Bottelary Hills MTB Trails

Hellwarp

How safe are these trails to ride on your own on weekends.  I assume with JOnkers being out, the trails should be quite busy, but I don't like taking chances with these type of things.

I need some big rides for the Sani2C and this is one of a few spots with the trails for 4 hour rides.

Cheers!

I rode Bottelary for the first time this weekend (on my own) - no issues and saw a number of other riders on the routes (although granted this ride is a massive sample size of 1)

Think it is good training for Sani2C, not as much singletrack as at Tygerberg but enough to have fun inbetween the farm road climbs.

The whole loop from Zevenwacht took me about 3 hours to complete (although I probably missed a piece or 2) 

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been riding here on my own for the last year, once or twice over the weekends as time permits and I have not had any problems what so ever. I have seen plenty of other solo riders of both genders on my travels over the 3 years.

I must commend the trail guys in constantly upgrading / developing the trails and always upping the fun factor.

Day permits will now also be sold at the new coffee shop at Hazendal (see attached photos), but only from 8 am.  If you want to ride earlier, please buy your permits at the Engen garage at Soneike, Kuilsriver.  The coffee shop is to your right just before you enter the parking lot.  There is also a bike wash in the corner of the parking lot near the barns. We will put up signage next week.  Bike racks will also be ready soon.

All cyclist (even roadies!) are welcome.  There is a paved road for roadies all the way to the coffee shop. 

1.pdf

2.pdf

3.pdf

Edited by dirtman

How safe are these trails to ride on your own on weekends.  I assume with JOnkers being out, the trails should be quite busy, but I don't like taking chances with these type of things.

I need some big rides for the Sani2C and this is one of a few spots with the trails for 4 hour rides.

Cheers!

I ride these trails 3/4 times a week, 50% solo.

just want to confirm that you can start at the Devon Valley Hotel. I don't see it on map of the trails showing the start points.

just want to confirm that you can start at the Devon Valley Hotel. I don't see it on map of the trails showing the start points.

A buddy and myself rode there on Sunday we started at Asara awesome trails good training for sani2c you can easily get a 4 hour ride.

Rather start your ride at Asara.  Devon Valley Hotel is an "unofficial" starting point - due to gates that were installed it is not that easy joining the route from there and certain route markers have also been removed.   If you know the route, then you can start at Devon Valley Hotel.  If not, you will get lost, so rather start at Asara.   

Rather start your ride at Asara.  Devon Valley Hotel is an "unofficial" starting point - due to gates that were installed it is not that easy joining the route from there and certain route markers have also been removed.   If you know the route, then you can start at Devon Valley Hotel.  If not, you will get lost, so rather start at Asara.   

Best option to join the trails from Devonvalley Hotel is to follow the Devonvalley tar road back down to the entrance of Dwars-in-die-weg (big dam directly adjacent to the road) from where you can join the yellow loop.

Day permits are on sale from Devon Valley Hotel 24/7, but as Dirtman said, it is not directly on the route like most of the other starting options.

Thanks for all the replies. Reason we wanted to start at DV hotel is we want to start early (7.30) and have a beer afterwards. Any other start points on the trail that fulfill those requirements?

On a hot day I find it hard to cycle past the wine and craft beer shop in Vlottenburg without having a cold one first

Edited by Zatopek

Thanks for all the replies. Reason we wanted to start at DV hotel is we want to start early (7.30) and have a beer afterwards. Any other start points on the trail that fulfill those requirements?

You should be able to get a beer at all the starting points, as there are coffee shops or restaurants at all of them.  To get a permit at 7.30 am however you need to start at Asara, DV Hotel or Zevenwacht.  If you are coming from the northern suburbs, you can buy a permit at the Engen Garage (24 hours per day) at Soneike, Kuilsriver (next to Bottelary road) and start your ride from Hazendal.    

Bike racks up and ready now! You can sit outside, drink your coffee and gaze at your beloved bike/wife.

Day permits will now also be sold at the new coffee shop at Hazendal (see attached photos), but only from 8 am.  If you want to ride earlier, please buy your permits at the Engen garage at Soneike, Kuilsriver.  The coffee shop is to your right just before you enter the parking lot.  There is also a bike wash in the corner of the parking lot near the barns. We will put up signage next week.  Bike racks will also be ready soon.

All cyclist (even roadies!) are welcome.  There is a paved road for roadies all the way to the coffee shop.