Bottelary Hills MTB Trails

Hellwarp

Here are the garmin files for Red/Green/Orange and Yellow routes etc, all recorded in the last 10 months or so...

attachicon.gifmaps.zip

Thanks Chainmail

Looks like your tracks are 99% up to date and includes all except the yellow loop (perhaps I missed it).

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Rode the red route today with some green, pink, yellow and blue thrown in.  Loads of fun.

On a short piece of single-track I rode into and over a 2m long, loose piece of fencing wire that got wrapped around my rear wheel.  I doubt that it was maliciously placed there -  wrapped it up and tossed it far from the track.

Thanks Chainmail

Looks like your tracks are 99% up to date and includes all except the yellow loop (perhaps I missed it).

Apologies, gremlin in the pc. Here it is!  Have zipped up the missing file as The Hub SA won't allow me to attach the plain old kml file?!?

Bottelary Yellow route.zip

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys

Picked up a chain breaker and set of tyre leavers on one of the single tracks this afternoon. Found them not far apart, so it could have been from an open saddle bag or so. PM me if you're missing something.

• 2 weeks later...

We have opened up a route via the culverts underneath Bottelary Road to enable riders to access the trails without having to cross Bottelary road - see attached map and photos.  The route is marked with pink arrows.  It might get flooded during winter, but should provide safe access to the route for at least 9 months per year.

post-4890-0-95204000-1431198683_thumb.jpg

post-4890-0-47658100-1431198767_thumb.jpg

post-4890-0-46499200-1431198802_thumb.jpg

post-4890-0-22038200-1431199120_thumb.jpg

Well done to the trail builders. Did my first ride there this Am and loved it. Best bit is that we only did 22km (purple, some red and green) so there must be more to find!

If you did 22 km then there are another 40 kilometers to do - see the video below for some sections you missed out on.   

Went back through the thread and see you are one of the actual builders. I gotta complement on the way you have done pretty much the whole trail on a level that is hard enough to have a real jol, but that relative beginners can do most of it. Other than the steep climbs on the start of the purple single track when I was glaring into the sun and couldn't see a thing and one slightly dodgy right hand switchback on purple where a rut caught me, I didn't need to put a foot down. Reminded me very much of my favourite Grabouw trails mixed with a bit of the scarier Tygerberg trails,which means for me it is just right.

My Garmin map looks almost nothing like the maps on the site though, so look forward to the updated maps cos I can't remember where I may have missed turn offs.

It is I .....

And crashing MTB as well!

Gees Simon, we can take you no where :eek:  Maybe it's time for a zimmerframe bud :wacko:  ^_^ Glad you enjoyed the trail, let me know next time you're out this way.

Thanks for the route mod under the culvert guys, that's a great addition to make the trail safer. I discovered it by chance on Sat afternoon :thumbup:

Gees Simon, we can take you no where :eek:  Maybe it's time for a zimmerframe bud :wacko:  ^_^ Glad you enjoyed the trail, let me know next time you're out this way.

Thanks for the route mod under the culvert guys, that's a great addition to make the trail safer. I discovered it by chance on Sat afternoon :thumbup:

He! He!

I did a lekker 40km loop on Saturday afternoon, the trail was fantastic!

• 2 weeks later...

With the rain arriving at last we have started with maintenance. Currently busy on Fish Eagle (yellow route).  All the bridges have been covered with chicken mesh, two of the rutted drop-offs as well as the rubbish dump section have had a made-over with grass-blocks and two boggy sections have been sorted out with a board-walk and  grass-blocks.  The team has also started rebuilding the single track sections.   Work on Fish Eagle should be completed by Wednesday next week and we will then move on to the other single track sections that need attention.

The rutted sections on Mongoose (green route) are still a problem.  Have tested the soil today and it is still too dry to start working there - so please be patient, we need more rain on those sections.  

Rode it today. Already had a few wheels over it & looking good.

Sorry to see the steep little climb being bypassed, although it should require less maintenance.