on large volume tubeless 29" tyres and didn't feel like that was too low (I weigh 85kg's). Having said that the route is rocky and I chose to sacrifice some pace to avoid the worst of the rocks.

I don't like the finish either - having to find your way past very slow 30km riders on very narrow single track is no fun but this problem isn't unique to this race. I had a big fall after trying to squeeze past someone which exactly what I did last month... I'm clearly a slow learner.

But it is nice to ride this route every month and be able to compare your race pace on the same route each time - I did the same time as last month which was disappointing but I'll be back in May to hopefully take some time off that.